Let's talk about the spears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Only buff spears need is that they should stop bouncing off people and deal 3 damage. That's it. They are already great weapons for support roles if used right.
Are you talking Multiplayer or something? Because this post is entirely out of touch with the singleplayer experience.
Bannerlord SP isn't an MMO or Overwatch, the only "support" you need is shield removal, which two-handed troops fulfill while dealing ****tons of damage.
As it stands, spears do such bad damage and attack so slowly that ones without brace capability (like 80% of troop spears in the game can't brace) have no reason to exist.

I guess we both misunderstood each other xD I didn't say you were taking any position. I just wanted to refocus on the main issue that OP is pointing out in this thread.
Spears are always gonna have a limited use in this game but at least they have to be functional and versatile. That's why they were the standard in each army.

Fair enough about the part on Romans.

The issue I have is that spears have limited uses. They need to have some pros and cons - the pro IMO should be that they are good in field battles where there is flat terrain for longer spears when in formation.

Are you talking Multiplayer or something? Because this post is entirely out of touch with the singleplayer experience.
Bannerlord SP isn't an MMO or Overwatch, the only "support" you need is shield removal, which two-handed troops fulfill while dealing ****tons of damage.
As it stands, spears do such bad damage and attack so slowly that ones without brace capability (like 80% of troop spears in the game can't brace) have no reason to exist.
Yeah i was talking about MP

Fair enough about the part on Romans.

The issue I have is that spears have limited uses. They need to have some pros and cons - the pro IMO should be that they are good in field battles where there is flat terrain for longer spears when in formation.

If you go historical and actual use for pros vs cons, spears could be harder to use in close-combat, forcing you to fall back or drop to a second hand sword (as infantry actually did). They could also make it so room of your weapon matters for strikes and swings, such as making spears get caught on objects doing over head swings, swipes, etc. It could add some interesting limitations not just to spears, but for other polearms, greatswords and even swords (in some extreme situations). Of course, that would be asking way too much for Bannerlord. lol

this is a great idea. you just can't fight with 200cm spear when you dismounted, would be better to use from 100cm with more enhanced handling, more stabbing.. you should suggest to the dev team.

What they can do to fix it, is make all spears swing and add a weapon mod (x) where you hold the spear closer to the pointy end for close combat.
That's how historically spear wielders done it when an enemy got close
main-qimg-0f02ffdd3d509d7530209df87d93e226

this is a great idea. you just can't fight with 200cm spear when you dismounted, would be better to use from 100cm with more enhanced handling, more stabbing.. you should suggest to the dev team.
Exactly, depending on the length of the spear you would have to hold further from the pointy end. It won't beat a sword or an axe in close combat but it will still function instead of bouncing back. It is purpose at this point is to stagger the enemy until you regain distance and switch back to long range mode.
I don't know if the AI would use it that way, the mode option will at least make them less useless. Spearman AI should be rewritten and be programmed to favor distance even on charge command, maybe even have them with better shields for all factions and lighter armor for mobility.

Back
Top Bottom