Let's Play - Blood & Gold: Caribbean! v2.080

Users who are viewing this thread

Plasquar

Grandmaster Knight
dPb2JsN.png

While browsing the Taleworlds forum I stumbled upon this game and after looking at it for some time I decided to get it and to play it.
I love the Caribbean and I love Warband. Perfect match.

So here's my Let's Play of it:
(Link to the playlist)

Many people claim this is a "paid mod". Can't really say anything about that since I haven't seen much of it yet.
But so far I like it. A lot.
Let's see what happens.  :cool:

Interesting as you remains loyal to M&B series, for exemple thia was not included in Mount & Blade Complete Collection because not was developed by Taleworlds but is part of series how states a video about evolution of M&B

Arnulf Floyd said:
[...]evolution of M&B

Not so sure about that yet. They claim it's an "enhanced" version of the Warband engine but we'll see about that as soon as I do some larger (naval) battles.
But building a new game with the Warband engine as a base seems like a good idea to me. Most of the hotkeys are the same and you instantly get a feel for the game.

Is good as  you have adding diversity alongside all-female playthrough, but you similar to ArcadeKnight and TheVmpShow make videos with Warband mods not native, latter I will playing rare because I not playing my games without mods

Some quirks of Blood and Gold:

1) game options reset after starting a new game, so you always have to go back and change them again after creating the character

2) there is a bug where robbers and bandits will destroy themselves by entering a port city. If you take a quest to kill them, you basically have to park yourself on the right island and attack them as soon as they spawn. Usually too annoying, avoid those quests. Quests to kill smugglers work fine.

3)the best weapons and armor are exclusively sold by special master armorer and weaponsmiths that randomly appear in taverns. Genoise carbines and Turkish muskets, to use guns as examples, are the best high damage and high reload speed guns, and only sold by special merchants.

4) grenades are extremely powerful but costly to use as ammo does not recharge from them ever.

5) there are 2 storyline campaigns hidden within the game.

6) death is much more punishing than Warband. Expect to be stripped of all your equipment and gold, and have to escape from forced labor.

7) a banker is in every town square, store money with him. All payments for wages come from that stored money, and it is also safe if you get captured.

8 )sea combat is a mini game that plays much like Sid Meier pirates, but less fun. Like in Pirates, you will probably mostly ignore it and just ram your ship to board. Boarding is lots of fun.

9) the distribution of your soldiers formula is punishing if you have multiple ships in your fleet, and boarding is usually about how many soldiers you have, so try to keep as few ships as possible.

10) suspicious man missions in taverns are extremely profitable and can be run back to back. But death in them generally means losing all equipment and money, as normal, and many of them put you in dangerous conditions.

Yeah I already noticed most of that as well.  :wink:
I failed some quests from the suspicious man already but so far nothing happend (Assassination of a noblemen and something else, can't remember).
But if I lose everything that's fine. I'll just start from scratch.  :cool:

Oh my dear, but is normally to lose in first playthrough, also I lose and I not have still a completed campaign

Failing the suspicious man quests has no penalty, but dying in them means all equipment and money is lost as you are sold to servitude.

It is fun though, because you then have this whole special part of the game where you can try to forge relationships with fellow prisoners and attempt a revolt or try to escape yourself, or try to bribe or cajole the owner into letting you go.

Yeah, that's definitely the best thing about B&G, even when you die you still have plenty of stuff to do.

As a note, most of suspicious man quests are for when your character is pretty decent and you're quite comfortable with your skills. There's a whole bunch of them that bring no penalty for failing or have easy escape routes, so search for those. Some are incredibly hard, but I believe it will be better for you to find out which by yourself :razz:

Lords are also giving out special quests now and those require you to have a pretty decent party and be an active fighter to pass. They are also some pretty crazy stuff comparing to the usual M&B tasks.

Also, forget about muskets, that's a weakling talk. You get a blunderbuss and you just annihilate whole flocks of enemies as they come, screaming 'yarr-harr!' all you want, like a real pirate (and it is incredibly useful for quickly dispatching guards spawning in mine when suspicious man orders you to blow it up).

It is worth remembering that it is still an old M&B engine. Warband already put an additional weight on its shoulders and in B&G it's just overburdened. It's absolutely crazy stuff, though, everything is so over the top in that game. Also, watch out for the main menu theme, it gets stuck in your head and never gets out :wink:

Do not look here said:
Lords are also giving out special quests now and those require you to have a pretty decent party and be an active fighter to pass. They are also some pretty crazy stuff comparing to the usual M&B tasks.

Oh yes. :shifty:
I just fought off some attackers with a cannon. That was awesome. BOOM 10 people dead.

Do not look here said:
Also, forget about muskets, that's a weakling talk. You get a blunderbuss and you just annihilate whole flocks of enemies as they come, screaming 'yarr-harr!' all you want, like a real pirate (and it is incredibly useful for quickly dispatching guards spawning in mine when suspicious man orders you to blow it up).

It is worth remembering that it is still an old M&B engine. Warband already put an additional weight on its shoulders and in B&G it's just overburdened. It's absolutely crazy stuff, though, everything is so over the top in that game. Also, watch out for the main menu theme, it gets stuck in your head and never gets out :wink:

Yep I think I'll get a blunderbuss again soon. And the music...
WHAT WILL WE U WITH THE RUNKEN SAILOR
EARLAI IN THA MORNIN

Just wait till you get your hands on ships of the line and besiege a city from sea :wink:
8ygzN.jpg

The game is imbalanced as hell, as you probably noticed you can just farm suspicious man for money, but I believe that's intended by the devs. They didn't just deal you a hand of cards, they gave you whole deck to do with it as you want. Out of everything, the land battles are the weakest part, because their Totally-not-WarbandTM approach made them redesign something that worked. You can get used to it, though, or avoid fighting at land at all (and fighting against natives is still fun as heck).

Grab a proper horse and go racing next, the (unfortunately, only one, afaik) track is absolutely ridiculous thing too!

Besieging cities from the sea? Nice.  :shock:

I already farmed like 100.000 gold from the suspicious guy and bought a nice flagship. And yeah, fighting the natives is fun as well.
Haven't checked out the horse racing yet because the quests keep me busy. So far I like each and every one of them.
But I always seem to screw up the assassination quests. My targets always manage to escape.  :lol:

To be honest, in my 100+ hours I maybe managed to shot that guy twice. It doesn't help that when you're used to blunderbuss firing in general direction instead of aiming becomes force of habit :razz:

That's B&G for you, to be honest. There's not that much strategy game in it, you can pay attention to your army roster, manage your enterprises and generally do all that stuff required to carry on fighting in Warband and its mods, but there's plenty of tools to bypass that completely and just bounce from action to action. Imo, it's really captivating for the first run and then one just keeps returning every once in a while for couple of hours, because it is still fun to repeat certain things even after you explored every nook and cranny.

I just wish there was more. It is not bad for what it is, but playing it you can see the outlines of much greater game it could be, but never had an occasion to become one.

I completely agree with your assessment, and that's how I use Blood and Gold as well. Really, there are too many things missing--it needs Caribbean trade winds that make western travel fast and eastern travel slow (like Sid Meier's Pirates), it needs a complete overhaul of ship-to-ship combat, it needs a lot more ship boarding scenes, and it needs governors' daughters (and a dancing mini-game wouldn't hurt as well).

I have downloaded ACOK 6.2 yesterday and I have begin playing it, but for me game played by you sounds more adventure than strategy, I not like pirates and ships because I prefer middle ages and knights, I hope as you will try Warband mods again

Plasquar said:
Well, we have a dancing "minigame". Pretty ladies on the tables in Tortuga.
Probably only available when you activated the adult content.  :shifty:

In Sid Meier’s Pirates, you danced, the girls gave you gifts. Blood and Gold is very much the opposite arrangement. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom