Less taxing corpses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Don't know. I hope they find a way to do it like Total War, so that we may have infinite corpses on the battlefield.

But right now at whatever "unlimited" is set at works fine on at least my system.

My specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU
32Gb ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER

Recommended:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-9600K / AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600X
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 3GB / AMD Radeon™ RX 580

Yet playing any large battle with the corpse setting any higher than medium will result in the game freezing and my cpu going to 100% until I force the program to close.

Yep, I've tried that. Only thing that seems to stop it is reducing corpses. I just resent having to do that since I should be able to run it. I've only had this PC for a few months, I don't see how it could be a problem with the system. Unless playing such a cpu intensive game has done something. It sounds like a jet engine when the game freezes.

I see. Sorry to hear the problems you're having. I wonder if it is shared among a large group? Is it all versions by the way? Or only the latest ones?

Edit:
Maybe it is a bug with how the game interacts with your system? Perhaps you should report it as such, since your system should be able to handle unlimited corpses.

Last edited:
Yes its the corpses. I got i5 9600K and vega 56, when set corpses to unlimited the game freezes, mostly in melee heavy fights (not so much in combined army fights. I can play 500 vs 500 no prblem if its mixed army, but if its 500 melee inf vs 500 melee inf in custom / enhanced battle its guaranteed freeze. Unlimited ragdoll might play role too. I set both settings to seconds highest just in case and freezes stopped. Also there were same "symptoms" - 100 % CPU usage for few seconds and then freeze. Obviously the game should just reduce its FPS instead of freezing so its some sort of engine problem probably.

Yes its the corpses. I got i5 9600K and vega 56, when set corpses to unlimited the game freezes, mostly in melee heavy fights (not so much in combined army fights. I can play 500 vs 500 no prblem if its mixed army, but if its 500 melee inf vs 500 melee inf in custom / enhanced battle its guaranteed freeze. Unlimited ragdoll might play role too. I set both settings to seconds highest just in case and freezes stopped. Also there were same "symptoms" - 100 % CPU usage for few seconds and then freeze. Obviously the game should just reduce its FPS instead of freezing so its some sort of engine problem probably.
Thanks, that's reassuring. Glad it isn't just me! I was starting to worry that there might be a problem with my cpu, even though this is the second computer I've had this happen on. Yeah it's weird that it doesn't lag but just completely freezes, music keeps playing.

I see. Sorry to hear the problems you're having. I wonder if it is shared among a large group? Is it all versions by the way? Or only the latest ones?
It´s ok if one specific player is fine with it, I should open a thread about this, I mean, I just have a decent rig:

Ryzen 3800xt, 4,2ghz (oc)
32 GB DDR4 Ram
Asus Tuf 3800
M2 SSD

I´ve no issues with this, I cant understand that not everyone is loving the performance.

I too have Ryzen and got no problems with corpses. So perhaps it's Intel then?
My friend also have Ryzen (3600 or 3700) and he never had this issue either, but he never reached 100% on all cores / threads either. At first I though its my overclock, but it was hapenning even when I disabled it.

Reducing corpse and ragdoll limit removed this issue for me, I went from highest setting to second highest. I am also playing with v-sync on (was not hapenning even with v-sync off, but with these settings changes I am bottlenecked by my GPU not CPU.

Yeah I keep the corpses on High, sometimes Very High, and ragdolls on 5 I think. But on 1.6.3 I've twice had the 100%cpu freeze when pressing the tilde key to look at my character after the battle had already been won.

Yeah I keep the corpses on High, sometimes Very High, and ragdolls on 5 I think. But on 1.6.3 I've twice had the 100%cpu freeze when pressing the tilde key to look at my character after the battle had already been won.
Ha actually getting the same issue! Never had this happened to me before. At 1.6.4 with unlimited corpses its rather common. Specs
Laptop: I7 11800h RTX 3070 16gb Ram SSD 500

The game never utilizes more than 50-60% of either component but when corpses = unlimited CPU goes 99 and game has to be forcibly ended via task manager. Or when I try to change from unlimited to low or high or med during a battle it does the same.

Ha actually getting the same issue! Never had this happened to me before. At 1.6.4 with unlimited corpses its rather common. Specs
Laptop: I7 11800h RTX 3070 16gb Ram SSD 500

The game never utilizes more than 50-60% of either component but when corpses = unlimited CPU goes 99 and game has to be forcibly ended via task manager. Or when I try to change from unlimited to low or high or med during a battle it does the same.
Yep it's really annoying. Doesn't seem as though anything will be done about it though.

Yep it's really annoying. Doesn't seem as though anything will be done about it though.
I would wager they either cannot fix it as it stands due to engine limitations or it is too complicated. Either that or that is a lesser priority tho in my eyes fixing the base game performance and optimization would create a great base for modders hence extend the games longevity!

I only really have issues when there's "too many" on field for Bannerlord, which should be an unacceptable amount for my CPU. The corpses just seem to be way too taxing. Unless you have a $450+ CPU, in which case it struggles far less, but that should not be a solution. I can play Total War on the highest setting and not have a single stutter. And there's far more going on in TW battlefields than there ever could be with Bannerlord. lol

I would wager they either cannot fix it as it stands due to engine limitations or it is too complicated. Either that or that is a lesser priority tho in my eyes fixing the base game performance and optimization would create a great base for modders hence extend the games longevity!
It doesn't seem to happen to people with AMD graphics cards though, only Nvidia. I could have a cheaper AMD graphics card and not have this problem, which seems pretty ridiculous to me.
I only really have issues when there's "too many" on field for Bannerlord, which should be an unacceptable amount for my CPU. The corpses just seem to be way too taxing. Unless you have a $450+ CPU, in which case it struggles far less, but that should not be a solution. I can play Total War on the highest setting and not have a single stutter. And there's far more going on in TW battlefields than there ever could be with Bannerlord. lol
I think there's technically more going on during Bannerlord battles since each soldier has it's own AI and are making decisions etc.

I think there's technically more going on during Bannerlord battles since each soldier has it's own AI and are making decisions etc.

I don't it does, because when Total War: Three Kingdoms came out, there were interviews with Dr. Tim Gosling (their head AI behavioralist dev) and he talked about the AI in game. Pathfinding was one of the things he had mentioned for AI, especially in battle, and how they had to program the individual units to know when and where to best position themselves once battle started. That's hundreds of individual units acting and taking in thousands of different lines of code to determine an action. This is on top of the environment, special effects (smoke, fire, animated units), high quality models etc etc. The AI, both Campaign and Battle, for Total War is far more complex and takes far less to power it.

I'll see if I can find the interview again.

EDIT

I found it.

I'd be hard pressed to believe Bannerlord has even half that much going on as TW typically does, but a coder or whatnot can correct me if I'm wrong. xD

Back
Top Bottom