Less Rushed

Users who are viewing this thread

gVenturelli

Recruit
My suggestion is to make the game "less rushed".

In the medieval times (or even before), battles were not everyday's due. The Great Heathen Army had about seven big battles between 865 and 878. What I suggest is that big battles, sieges and war time should be not as normal as it's in the game today.

With this, we'll have another problem: What to do in peace times?

My suggestions:

1. Create 10 to 15 random quests that the player will receive. Just like in Viking Conquest with the Morrigan quest.

2. Royal tournaments. Where you can only participate if you were invited.This tournament wouldn't be held in only one city. But it would do a "tour" in the kingdom.

3. Change the Tactics skill to only allow to use certain types of formations and commands with certain level. And with this, the need to train your own troops in peace time. Some combat drills.

4. Hunting. Not only you, alone. But with the lords, just like a Sport.

5. Fight another kingdom war.

6. Diplomatic problems to solve (kingdom and towns). Create alliances. Skill challenge to not enter in war, etc.

7. Children Training.

With these changes battles would mean more and peaceful times would be great.

It's definitely immersion-breaking when I see 3 or 4, one thousand men battles in a span of 4 days lol I believe war should have consequences and battles, whether won or lost, should impact your troop's morale in some negative way... afterall no soldier wanted to fight a battle after battle, they would be exhausted... That's it... Implement an exhaustion system, when troops are too tired to fight and you gotta rest in town.

In the medieval times (or even before), battles were not everyday's due. The Great Heathen Army had about seven big battles between 865 and 878. What I suggest is that big battles, sieges and war time should be not as normal as it's in the game today.

My suggestions:

1. Create 10 to 15 random quests that the player will receive. Just like in Viking Conquest with the Morrigan quest.

2. Royal tournaments. Where you can only participate if you were invited.This tournament wouldn't be held in only one city. But it would do a "tour" in the kingdom.

3. Change the Tactics skill to only allow to use certain types of formations and commands with certain level. And with this, the need to train your own troops in peace time. Some combat drills.

6. Diplomatic problems to solve (kingdom and towns). Create alliances. Skill challenge to not enter in war, etc.

7. Children Training.

I like your ideas very much. +1 from me.

It's definitely immersion-breaking when I see 3 or 4, one thousand men battles in a span of 4 days lol I believe war should have consequences and battles, whether won or lost, should impact your troop's morale in some negative way... afterall no soldier wanted to fight a battle after battle, they would be exhausted... That's it... Implement an exhaustion system, when troops are too tired to fight and you gotta rest in town.

Agreed!
"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won: the bravery of my troops hitherto saved me from the greater evil; but to win such a battle as this of Waterloo, at the expens of so many gallant friends, could only be termed a heavy misfortune but for the result to the public." - Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington

I like your ideas very much. +1 from me.
Thank you kind sir.

indeed, my noble friend.

It is insane. Recruits are like mice and rabbits, they keep on reproducing.

Awesome suggestions! Yeah too many battles that they feel kinda boring or repetitive. My last play through i had fought the same 4 lords like 10 times each, not including mercenaries, kings, and 20+ size looters. Its just dry field battles with too little upgrade in skills. If i have more than a hundred battle victories my tactics, leadership, other skills (depending on play style) should be very high. I feel rewarding skills should be higher but battles should be less common.
These ideas would be great to add.
-I think tourneys should have swords/melee and jousting option. Like in the movie "A knight's tale". Different rewards, renown, and income for jousting.
-castles/cities should be training areas for you and your troops.
-have learning to read and write traits (which adds options in diplomacy)
-add villages/cities holding festivals. helping improve relations, culture, prosperity, morale, etc. Also, give the option to bed a peasant and add a "bastard" to your family line.

I think you should be able to call out these commands, but maybe your tactic/leadership skill effects the efficiency of the formation. Maybe learn these formations speaking with lords or reading books.

It is insane. Recruits are like mice and rabbits, they keep on reproducing.
Yeah this needs to be limited. the game shouldn't be pumping out this many people to recruit. I haven't increased recruitment difficulty in my gameplay so idk how limiting that is but im sure it only limits me and not the NPCs. I see issues with armies unable to rebound quickly after a major defeat, but that's realistic and forces the devs to address the lack of diplomacy in this game (which i understand somewhat since its EA).

Last edited:

My suggestions:

7. Children Training.

^
I
I
I
+1 to this!!

These are all awesome suggestions which would add a great deal to the interest and sustainability of the game. Very well thought out. New random quests could be added over time to keep things fresh or could only become available after certain events occured (children reach a certain age etc...)

Great ideas!!

I think they should introduce something like limited wars.
Limited wars would be wars with just raiding and no armies (lord have their single parties).
Empire factions should start with limited wars each other and going full scale later while other factions should have war against their subfactions.

Overall the game just feels way more fast pace. For example, in Warband you income is evaluate once a week, here you have to pay your troop every day. If your style of game also invest in passive incomes (like workshop or carravan) it's balance out since both expense/income are daily. But if you're like me who mostly do battle for mnoey until I get a fielf, once you get a good size high level stack you kinda need those constant battles just to barely go into red.

For me I have two things to add.

1) For me it isn't really the constant battles, but I agree beating on the same Lord, 4 times in 20 minutes is boring. There should be a 3 month "healing" time when a lord is defeated before he's capable of going out to raise a new army. This would mean wars of attrition had more meaning. I remember one war where I had my 170 men, and I was smashing lords armies back to back to back. same lords 3-4 times and they slowly just ate away at my army because they just kept coming. There was no gravity to victory or defeat.

2) Unit costs per day as just too high. A good business in the game makes between 250-400 Denars per day. That's about 20-35 high tier troops assuming all your businesses are doing well and you dont lose them when you go to war with someone. Now my current army is 168. 2,184 denars per day to keep my army afloat. Since unlike other warband games i'm capped how many businesses I can run, I also need to caravans.. those are also capped.

Everyone at this point is like well duh, take fiefs. okay. I have 2 castles, and a city town. Because of constant wars, most of those villages are producing under 100 income. The castles about 200 and the town about 700. I have 2 caravans who do pay for themself and turn a profit, but I also have 3 other clan members as parties to defend my realm, all costing me money. They do randomly provide income surges with loot. I also have a merc army under me costing -400 day. (lets not mention the hundreds of troops in my fiefs to defend them) All of this is only netting me about -956 Denars a day. Yup that's a negative. So the loot sales for wars, keep my entire nation afloat if I want to use a strong military force.

That's trying to be a solo Kingdom and breaking out. Now when I joined a kingdom, I had additional income from the King. As a master of 6 villages, 2 castles and a Town. I should be making bookoo bucks. and in older versions I was. I feel like there was a tweak here and it's tipped too far south making the need large scale combat almost mandatory if you want to forge your own kingdom as I need that phat lewts.

Eventual musts for the game:

Rulership, being able to sit on the throne of your city or castle and ajudicate issues of peasants and citizens in your domain, balancing their needs and paying the consequences if you balance them poorly.

High society, feasts, balls, high tournaments that only lords and their retinues can enter.

Low society, intrigue between leading citizens of cities and villages. Specifically here, denizens of a town should gain influence if favored and begin driving other worthies out of town if they get too powerful, weakening the town or village by reducing its recruitment potential

Organic sources of new clans, including the ability to raise a leading citizen to nobility as a clan leader

Other nobles need to be marrying each other and having kids. The having kids part seems to happen sometimes, but courtship is completely missing.

Clan alliances, the ability to forge special relationships between your clan and others, and for other clans to do the same.

Civil Wars, wars between clan alliances and between the king and one or more clan alliances.

That'll do for a start

For me I have two things to add.

1) For me it isn't really the constant battles, but I agree beating on the same Lord, 4 times in 20 minutes is boring. There should be a 3 month "healing" time when a lord is defeated before he's capable of going out to raise a new army. This would mean wars of attrition had more meaning. I remember one war where I had my 170 men, and I was smashing lords armies back to back to back. same lords 3-4 times and they slowly just ate away at my army because they just kept coming. There was no gravity to victory or defeat.

Agreed. I made a suggestive thread on this issue. I had something similar with the healing time idea.

agreed. slowing everything down will do this game good. and bring finances back to weekly rather than daily schedule. feels like too much is happening too fast - the never ending battles, the war and peace cycles without sufficient respite etc, with lots of features on autopilot i.e. dont have a say in ransoming of lords, no diplomacy to declare war/sue for peace apart from bribes etc. and please bring back the linkage between battles and relations with the lords involved.

Agree.

The problem is that when you get to mid-end game there isn't much else to do than being in war. Most of the suggestions should deffinitely make it into the game.

Currently there is from no to little diplomacy and kingdom/clan management. Kingdoms should decleare wars to achieve certain goals and then trying to stabilise their postiion.

Nobles aren't affected by relationships in their fiefs. Lords dont even bother to take take their original territory not kings care to get their original tettitories back and return it to their vassals than once owned it to keep their support. If a faction takes over a city or castle it shouldnt just straight benefit without unkeep and making a peace and building their influence within the newly aquired settlements would give factions reasons to "rush less".

Upgrading settlements should be more expensive and slower in times of war. Also the castles have no real usage in the game.
I made a post about it, check it out.

My major issue with the game AI currently is descibed in the post. The kings have no sense for maintaining stability within their kingdom and there is no dynamic punishemnt/controversy for them starting senseless wars or keeping formerly owned settlements of their vassals for their own clan.

Back
Top Bottom