Less 'gamey' ways of increading relations with Noldor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Are there any less gamey ways of increasing relations with the Noldor other than kiting them?  Because to me that's just... well, boring.  And often a bit difficult because they never seem to be able to catch anything other than Lord units or Caravans of factions I'm not at war with or trying to keep good relations with.  Jatu parties always seem to get away with them... and after they wipe out a caravan or two suddenly they're so bloated with prisoners they can no longer catch anything and get run down by lord units that defeat them completely.

I don't mind that it should be difficult.  But wish there were some sort of quest or something instead of random stuff like hoping you can find one, and then spending hours painstakingly trying to kite them to enemies somewhere in the hopes they don't get wiped out by some random lord I am friends with.

Admittedly, maybe I just haven't found the solution yet since I'm reasonably new to this mod.  But I definitely consider kiting to be a gamey exploit instead of a feature.

First of all welcome to the board.

Second read the FAQ, it will shed light on many aspects.

The Noldor will respect you if you defeat them in battle  :shock:
Attack a Noldor party, the smaller the better, take as many prisoners as you can, speak to the Noldor prisoners. They will have an option to set them free, choose it, you gain one Honor point and one relation point with them for each freed prisoner.

This is only effective if you manage to capture at least 4+ Noldor prisoners because after battel you receive a -4 penalty to relations with them.

Yikes, that's almost worse (Especially since I have a weird bug, possibly native, that my game CTDs anytime I order troops to use only Blunt weapons).  Thanks!

dulahan said:
Yikes, that's almost worse (Especially since I have a weird bug, possibly native, that my game CTDs anytime I order troops to use only Blunt weapons).  Thanks!
try using auto-resolve.  you will loose more troops killed and wounded, but if you have enough troops to win with auto-resolve to begin with you will get more prisoners.  alternatively you can equip all your companions with only blunt weapons(including blunt lances) then set the battlesizer to minimum.  so long as you have a tactics advantage as well as all 20 companions in your party(i posted a guide somewhere in the PoP forum, couldn't find it right off the bat) you will get tons of Noldor prisoners which become tons of goodwill with the Noldor.

thanks a lot guys, this is a question I have too. As I'm a hardcore Empire fan and Nolders fight with Empire a lot it was really hard for me to get a balance between them...

HunterAlpha1 said:
dulahan said:
try using auto-resolve.  you will loose more troops killed and wounded, but if you have enough troops to win with auto-resolve to begin with you will get more prisoners.  alternatively you can equip all your companions with only blunt weapons(including blunt lances) then set the battlesizer to minimum.  so long as you have a tactics advantage as well as all 20 companions in your party(i posted a guide somewhere in the PoP forum, couldn't find it right off the bat) you will get tons of Noldor prisoners which become tons of goodwill with the Noldor.

I thought the tweaks to allow all companions without them getting pissy and leaving was disabled?  Because if not, that's my preferred playstyle and I'd love to get them all without problems.  Don't care about the complaints, do care about them leaving.

ok i can't find my earlier post about keeping all the companions in your party so here goes: 

1.  high persuasion.  every point in persuasion increases your chance of persuading a companion to stay with you by 10%, thus 10 persuasion= 100%.

2.  frequent saves.  don't use realistic saving, and periodically save in a new slot.  if you fail a persuasion check before you have 10 persuasion just reload your last save.  or you could export you character, give yourself 10 persuasion, then import.  probably the easiest way.

Orrr just edit the string in the right text file to make it so the persuasion check they do when asking to leave never fails, imo this is way better than the "kill all deserters" option other mods/older versions of this mod have due to it being considerably quicker, and they will bug you *a lot*.  Persuasion has a buttload of purposes besides telling to companions to stop being babies because they are all well fed, rich, and have insane relics that cost as much as small villages, so I don't feel bad about this tweak, plus, I just love having all the companions.  It owns.

It's ok I won't tell you to read the faq or search through archaic threads.

Open up conversation.txt inside your Warband/Modules/POP folder
Find this string of text with search:

dlga_companion_quitting_persuasion:close_window

After you locate this string, look at my example below, this is what my current game uses:

dlga_companion_quitting_persuasion:close_window 4095 282  3 2136 3 1224979098644774912 -2 1 2170 3 1224979098644774913

The numbers you are looking for are the two red ones, I have the first at the initial default value the mod had it at, with the second number modified to make the check never fail, default is 12 or 13, and when you try to persuade them the game rolls from -2 to 12/13 and compares that roll to your persuasion, if your persuasion is equal or lower to the value that the game rolled, you win the check.  I also read somewhere that there is a further debuff of -1 to your persuasion on every check, on top of whatever your roll was, not 100% on that though.  Also remember, we could be running different versions and therefore may have slightly different strings of code, but some common sense is all that's required to find what is needed to modify.  Remember, the default values of the two numbers should be -2 13  or -2 12, pretty easy to spot once you know those two numbers, no other numbers should even be negative in that general area.

and always remember, make back ups!  It takes 2 seconds and saves you 2 hours(or 200, if you lose a save).

i just used this tweak, its amazing, now i can run with 20 heroes right from the early game  :mrgreen:
At first i was planning on playing without it - by lvling cha to 30 asap and them raise persuasion by+1 to 11 from reading a book, but pretty fast i realised that this approach would take forever as weak character cant lvl too fast, and i would become sick and tired

Dont think this is available with 3.301.  Tried it this morning and the file is unable to be overwritten.

Don't cheat - it takes the fun out of the game. :sad:
If you want it easier, turn down the settings.

If you don't want to kite them, this is the easiest way to advance with the Noldor... if you're Sarleon or Empire.

In my game, the D'Shar savages attacked Ethos by force and took it over. Luckily for me, a few days later the Fierdsvain (sp?) declared war on the D'Shar and their army left Empire lands to save Singal, being sieged by the Fierds. Ethos was ripe for the taking with only 150 garrisoned in there. I took it and Marius gave it to me to rule.

Now with the backstory done... List for easy relations:

1) own a castle or town near the Noldor woods.
2) Get married.
3) Hold a feast
4) Watch as the Lords bring you gifts of 10-20 Noldor prisoners and store them in YOUR garrison for you to take out and release.

It's the best present to bring to a feast ever.

Back
Top Bottom