LES Summer Supremacy NA Dueling Tournament - $222+ Prize- Congrats to M!

Orion

Still Not Worthy
Global Moderator
M&BWBWF&SNW
Best answers
0
MrNomNom said:
Orion said:
Pairs and triples, maybe?
I'd rather go with an individual tourney, but a duel ladder sounds fun.
An individual ladder would be easier to make a ruleset for. Like I said, if there's an interest I'll run it concurrently with the battle ladder.
 
Best answers
0
Orion said:
I'm throwing around the idea for a duel ladder to run concurrently with the NASTe battle ladder. Another "go at your own pace" sort of competition. I can easily see a duel a day for participants. Thoughts? I don't want to start it unless there's some demand. It would be just like NASTe's schedule (4 month season + playoffs), though it would be faster paced with individuals.

Or maybe a team dueling ladder. Not sure yet. Pairs and triples, maybe?
To be honest, I like all those ideas. I've always thought pairs or triples could be interesting but I just figured I'd be the only one.
 

Deafening

Sergeant Knight
Best answers
0
Orion said:
An individual ladder would be easier to make a ruleset for. Like I said, if there's an interest I'll run it concurrently with the battle ladder.
Team fencing dueling is easy son: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing_practice_and_techniques#Team_events
 

Orion

Still Not Worthy
Global Moderator
M&BWBWF&SNW
Best answers
0
That's what I was thinking of, Deafening. Like we've seen, though, it can take a while for two people to figure out a time, not to mention six people. I'll run it if there's demand, though, no problem. I can still call it NASTe if it's a team ladder. :razz:
 

Mad_Dawg

Count
Best answers
0
The 3 Man Arena Teams event was the most successful, only rivaled by the 2v2 archer comp in our Birthday Event.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,161192.msg3886589.html#msg3886589
 

🐝 M

Marquis
Best answers
0
Thanks guys, and thanks for the tourney. For duel at least fastest isn't really competitive at all and I'd write a big essay on why not but nobody is interested, I'll spare us all the bother! It's always fun regardless and nice to play with some new people than the same old EU faces. Some portion of my prize money will go on keeping beast coast up for some more months so EU and US can keep playing together as decently as possible in NC, NASTE, CIT, etc.

Talking of prize money, it's very cool of you to do that and for people to donate, but don't feel obligated to do that in future or to NOT organize a tournament because you can't raise a prize, the majority entering these things at least love duel/competing enough to want to play just for play.

LordHasek said:
Congratulations to both M and Hubbel for playing two fantastic sets! Perhaps next time we'll make it a best of 3 BO13 sets?
I'd be happy with longer sets in general, especially on fastest where variance is so dongs high, but you can't do a best of X sets for a final in double elimination without stripping the winner bracket finalist of an earned advantage.

Probably the best thing to do to keep the results of these tournaments acceptably legitimate but make them much faster is to increase the length of sets and switch to single elimination. The lower bracket is the part that always gets bogged down, nobody can be bothered to arrange duels when they think they can't win the tournament anymore. I've been lucky enough to stay in the top bracket until the finals in all these tournaments and I have to wait for months at a time to continue, it's pretty bleak. Playing first to ~12 medium or first to ~20 fastest would make the matchups feel Real and single elimination should mean a large tourney can get blasted through in a few weeks or a month tops. It's incredibly important to do proper seed calculations from relevant past tournaments if you're switching to single elim though, without that the results are about half as accurate as these slow double elims which would be a bit jokes.

Another option is what they do at evo: have a single elimination until you get the top 16, then have a double elimination tournament with only those, which could all be done on the same day. Obviously it doesn't have to be 16 and that's only a better solution if you have a trillion kabillion entrants, which we probably don't.

Orion said:
I'm throwing around the idea for a duel ladder to run concurrently with the NASTe battle ladder. Another "go at your own pace" sort of competition. I can easily see a duel a day for participants. Thoughts? I don't want to start it unless there's some demand. It would be just like NASTe's schedule (4 month season + playoffs), though it would be faster paced with individuals.

Or maybe a team dueling ladder. Not sure yet. Pairs and triples, maybe?
I'm not sure how I feel about team duelling since there's already lots more appropriate team formats in the game but for 1v1 there's only duel. I'm already in the process of making KIND of a ladder for duelling which is just for individuals though, so it's not like we can't have both. Our thing might end up being EU only anyway because it's impossible to reconcile fastest and medium being in the same results set, and I'm not splitting the already small sample up.

Thanks again dudes
 

LordHasek

Knight
WB
Best answers
0
[M] said:
LordHasek said:
Congratulations to both M and Hubbel for playing two fantastic sets! Perhaps next time we'll make it a best of 3 BO13 sets?
I'd be happy with longer sets in general, especially on fastest where variance is so dongs high, but you can't do a best of X sets for a final in double elimination without stripping the winner bracket finalist of an earned advantage.

Probably the best thing to do to keep the results of these tournaments acceptably legitimate but make them much faster is to increase the length of sets and switch to single elimination. The lower bracket is the part that always gets bogged down, nobody can be bothered to arrange duels when they think they can't win the tournament anymore. I've been lucky enough to stay in the top bracket until the finals in all these tournaments and I have to wait for months at a time to continue, it's pretty bleak. Playing first to ~12 medium or first to ~20 fastest would make the matchups feel Real and single elimination should mean a large tourney can get blasted through in a few weeks or a month tops. It's incredibly important to do proper seed calculations from relevant past tournaments if you're switching to single elim though, without that the results are about half as accurate as these slow double elims which would be a bit jokes.
...
My suggestion was meant to pertain for the finals only. Yes, 3 BO13s for the entire bracket would be a bit excessive. Your input is appreciated however.
 

🐝 M

Marquis
Best answers
0
Nah that's what I meant too, double elimination needs the final to have the two sets or it doesn't work, everyone in double elim has two lives. If you have a best of 3 sets in the final the person coming from the lower bracket who's already lost once is effectively given three lives for the tournament.
 

LordHasek

Knight
WB
Best answers
0
ManOfWar and Hubbel have recieved their prizes. Just waiting now on M to get back to me with either a list of games or his paypal info. :smile:
 

🐝 M

Marquis
Best answers
0
Yeah sorry I'm just waiting on my friend to reply if he wants a game, I'll give you the deets tomorrow
 

LordHasek

Knight
WB
Best answers
0
The last of the prizes have been payed out and I'll try to make a final update to this thread sometime in the next two weeks with stats and the remaining videos to get them all into the OP.