Legendarian's L'Aigle Skin Shack (other skins in comment section)

Users who are viewing this thread

Darian8597

Veteran
4119_1.jpg

[size=24pt]THE SOUTH ESSEX SKIN MOD [/size]

The perfect minor mod for those who want the famous South Essex Regiment from the Sharpe series.

Fictional history
It first appeared in Sharpe's Eagle, commanded by Colonel Sir Henry Simmerson. Sharpe was transferred to the South Essex when his previous regiment, the 95th Rifles, was withdrawn back to England, and made a captain shortly after the battle of Valdelacasa in which the South Essex and the Spanish Regimento de Santa Maria were badly mauled by French cavalry. In this action, both the South Essex and the Regimento de Santa Maria lost their Colours. Simmerson tried to ruin Sharpe's career (and save himself) by blaming the loss of the Colours on Sharpe. However, Sharpe then captures an imperial eagle, in doing so, recovering some honour and the South Essex's pride.

After Simmerson showed ill judgement and cowardice at the Battle of Talavera (where Sharpe captured a French Imperial Eagle, which then went on to be displayed on the regiment's Colours), Colonel William Lawford, an old friend of Sharpe's, took command. Lawford was wounded in 1812 and after this the South Essex went through a string of colonels.

In Sharpe's Regiment, the South Essex is renamed the Prince of Wales' Own Volunteers (in reality, the Prince of Wales' Volunteers was (or is) the South Lancashire Regiment). When the regiment returns to Spain it is commanded by Colonel Bartholomew Girdwood, who suffers a breakdown during an attack into French soil. Sharpe leaves the regiment soon after, and Colonel Joseph Ford takes command. The regiment does not appear again until the Battle of Waterloo, where Sharpe and Sergeant Patrick Harper save the regiment from the advance of Napoleon's Old Guard at the end of the battle, where Sharpe is finally given command of the regiment by the Duke of Wellington.

Battle honours
This is a rough list of battle honours that it is likely the regiment would have gained during the Sharpe Series:

Talavera 1809
Busaco 1810
Ciudad Rodrigo 1812
Badajoz 1812
Salamanca 1812
Vitoria 1813
Pyrenees 1813
Toulouse 1814
Peninsula 1808-1814
Waterloo 1815

The regiment's fate after Waterloo is unknown. It is likely to have been disbanded due to its high regimental number (this is stated in the Sharpe Companion) but it could have been merged with the 44th Regiment of Foot or the East Essex which lost many men at Quatre Bras. In the latter case it would have become the Essex Regiment under the Cardwell Reforms and the battalion carrying its traditions would have been disbanded and the honours continued. This is of course speculation, but there are several similarities between the East and South Essex – both captured French Imperial Eagles, both have yellow coat facings, and they share a county designation.

Regimental Colonels
This is a rough list of the colonels of the regiment described in the books and the period they served as colonel. There are gaps where colonels are not known in the books. The Prince Regent, later George IV was the colonel in chief and added his patronage in 1813. Sir Henry Simmerson (1809) was the first Colonel, raised the regiment and led it on its first campaign. Relieved from command by the next colonel, William Lawford (1809–1812) who commanded the regiment during the Portugal campaign before being wounded at Ciudad Rodrigo. The regiment would then be commanded by a former staff officer of General Sir Thomas Picton, Colonel Windham from the siege and storming of Badajoz until his death shortly before the Battle of Salamanca (1812). It is then commanded by the American expatriate Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Leroy until his death at the Battle of Vitoria (1813). Lieutenant Colonel Bartholomew Girdwood would then assume command of the now renamed Prince of Wales Own Volunteers until his mental breakdown at the Battle of the Nivelle (1813). Sharpe would be in effective command until the French capitulation at the Battle of Toulouse (1814). The regiment is reformed after Napoleon's escape from Elba and the resumption of hostilities and is commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Ford until his mental collapse under fire at Waterloo, where Wellington gives command of the regiment to Sharpe where they assist in defeating the Old Guard.

Structure
2 Line Battalion

Light Company
Attached Regimental Units

The light company of the battalion which fought in Portugal and Spain is notable for including both regular light infantry and riflemen, as a result of Sharpe's unit of the 95th Regiment of Foot being merged with the light company after Sharpe was gazetted captain of the company.
Replaces 1st Grenadier Guards as well as the Foot Guard Light Fusilier.

Pictures

KP1J9om.jpg

AK22973.jpg

tqF5hff.jpg

9cOPSPD.jpg

INSTALLATION
Just click and drag the files into your L'Aigle Textures folder. It will ask you if you want to replace the files with the same name. If you wish, remove the original files first and keep them in a separate folder.

DOWNLOAD
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4m92kbaknhbmi9/L%27Aigle%20South%20Essex.rar?dl=0

Very nice. I hope that the regiments continue to expand like this, with more options for historic uniforms.

This looks great!

Someone needs to add ol Obadiah Hakeswill as a companion.  Says so in the scriptures it does. :wink:

solthas said:
This looks great!

Someone needs to add ol Obadiah Hakeswill as a companion.  Says so in the scriptures it does. :wink:

Give him an insanely high surgery skill so he only gets knocked unconscious and never killed? Would probably cause low morale in the party though, especially if you have any female party members >.>

RanGer_SLO said:
Suggestion, when colouring over a texture, set your colour layer as overlay. That way, you don't lose the detail of the original texture.

Thanks for the tip. I am fairly new to this, so I am always willing to take advice. There will be an update for this soon, so i'll definitely try to improve texture quality.

Hey! I see that you're doing a very nice texture. Me and a couple of other people, please do textures 3 Infantry Regiment of the Duchy of Warsaw. Just one person has done this unit, but the Napoleonic Wars. Unit NW: http://i.imgur.com/sh2Dhxk.jpg
Raddeo's Workshop: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,272516.0.html second post

Kacper1234PL said:
Hey! I see that you're doing a very nice texture. Me and a couple of other people, please do textures 3 Infantry Regiment of the Duchy of Warsaw. Just one person has done this unit, but the Napoleonic Wars. Unit NW: http://i.imgur.com/sh2Dhxk.jpg
Raddeo's Workshop: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,272516.0.html second post

Ah, my second skin request of the week. So which troop exactly do you want me to replace with the 3rd Piechoty Polk?

I mean the Duchy of Warsaw.
Just that caps Polish infantry and bearskin change the 4 to 3, and uniform color change from yellow to white.
And its 3 Pułk Piechoty. :smile:
If you want, you can make a greatcoat.

Kacper1234PL said:
I mean the Duchy of Warsaw.
Just that caps Polish infantry and bearskin change the 4 to 3, and uniform color change from yellow to white.
And its 3 Pułk Piechoty. :smile:
If you want, you can make a greatcoat.

Gotcha. Will get back to you when done.

Nice submod! Say, would you be interested in making skins for something else aside infantry? I hoped that the iconic Hessen-Homburg hussar regiment would be used by the Oesterreich ingame, but it turns out that they instead got the Nr.2 which belonged to Erzherzhog Joseph.

If you decide to take up on the job, I'll post some pictures of the Hessen-Homburg Nr.4 so you have something to work with. The only thing that needs changes are the colour-schemes - The braids and everything else are the same on both uniforms.

SolidXerm said:
Nice submod! Say, would you be interested in making skins for something else aside infantry? I hoped that the iconic Hessen-Homburg hussar regiment would be used by the Oesterreich ingame, but it turns out that they instead got the Nr.2 which belonged to Erzherzhog Joseph.

If you decide to take up on the job, I'll post some pictures of the Hessen-Homburg Nr.4 so you have something to work with. The only thing that needs changes are the colour-schemes - The braids and everything else are the same on both uniforms.

I will get back to you as soon as i'm done with the polish infantry.  :wink:

Kacper1234PL said:
So, you make that skin?

Almost done. I'm just taking it more slowly because I felt I had rushed my last few projects, and I had to keep updating the dropbox. But I will keep in touch, most certainly.

Kacper1234PL said:
Hi, my 3 Pułk Piechoty is ready? :grin:

Indeed it is! Here is a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mo8dm8l50647diu/3rd%20Piechoty%20Infantry.rar?dl=0

Apologies for late response, had other bigger requests before you. If there are some things wrong with it, let me know and I will try to fix them. Enjoy!  :grin:

Two problems: hats, uniforms.
When it comes to hats, I wanted to be 3 not  4.
The uniform is OK, but that white is too white, put white as it is at the starting clothes. :grin:

Kacper1234PL said:
Two problems: hats, uniforms.
When it comes to hats, I wanted to be 3 not  4.
The uniform is OK, but that white is too white, put white as it is at the starting clothes. :grin:

Noted. They will be fixed and the link will be updated soon. Thanks for the feedback!  :cool:

Back
Top Bottom