[LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
VonDegurechaff said:
Bargian said:
I missed something or its imposible to capture "qualis enemies" now by kiting them to others? I Lured wolfbode, zulkur, meltise... together like 7? Maybe 8 times to noldor and couldnt capture them. Something changed? Or im just that damn unlucky guy?
Heroes was alwais 100% hp and i won field battle at 1st attempt, without leaving.
In 3.9.2 you can not capture by helping the Noldors

Ohh damn me.. that sux. Thx for answer. Eh no more early qualis ;(

VonDegurechaff said:
Bargian said:
I missed something or its imposible to capture "qualis enemies" now by kiting them to others? I Lured wolfbode, zulkur, meltise... together like 7? Maybe 8 times to noldor and couldnt capture them. Something changed? Or im just that damn unlucky guy?
Heroes was alwais 100% hp and i won field battle at 1st attempt, without leaving.
oh well that explains it.

VonDegurechaff said:
How to change the size of the battle? Earlier it was possible through module.ini. Now the number changes only visually, and in the battle it remains 100.
I just decided to return to Pendor, and I like to play when 75 people
If the question you are asking is "how to have less than 100 battlesize?", then the answer is you can't do it without changing the game code afaik. Probably tweaking the corresponding .txt scripts would work as well, but I don't know what to change.

VonDegurechaff said:
In addition to past post
Is it possible to fix this? Or just a new game?
https://imgur.com/X6UbmcO
https://imgur.com/zHunOyy
https://imgur.com/nGj5zZA
The only option I know that could work is this savegame editor: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,295270.msg7013318.html#msg7013318
Create a new savegame (with a new character creation) which will serve as a template. Quit back to the main menu. Then open up your previous savegame ('Import' the one that is bugged) with the tool above. Open up the newly created one as well. 'Convert' everything (tick every option) from the former savefile to the latter template. Then,  'export' that template to that very same save (newly created) savefile or to a new one, your choice.

Quests in progress will be erased, and some more stuff could be as well, but it should be OK overall. A little prayer for your exported savegame to work without any errors in the upcoming days could be done as well. And for the future, save only inside scenes and never use "realistic saving" ever again. Because the above and similar corruptions are most likely to happen when background processes going on the world map get interrupted by the saving process. Whereas inside scenes, those background processes get always stopped, so it's safe to save there. You can freely change back and forth the saving policy of savegames with the above editor btw.

VonDegurechaff said:
Damn, this site is too complicated, how to embed images?
To embed images, use spoiler tags like you did above, and plant image tags inside that (the little Mona Lisa picture on the interface), which will contain the direct link (with a .jpg/.png ending or whatever) to the image. So make it like this:
X6UbmcO_d.jpg

zHunOyy_d.jpg

nGj5zZA_d.jpg

Bargian said:
VonDegurechaff said:
Bargian said:

Ohh damn me.. that sux. Thx for answer. Eh no more early qualis ;(
Since v3.9, you can't capture unique spawns whenever a Noldor lord is present as well. No matter the circumstances or which side you fight on. However, that doesn't mean that you can't farm Qualis Gems early on. You can still kite unique spawns into other unique spawns, marshall forces (a horde of besieging lords are especially a good target to lure spawns to), minor faction armies, etc.

I advise players to not import savegames from 3.9.1 to 3.9.2 instead start a new game, also same things works with characters with horrid faces

Gorvex said:
RedMarth said:
Hey Everyone. I hate to ask this, but can someone go over the crouching mechanics and how to activate it, again? I know it's on here somewhere, but after an admittedly short search with no results, I thought I'd save some time.

Here's what I know:
- it's deactivated by default. I went to module.ini (opened with text editor <=I'm a noob, is this right?) Found "can crouch =0 and changed it to 1
- I know that troops crouch on their own, but what weapon actually makes them do it? I tested on my current party, which is exclusively Ebony Hammers and Knights, and no one crouched in the one battle I did
- what's the default hotkey to crouch my character? I've been told it's listed under controls, but I've checked 10000x and never found it

Sorry to make you repeat yourselves! Thanks for the time!
Seems like to me that you didn't quit and restart the game after editing module.ini and expected the changes to be imminent. Anyways, restart the game and the crouch mechanic will be enabled. The option to rebind the key for crouching ('z' by default) would be then appear among the Controls:
829D8F8C30A94FCFDF8F9F2F36B267B4D9CF18AF

You have to make those units with braceable polearms (pikes, halberds, spears) or crossbows to form at least 2 rows, and then the first row will crouch automatically. Both Knights and Sergeants of the Ebony Gauntlet can/will crouch if you'll do the above. Like so:
8BACF087C1A78F465E2C1D8AA2B72783FD2B1905

D2454A1AD6A162971D66981A610DEA6D01FF6317

For your own character, the bracing happens automatically and the animation switches shortly after you crouched. You can then aim the tip of the given polearm to where you'd want it:
65077B89A564354843B1C6A240D72267CBDB7D9F

F8600EDE65149AE94CD7AFB341EC5BE4F9A658B5

Dude, Gorvex, you are the best. Thanks for such a thorough answer! I think my problem is that I haven't had enough troops to constitute 2 full rows. Is forming ranks sufficient, or would shield wall work better?

RedMarth said:
Dude, Gorvex, you are the best. Thanks for such a thorough answer! I think my problem is that I haven't had enough troops to constitute 2 full rows. Is forming ranks sufficient, or would shield wall work better?
Glad I could answer/help!  :grin: You don't need much units to be able to form two rows. Something like 10-12. You can do it by two methods:
#1: order 'stand closer' repeatedly until they end up clumped enough. I don't recommend this, as it takes too much time when it comes to forming 4 or 5 rows, and you have to keep attention on counting for the desired effect.
#2: enable the "use_advanced_formation" in module.ini. That will unlock some extra F-key commands, which contain the "form 1-5 rows" orders, among some other useful stuff. This is what I recommend doing, as it's much easier and faster to set up certain amount of rows. And you get the ability to volley-fire (after ordering 'hold fire'), and to fire in ranks (left-middle-right) as well!

Personally speaking, I'm not too fond of those other type of advanced formations (square, wedge, shieldwall and ranks). In my opinion, for the AI, it's crucial that it uses them rather than doing nothing or charging in straight. But for you, the player, it can be better under most conditions if you just use the basic formations. For the sake of troop performance as well. Because let's face it, those formations are a bit broken from the start. Troops won't hold positions exactly where you said so (but couple of paces ahead or behind), will sometimes decide to move around a little on their own (dancing back and forth, which is annoying), don't allow you to keep formations after charging and ordering to 'hold' again, etc.

Wedge is utter sh*t for both infantry and cavalry. Cavalry performs the best when they are spreaded out and don't block each other while riding around. And wedge does the opposite: a tight triangle formation :roll: The tightness is always handy for infantry, but not in a triangle formation. Squares, but mostly lines/ranks serve them better.

Square is subpar too, because it makes the ones in the middle stay out of action, due to being blocked by their neighbours. And in case of infantry, it's never good to make such formations when facing archers, who will gladly pincushion them since all arrows will hit someone or someone's shield, as it's hard to miss a giant square formation, even for inaccurate archers (e.g. shooting above the first guys' heads will result in the next guys getting hit)

The only two somewhat decent/usable formations are ranks and shieldwall. Which are the iterations of forming simple rows btw, that you can do with the default commands too. The only difference is that troops within the same division get sorted out if they are different (based on the below methods seen in quotes). I don't know the composition of infantry you are using, therefore I can't really recommend one over the other. It depends.  But if your infantry division consists of somewhat homogenous units, then I'd say you would be better off with some basic rows, which are more precise and trustworthy, and they allow more flexibility in general. Here are the descriptions from the Wikia of PoP for ranks and shieldwall:
J - Ranks: This will form your units into an assortment of lines, with the highest level units at the front. This formation, most effective against other infantry, uses your highest level units to do the most work, while your more vulnerable units stay behind them, coming out to give support. It can be used with great effectiveness if you have many highly offensive melee units (such as Empire Gladiators or Fierdsvain Berserkers) supported by ranged throwing units (such as D'Shar Ghazi Dervishes or Empire Legionnaires).
K - Shieldwall: This will form your units into an assortment of lines, similarly to ranks, but with shield units at the front. This formation can be used to protect shield-less units from ranged attacks, while moving on them. You may wish to order your shield wall to stand closer, as sometimes arrows can get through the cracks and hit the units in the back. Be wary of using this formation on an incline, as your shield-less units may stand higher than your shield units, leaving them totally open to ranged attacks.
Decide and see for yourself which serves your infantry better. I personally prefer to stick to some basic formations due to the above and just form multiple rows with a tight displacement for infantry.

Once again, this is really awesome and helpful, Gorvex!

Would you mind walking me through changing the module.ini? I thought I did it, but I still have no crouch option in my controls, and my troops aren't crouching... I'm not at my PC right now to double-check it, but any tips would be appreciated!

RedMarth said:
Would you mind walking me through changing the module.ini? I thought I did it, but I still have no crouch option in my controls, and my troops aren't crouching... I'm not at my PC right now to double-check it, but any tips would be appreciated!
Ehm, it really is all that it takes: "can_crouch = 1" in module.ini.

Pay attention to the spacing (1 white space char) before and after the equality ( = ). And as I said before, do this edit while the game is closed, or restart it if it's already started up.

If equipped with 2 stacks of arrows/bolts/thrown, do companions/CKO actually bring them to the field? (I think no "common" soldier can have 2 packs of ranged?)

If yes, any suggestion to the melee weapon of a 2-arrow horse archer?

Hi !

In the mod (3.9.x) it is talked about D'Shar Principalities but two times, in game_strings.csv and info_pages.csv, it is called The Principality.

So a simple question : which name is the right one ? Principalities as in factions.csv ?  :grin:

ttl said:
If equipped with 2 stacks of arrows/bolts/thrown, do companions/CKO actually bring them to the field? (I think no "common" soldier can have 2 packs of ranged?)

If yes, any suggestion to the melee weapon of a 2-arrow horse archer?
Yes, CKO and companions will actually have 2 ammo bags if you equip them with such. That is, if you play with version 3.9.X. Because in prior versions, your CKO units behaved like normal troops when it came to equipping with weapons of the same type (including ammo). Some had all of them, and some had only 1. Common troops will only bring 2 bags of ammo if the two are different. And only some of them will have 2, not all. For example, Ravenstern Rangers, Sarleon Armored Longbowmen and Larian Sentinels have chances to be equipped with two bag of arrows.

I'd definitely suggest a one-handed weapon for horseback, even if your units can't have shields. 2-handed weapons are slow on horseback and would only cause problems in sieges when it comes to melee (too long, cannot swing, get blocked). I'd suggest a Doom Mace if you got it unlocked and you want to make them take prisoners for you, and Ebony Long Sword otherwise (available by default, and has more killing potential compared to Doom Mace), or Strange Ebony Saber (even more powerful by a bit, but it needs to be unlocked as well).

Daneel53 said:
Hi !

In the mod (3.9.x) it is talked about D'Shar Principalities but two times, in game_strings.csv and info_pages.csv, it is called The Principality.

So a simple question : which name is the right one ? Principalities as in factions.csv ?  :grin:
D'Shar Principalities is the correct full name of the faction. The Principality is just another form to speak about the same faction, without the need to repeat the exact same name all over again. Consider it as an abbreviation of some sort.

VonDegurechaff said:
Gorvex said:
Ehm, it really is all that it takes: "can_crouch = 1" in module.ini.
This will work on bots?
Yes. Whenever units form at least 2 rows without any advanced formations (shieldwall, ranks, etc) and hold still, the first line will crouch if:
- they have braceable polearms equipped
- they have crossbows

Gorvex said:
I'd definitely suggest a one-handed weapon for horseback, even if your units can't have shields. 2-handed weapons are slow on horseback and would only cause problems in sieges when it comes to melee (too long, cannot swing, get blocked). I'd suggest a Doom Mace if you got it unlocked and you want to make them take prisoners for you, and Ebony Long Sword otherwise (available by default, and has more killing potential compared to Doom Mace), or Strange Ebony Saber (even more powerful by a bit, but it needs to be unlocked as well).
Continuing on this a bit: What about 1.5-hand weapons? Several default knights seem to use them on horseback? Which skill do they use on horseback without shield, and are they any good? Would seem to make sense that a 1.5-hander without a shield is at least as good as a 1-hander (unless very close quarters). In sieges these guys would be with the missile troops, so that very close quarter should not matter.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the info on 3.9 vs 3.8 double arrow changes!

Doh! I think I had no space. Thanks!

Nope, that wasn't it.... Any other ideas? I can tell it hasn't worked because I don't have a crouch option in the Controls menu. Tried starting a new game, and that has no effect.

I'm definitely in the correct mod folder, and I am saving the changes because it still says 1 when I go back. Spacing is correct.

RedMarth said:
Doh! I think I had no space. Thanks!

Nope, that wasn't it.... Any other ideas? I can tell it hasn't worked because I don't have a crouch option in the Controls menu. Tried starting a new game, and that has no effect.

I'm definitely in the correct mod folder, and I am saving the changes because it still says 1 when I go back. Spacing is correct.
Hm, if you are absolutely sure that you are editing the module.ini in the correct folder, then I'm running out of ideas :???: Is it possible that you have the mod both on steam workshop and installed manually as well? How many instances of PoP can you see in the launcher? (if you scroll down or up) Because in the launcher, they absolutely look the same, and you can only tell which is which if you make a small, but noticeable edit to one of them. It could be possible that you are editing the wrong module.ini, or I really don't know what's the issue on your end. You could see my screenshots earlier, and everything works fine for me...

ttl said:
Gorvex said:
Continuing on this a bit: What about 1.5-hand weapons? Several default knights seem to use them on horseback? Which skill do they use on horseback without shield, and are they any good? Would seem to make sense that a 1.5-hander without a shield is at least as good as a 1-hander (unless very close quarters). In sieges these guys would be with the missile troops, so that very close quarter should not matter.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the info on 3.9 vs 3.8 double arrow changes!
Forget about 1h/2h weapons if you'd like to maximize the killing power of your CKO troops. 1h/2h weapons without a shield are always used as a 2h weapon, and the speed penalty on horseback for 2h weapons is bigger than using 1h/2h weapons as 1h (with shield). Therefore, 1h/2h weapons without a shield would be awfully slow in comparison to how fast 1h weapons could be (the speed penalty is 25%, and the damage penalty is 15%). About penalties in general for such weapons, check this section on the Wikia: https://pop3.wikia.com/wiki/One_Handed_weapons#Introduction

Me again :grin:

How long does it take for villages around conquered town or castle to convert to my culture, so I can get only Pendor recruits? And will the recruiter go to villages that do not belong to that walled fief, or are not even part of my kingdom?

And does the number of existing armies of minor faction (Jatu in my case) affect chance of spawning their unique spawn?

Sarin said:
Me again :grin:

How long does it take for villages around conquered town or castle to convert to my culture, so I can get only Pendor recruits? And will the recruiter go to villages that do not belong to that walled fief, or are not even part of my kingdom?

And does the number of existing armies of minor faction (Jatu in my case) affect chance of spawning their unique spawn?
If I remember correctly, it takes a week or two. But note that villages will never produce only Pendor units, they will keep on making the original troops of the faction they belonged to every now and then. If you choose one of the 5 major cultures, then the recruits for hire will transition completely (e.g. hiring Fierdsvain recruits in Sarleon villages). That's what happens when your faction conquers villages during the times of vassalage btw. But Pendor culture will never produce only Pendor recruits all the time (I guess to indicate the true unification of Pendor). There will be some cases where you'll get only D'Shar/Empire/Sarleon/Ravenstern/Fierdsvain recruits...

The recruiter will recruit from foreign cultures as well, if they have their own fiefs close to your castle/town. Even the senechal mentions that the recruiter will recruit from the surrounding villages (so not only the ones belonging to your castle/town).

Only the total ammount of spawns/armies on the map affect spawning chances afaik. Around 14-15 spawns, the chances for new spawns get cut to '0%' iirc. I'm not sure about the threshold, but it's something around that value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom