[LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gorvex said:
Arizael said:
I am no expert on lore. There is one thing that always bugged me. I assumed that the military ways of the old empire was the classic roman inspired, that is heavy disciplined shield wielding infantry fighting in precise formations. On the other hand Marius was taking inspiration from pendor military society, that is feudal knights fighting as heavy cavalry.

If what I assumed is at least roughly true, than why are the Shadow centurions heavy lancers, why immortals are elite infantry ?
Simple:
- Pendor ≠ Earth
- The Baccus Empire ≠ Roman Empire

Getting some influence from Romans doesn't mean that they should be 100% identical. Also, siege crossbows and heavy armors that the Empire possesses didn't even exist at the times of the Roman Empire...

To add to this, Citizen Legionnaires were heavy infantry but Rome used allied cavalry from the days of the republic. Also, the Equites Singulares Augusti, and later the  the Scholae Palatinae served as the elite cavalry guard of the emperor.

Gorvex said:
Some further cheesing to help you:
- If one party can't catch the other because it's moving slower: talk repeatedly to the one being chased (the faster one), as his movement gets paused for a moment each time you do this.
- If you want to ensure the ability to join into a fight that would end by the time you get there: Reload, move a little closer, save. Reload, move a little closer, save; etc. Upon each reload, everyone freezes on the map for a short amount of time. You can use this short time to get closer, without the time advancing
- use ridiculous terrains at your advantage: lure enemies to a hilly area, and look for a really steep hill. Plant your archers or dismounted horse archers close to the top of the hill. Or look for a nice river bank with a steep cliffside.

And to add to this, it helps to have a friendly castle/town nearby if both groups are hostile to you so you can get off the map and prevent the stronger spawn from chasing you instead.

Is there any requirement for the Red Brotherhood hideout in 3.9? I have been asking travellers multiple times a week for nearly 400 days now and I haven't had a single Red Brotherhood hideout. Have I just been unlucky? Also, almost every chest I get is Rane, I can count the Valonbury chests one one hand, not that it matters, just an observation.

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
Any chance for new scenes for castles and villages?

Thanks
I don't think so. New additions for 3.9 are closed down as far as I know, only bug-fixes and adjustments would happen in further patches. And 3.9.x is meant to be the last edition for Warband. PoP 4.0 would need to be done from scratch (so surely not happening any time soon), as according to the story created for it, it would play on a different continent for the most part, that being Amala.

Skinwah said:
Is there any requirement for the Red Brotherhood hideout in 3.9? I have been asking travellers multiple times a week for nearly 400 days now and I haven't had a single Red Brotherhood hideout. Have I just been unlucky? Also, almost every chest I get is Rane, I can count the Valonbury chests one one hand, not that it matters, just an observation.
Chances or requirements for getting the Red Brotherhood Hideout haven't been changed.

What's your Rumor Interval based on your choices in the character creation? Being 'a bard' at the 3rd stage, or choosing the 'left to fend for yourself' at the 2nd stage enables you to have the best (lowest) values, so that you can get more rumors in general. Becoming 'a self-employed merchant' at the 3rd stage enables you to have the 2nd best Rumor Interval value.

Other than these, you could just have bad luck, it happens. From my numerous playthroughs, I remember that two times, I got the rumor for the hideout the first time on day 300+. Despite that I had the best character background for this (see above), and that I always asked traveller NPC-s for rumors whenever I could.

Gorvex said:
Chances or requirements for getting the Red Brotherhood Hideout haven't been changed.

What's your Rumor Interval based on your choices in the character creation? Being 'a bard' at the 3rd stage, or choosing the 'left to fend for yourself' at the 2nd stage enables you to have the best (lowest) values, so that you can get more rumors in general. Becoming 'a self-employed merchant' at the 3rd stage enables you to have the 2nd best Rumor Interval value.

Other than these, you could just have bad luck, it happens. From my numerous playthroughs, I remember that two times, I got the rumor for the hideout the first time on day 300+. Despite that I had the best character background for this (see above), and that I always asked traveller NPC-s for rumors whenever I could.

I forgot to mention that, my best choice was self employed merchant. I visit any town I'm passing to check for good weapons/armour/horses and to ask travellers but no luck. Guess they have an extra good hideout this play through! I'll get 'em eventually!

Thanks for answers about the lore! Really neat stuff. I dabble in writing fiction myself and I'm also a huge history nerd so I always dive into the lore of any game I play.

Another question; is it standard for Order Sergeants to be worse than the unit they upgraded from? For example, Radiant Cross Plaguewardens seem to be objectively worse than Mercenary Sharpshooters.

brandeeno said:
Another question; is it standard for Order Sergeants to be worse than the unit they upgraded from? For example, Radiant Cross Plaguewardens seem to be objectively worse than Mercenary Sharpshooters.
KO sergeants are always better than the units they come from in a way. As for Radiant Cross Plaguewardens, they cost 1/3 of what Mercenary Sharpshooters do. So you can field 3 Plaguewardens for the cost of 1 Sharpshooter. And their performance is obviously not 67% worse...

Red_Fighter said:
Hello there. I am shocked when I receive any damage in the game. The character can not move in the direction of the arrows. it is very shaken. How can I disable it?
If you are talking about getting a short stun animation each time you take a hit, then you can't disable it. It's a built-in mechanic, a hardcoded feature of Warband. Wear heavier armor and try not to get shot/hit.

Gorvex said:
If you are talking about getting a short stun animation each time you take a hit, then you can't disable it. It's a built-in mechanic, a hardcoded feature of Warband. Wear heavier armor and try not to get shot/hit.

Then the archers are too strong. I can not move, it's shaking too. Thanks anyway

Gorvex said:
brandeeno said:
KO sergeants are always better than the units they come from in a way. As for Radiant Cross Plaguewardens, they cost 1/3 of what Mercenary Sharpshooters do. So you can field 3 Plaguewardens for the cost of 1 Sharpshooter. And their performance is obviously not 67% worse...

Shouldn't they at least retain the same Stats then, if not the same equipment? Or would that be too unbalanced?

brandeeno said:
Shouldn't they at least retain the same Stats then, if not the same equipment? Or would that be too unbalanced?
8-7-7-7 power skills, 340 crossbow profs and the armor of Sharpshooters would be OP/unbalanced for a KO sergeant. The mentioned stats and equipment are more on KO knight level, than of a sergeant.

I tried to suggest that Plaguewardens should be trained from one tier below, that being Mercenary Armored Crossbowmen, but the idea was rejected.

I've around 750 renown, 230000 denars and 130 men strong ragtag company. I am able to crush more numerous parties. However I am still a merc captain, thought I managed to befriend the elves and won one elven tournament. What then? The kingdoms are basically at status quo with fierdsvain only having a little worse of it. So I have no hope of warring alone against entire kingdoms. Are there any epic questlines to undertake? Should I court women? How will I be able to take 300 men strong castles?

Is there a way to modify the minor factions (spawn) strenghts? (the strong... fading...obliterated).

I am taking my time, and still being unaligned but half of them is already crushed. As far as i understand, they get some strenght when spawned, but lose more when spawns get killed, no matter if by player or AI. I'd prefer them to be stable until i get myself lordship at least...

Gorvex said:

By that logic, Huscarls should upgrade into Recruits, since you can field 50 for the price of 1 Huscarl

Maur said:
Is there a way to modify the minor factions (spawn) strenghts? (the strong... fading...obliterated).

I am taking my time, and still being unaligned but half of them is already crushed. As far as i understand, they get some strenght when spawned, but lose more when spawns get killed, no matter if by player or AI. I'd prefer them to be stable until i get myself lordship at least...

Only real way is to ask for rumors everywhere you can, from lords, militia parties, travellers, ransom brokers and tavernkeepers and whoever else who's willing to gossip. This increases the chance of armies spawning and will speed up the minor factions' recovery

TimotheusTheReal said:
I've around 750 renown, 230000 denars and 130 men strong ragtag company. I am able to crush more numerous parties. However I am still a merc captain, thought I managed to befriend the elves and won one elven tournament. What then? The kingdoms are basically at status quo with fierdsvain only having a little worse of it. So I have no hope of warring alone against entire kingdoms. Are there any epic questlines to undertake? Should I court women? How will I be able to take 300 men strong castles?

Go classical way. Become a vassal, then marshall, go on conquest spree until your lord refuses to grant you more fiefs and rebel.

TimotheusTheReal said:

Or you can disband all your troops, take companions and grind experience and items from enemy patrols like heretics from whom you can get some of the best drops in the game. In this process if you're efficient you'll also gain loads of renown which will let you field larger armies.

You can also join a knighthood order and do quests for them. If it's challenge you want, try to join Eventide.

Lord Irontoe said:
Only real way is to ask for rumors everywhere you can, from lords, militia parties, travellers, ransom brokers and tavernkeepers and whoever else who's willing to gossip. This increases the chance of armies spawning and will speed up the minor factions' recovery
From what i read on the forums it actually speeds up their decline. AFAIK, it's like that: minor faction starts with 120 strenght points. Every spawns adds some (say, 4) to this, but when it's killed, it substracts 5. Spawning itself only happens when random number is under current strenght of a faction (with some exceptions i think).

On a side note, what happens if minor factions wins a siege? I'm standing outside Ethos looking at Dread Legion about to take it...

Maur said:
Lord Irontoe said:
Maur said:

From what i read on the forums it actually speeds up their decline. AFAIK, it's like that: minor faction starts with 120 strenght points. Every spawns adds some (say, 4) to this, but when it's killed, it substracts 5. Spawning itself only happens when random number is under current strenght of a faction (with some exceptions i think).

I'm not sure where you're getting that. Rumors increase their spawn chance, and more spawns increases their faction strength. So asking for lots of rumors and avoiding overhunting them should help them get their strength back.

To avoid them losing strength altogether, you'd probably need to tweak the mod in some way but that's a whole different thing.

Maur said:
On a side note, what happens if minor factions wins a siege? I'm standing outside Ethos looking at Dread Legion about to take it...

They just leave the town with a very small garrison and lower its prosperity.

Lord Irontoe said:
Maur said:
Lord Irontoe said:
Maur said:

I'm not sure where you're getting that. Rumors increase their spawn chance, and more spawns increases their faction strength. So asking for lots of rumors and avoiding overhunting them should help them get their strength back.

To avoid them losing strength altogether, you'd probably need to tweak the mod in some way but that's a whole different thing.
Yes, i am asking about tweaking. And for the source, can't find it now, but i found someone talking about it here in this thread:

Tingyun said:
Some questions regarding minor faction strength dynamics:

1) a post by noosers states that minor factions start at 100, go up by a defined amount whenever a spawn is created (scaling to size), and then down by slightly more when a spawn is defeated. This would seem to imply that they don't really recover (as at a given amount of armies present means a lower total faction strength later, as they lost more with past defeated spawns). Is there any other mechanic that allows them to recover strength based on time, winning victories, etc?

2) someone a year ago in this thread said that the effect of current minor faction strength on spawn rate isn't updated until you check the "victory progress" screen, which would seem to imply that you could keep a minor faction at full spawn chances throughout the game by simply refusing to check the victory progress (or only checking before quiting without saving). Is this true, and it doesn't update even when saving loading games?

3) Any other options for helping minor factions recover?

(Basically I went a bit solo horse archer crazy and wounded some factions sooner than I'd like, mixed in with some curiosity about the mechanics)

Thanks for answering the other question, btw.

Okay, nvm, followed that link i posted and found that the factions get suppressed only when player destroys the spawns, not the AI. Or so i hope. Here is the relevant quote, if anyone is interested:

Chiksika said:
Here is the answer MadVader gave me during development of the mod to a similar question I had.
This is SD territory, but I'll try to clarify what happens in the code.
The problem you describe is tied to what is called "repression" in the code, translated to a descriptive adjective in the Victory Progress screen (Healthy, Crushed etc.).
Only Snakes, Jatu, Mysts and Heretics have "repression". It is calculated from the current parties on the map.
The higher this number is, the more likely new parties of that minor faction will spawn, within hardcoded limits. The less powerful they are, the less likely they'll spawn. The trigger that checks this fires every 33 hours.
Best if you can imagine repression as a spawning probability.

For example, Jatu repression:
- At game start, set to 130
- Every 33 hours, check if new Jatu parties need to spawned:
-- determine randomly which of the 5 Jatu party types will be spawned
-- generate a random number 1-99, if it's less or equal to the repression number, continue with the process
-- spawn one of these, if their max limit is not reached: Jatu Nomads (:cool:, Jatu Warband (6), Jatu Army (3), K'Juda (1), Zulkar (1)
- [This is an issue] Every time you look at the Victory Progress report, repression is recalculated like this for Jatu:
repression = Nomads + 3*Warbands + 20*Armies + 35*K'Judas + 35*Zulkars + 100 - 0.2*Nomads_killed_by_player - 4*Warbands_killed_by_player - 23*Armies_killed_by_player - 38*K'Judas_killed_by_player - 38*Zulkars_killed_by_player
(this number is then used the next time the trigger fires)

So, if you need an advice, you need to focus on quickly killing parties of one minor faction until their repression gets really low. Every time you destroy one of their parties, look at the Victory Progress (I know, it's not supposed to work that way), so the game will update their repression and lower the chance of spawning another one the next time the trigger fires.
I guess this can slowly become a major problem for slow-paced players, those minor factions need to be attacked regularly to keep their spawning probability down.

These are the repression adjectives as seen in the Victory Progress:
0-4 Obliterated
5-30 Destroyed
31-50 Crushed
51-79 Fading
80-99 Weakened
100-119 Healthy
120-149 Strong
150-179 Overwhelming
180+ Invincible

Hope this will help explain it a bit. As he said, keep checking your victory condition screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom