[LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
telume said:
^Too late lol, I left the area around Avendor where the army was to take part in Elacrai's tournament and when I got back I couldn't find them so I checked the victory condition and it didn't list them as one of the active armeis so they must've been obliterated, can they spawn again? And where is a good place to kite them to keep them safe?

Yeah, they'll eventually respawn, keep pestering militia patrols and lords for rumors. Those rumors even have a slight chance of spawning an army right away!

A good place to keep them safe? Just anywhere where there's little chance of them bumping into a huge army. Deep into Jatu steppes, or that isolated area behind Ishkoman. They won't stay there forever, but you should be able to leave them for a few days and do other stuff. I prefer the Ishkoman nook because there's only one way for them to escape, whereas finding them again in Jatu area can be difficult, especially without good spotting and tracking. But it's closer to civilization, so I guess there's a trade off.

Doesn't the Jatu armies spawn in the Jatu steppes, so wouldn't that be dangerous? Or does the sheer size of the steppe make that irrelevant?
I never knew that I could ask militia patrol and lords for rumors, thought that I could only get it from fief stewards and guys in taverns.

Question: I'm a big fan of Blademasters but the D'shar are only down to Torbah and Singal, and no castles. If the faction gets defeated, will the D'shar troops be forever lost and unrecruitable? Since the towns convert to whichever culture takes it.

telume said:
Question: I'm a big fan of Blademasters but the D'shar are only down to Torbah and Singal, and no castles. If the faction gets defeated, will the D'shar troops be forever lost and unrecruitable? Since the towns convert to whichever culture takes it.

In the beginning the villages will sometimes provide D'Shar recruits but in the long run they will only provide recruits belonging to the current faction that occupies the attached town/castle.

If you own a castle/town i would recommend recruiting some now, train them and keep them in your garrison in case the D'Shar get whipped out.

Leonion said:
To recruit a lord you need a relation with him higher than the following number:

15 + campaign difficulty (0 easy, 5 normal, 10 hard) + number of total centers (1 for castle or village, 2 for town) that the faction your recruited lord belongs to owns – your persuasion skill - number of total centers (1 for castle or village, 2 for town) that YOUR faction owns.

On top of this, there might be some added difficulty depending if the possible recruit is a “duke” (or dux, or one of the top lords of each faction) or not.

http://pop3.wikia.com/wiki/Habitual_gameplay_questions

Ok, according to that formula i need 12 relationship + that hidden duke-bonus. It must be more than 10.
I would really like to know the exact value of it

telume said:
Doesn't the Jatu armies spawn in the Jatu steppes, so wouldn't that be dangerous? Or does the sheer size of the steppe make that irrelevant?
I never knew that I could ask militia patrol and lords for rumors, thought that I could only get it from fief stewards and guys in taverns.

Well, the steppes aren't too far from where 3 seers spawn and a single jatu army will probably just run away from them, since 3 seer armies tend to be a bit bigger. But yeah, they could be a problem.

It's not a long term way to isolate a unique spawn, since they tend to eventually make their way back to their usual area. But you'll at least ensure they won't bump into Sarleon/Ravenstern/Fierdsvain marshal and a dozen lords following him. Their spawn location is a pretty popular place!

The nook behind Ishkoman might be a better bet, though I've never used it to actually farm patrols. I did lure Eyegrim there though and he stayed "alive" for a decent length of time, longer than he usually does. Ultimately he wandered off and got banished 2 months later, but it's probably because I just left him there and never bothered doing check ups.

There was an ongoing battle between Eyegrim and the D'Shar. I participated and killed him. Now, I know that Eyegrim is killed anyway, though, being undead, this doesn't prevent him from respawning. I also know however that, if you participate in an ongoing battle where an NPC is involved and that NPC is killed, he doesn't respawn. What happens here? Is there a chance that Eyegrim will respawn?

I've just taken an enemy castle, and of course like clockwork most of the enemy faction shows up to take it back. Just like every time I take a damn castle. Most of my faction is conveniently located right next to the castle, but I can't get them to actually help in the fight. I tried leaving my army garrisoned to hold the enemy off for a bit then running around to tell everyone that the enemy is attacking the castle, but they just patrol around it. The battle is actively going on but they're refusing to join it. What the hell is going on, and is there any way I can fix this? This is getting seriously annoying. Every god damn time I take a castle most of the enemy faction shows up to take it back and my faction refuses to lift a finger to help. I can't fight 1800 men alone.

I don't own a castle, so I can't hire a mercenary company, and as I said in the post, I did order the lords to go to the castle. They just ignore the battle going on inside of it and patrol around the castle.

Mythos said:
I don't own a castle, so I can't hire a mercenary company, and as I said in the post, I did order the lords to go to the castle. They just ignore the battle going on inside of it and patrol around the castle.

Are you a king? Do you have any walled fiefs? If so, you should be able to hire mercs in your capital fief.
As for the lords...yeah, that happens. The basic idea of M&B is that all the lords are stupid, lazy, cowardly, mean and selfish. I'd suggest that in your case they demonstrate their cowardly/stupid parts. Parhaps the enemy's army is too strong for them and they are simply afraid to join the battle. And they are too stupid to realize that in non-autocalc defense under their king's wise management the enemy will be easily repulsed.

Leonion said:
Mythos said:

Are you a king? Do you have any walled fiefs? If so, you should be able to hire mercs in your capital fief.
As for the lords...yeah, that happens. The basic idea of M&B is that all the lords are stupid, lazy, cowardly, mean and selfish. I'd suggest that in your case they demonstrate their cowardly/stupid parts. Parhaps the enemy's army is too strong for them and they are simply afraid to join the battle. And they are too stupid to realize that in non-autocalc defense under their king's wise management the enemy will be easily repulsed.

No, I'm not a king yet. I wanted to try to get a decent number of noble troops before striking out on my own, but for that I need a castle or town, and every time I take one a dozen or so enemy lords show up to kick my ass and my faction refuses to help. I'm really hitting a wall here on what I'm supposed to do.

Beorn424 said:
zykox said:
Oh oops...pls forgive me for my noobster reply...
Still strange though, why my peasant-stats peasant-armed CKO was still able to defeat any bandits and rogue knights.

A unit's auto calc value was determined by the development team based on the previously mentioned criteria. It is a set value that isn't changed when their stats/armor is improved. The CKO was given a value based on what they can become if you upgrade them.
Actually, your CKO autocalc value starts relatively low and grows with their proficiencies.

Mythos said:
Leonion said:
Mythos said:

No, I'm not a king yet. I wanted to try to get a decent number of noble troops before striking out on my own, but for that I need a castle or town, and every time I take one a dozen or so enemy lords show up to kick my ass and my faction refuses to help. I'm really hitting a wall here on what I'm supposed to do.

Get your renown higher! At around 1000 renown you'll be able to give suggestions to lords through "may I suggest a course of action?" line. Not the top tier lords whose renown is still higher than yours, but you'll be able to get some of them to follow. At 2500 renown you can give suggestions to anyone but the current marshal. That includes the faction ruler and his 300 men strong army and may be a merc company following him. I think your relation with individual lords also plays a role.

Suggestions will give you a much finer control over what your friendly AI buddies do.

MadVader said:
Beorn424 said:
zykox said:
Oh oops...pls forgive me for my noobster reply...
Still strange though, why my peasant-stats peasant-armed CKO was still able to defeat any bandits and rogue knights.

A unit's auto calc value was determined by the development team based on the previously mentioned criteria. It is a set value that isn't changed when their stats/armor is improved. The CKO was given a value based on what they can become if you upgrade them.
Actually, your CKO autocalc value starts relatively low and grows with their proficiencies.

You learn something new every day. Thanks for the correction.

Serazu said:
There was an ongoing battle between Eyegrim and the D'Shar. I participated and killed him. Now, I know that Eyegrim is killed anyway, though, being undead, this doesn't prevent him from respawning. I also know however that, if you participate in an ongoing battle where an NPC is involved and that NPC is killed, he doesn't respawn. What happens here? Is there a chance that Eyegrim will respawn?

Eyegrim will keep on respawning until you win the game, though the frequency of his comebacks depends on how strong the Heretics were the last time you checked victory conditions. He's not really a unique NPC in that he's a regular unit and you can't capture him.

I also know however that, if you participate in an ongoing battle where an NPC is involved and that NPC is killed, he doesn't respawn.

I'm not sure if this is actually true. When a unique spawn's army engages a kingdom's marshal and gets defeated several things might happen:

- the player doesn't get involved and the army gets defeated. The player receives a notification "Foo was defeated in battle, but managed to escape". In this case they'll come back.
- the player gets involved on the marshal's side. The unique NPC had at least 15 health left and was able to participate in battle. Either through autocalc or regular battles his army is defeated. The player has a chance of capturing the unique and gets a notification of them escaping if the check fails.
- the player gets involved on the marshal's side. The unique NPC had less than 15 health and was therefore unable to participate in battle. There is no chance to capture the unique in this case and no message either.

According to this thread, the last case might be problematic. I'm not entirely convinced either way, but just as a precaution, I always make sure that the unique NPC has enough health to participate before moving in. I've had Wolfbode come back after his army was defeated without a message, but still. Better safe than sorry.

reticentReciter said:
Mythos said:
Leonion said:
Mythos said:

Get your renown higher! At around 1000 renown you'll be able to give suggestions to lords through "may I suggest a course of action?" line. Not the top tier lords whose renown is still higher than yours, but you'll be able to get some of them to follow. At 2500 renown you can give suggestions to anyone but the current marshal. That includes the faction ruler and his 300 men strong army and may be a merc company following him. I think your relation with individual lords also plays a role.

Suggestions will give you a much finer control over what your friendly AI buddies do.

Will the "follow me" suggestion actually make them cooperate? I am giving them a suggestion(the one that says something like "the enemy is attacking but they can be repulsed, go here"), but they just go to the location then ignore the battle and just patrol around the area. If so... should I just give up on managing to get a fief until my renown is that high? If so I'll just stop bothering to try to siege places and just go farm enemy lords.

Mythos said:
Will the "follow me" suggestion actually make them cooperate? I am giving them a suggestion(the one that says something like "the enemy is attacking but they can be repulsed, go here"), but they just go to the location then ignore the battle and just patrol around the area. If so... should I just give up on managing to get a fief until my renown is that high? If so I'll just stop bothering to try to siege places and just go farm enemy lords.

If you can already give suggestions, you should be okay. The "follow me" command just makes them follow you and join battles if they're near. To actually get them inside a castle during sieges, get a bunch of lords to follow you, then after the battle begins tell them "the enemy is coming in force, flee in the direction of <castle under siege>". Before the battle begins they'll be too scared to approach the enemy army, but once the enemy is fighting castle defenders, the lords will have no qualms about going inside. Once inside they can't leave until the siege is over.

You can also suggest top-tier lords to siege a castle by themselves. A king, especially one backed by a merc company, can usually take a moderately defended fief with your leadership.

reticentReciter said:
If you can already give suggestions, you should be okay. The "follow me" command just makes them follow you and join battles if they're near. To actually get them inside a castle during sieges, get a bunch of lords to follow you, then after the battle begins tell them "the enemy is coming in force, flee in the direction of <castle under siege>". Before the battle begins they'll be too scared to approach the enemy army, but once the enemy is fighting castle defenders, the lords will have no qualms about going inside. Once inside they can't leave until the siege is over.

You can also suggest top-tier lords to siege a castle by themselves. A king, especially one backed by a merc company, can usually take a moderately defended fief with your leadership.

They're perfectly willing to go somewhere if I ask them to, but if I ask them to actually follow me they refuse, saying that it's improper and I should just follow them instead.

Mythos said:
reticentReciter said:

They're perfectly willing to go somewhere if I ask them to, but if I ask them to actually follow me they refuse, saying that it's improper and I should just follow them instead.

Ah, yup. Need higher renown  :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom