SP - General Leading a defensive siege with campaign party and settlement

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi there,

I have spent +500h on singleplayer campaign on Warband and +50h on Bannerlord.

I love these games but there is something frustrating : preparing your settlements, your character and your party for defensive siege, but never experiencing it because no one dares to attack your settlement when it is fully prepared, especially if you're inside with a big party. Moreover, with Bannerlord, if you join a siege already started, to add your party to defender troops, you will automatically loose men in the attempt to get inside the settlement (which is realistic). Of course, you could spend one year in a settlement without moving, hoping for an attack, but well... that's not a great fun.
Anyway, here is my suggestion to respond to my frustration :

In Custum Battles, allow players to import from a SP campaign saved game :
- An owned settlement from his choice, with all its upgraded buildings, militia and garrison
- The party of the player with all its troops and companions
- The character with all his stats, perks (hoping they work ! that was an easy one, peace, love you guys), and gear

All this would be put together to host a defensive siege against an army :
- A 100% customized one via the Custom Battle editor
- Or against some preset armies of different levels like :
. The peasant army
. The average army
. The high tier army
. The army of the invincible

One of the new challenge to SP campaign would be to survive a siege against "the army of the invincible" for instance.

=> Does it look feasible ?
=> Will it require a mod ?
=> Am I the only one to feel the frustration described above ?
=> Does my suggestion sound like a good idea to respond to it ?

Wish you all the best,

Last edited by a moderator:
I am frustrated with the same thing. I want to fight a siege defensively, but I always garrison my places so well that the AI chooses another target. I have to garrison a place poorly to be able to experience a defensive siege on the sort of scale I want. I save my defensive sieges as something like the Battle of Saneopa or Battle of Lageta and then I am able to go back at some future point if I ever have the itch to fight a big defensive siege—but I don’t think I should have to do that.

Import saved game doesn't match with custom battle.
Just choose each troop instead of 4 classes of troops for faction. Even barmaiden assault.
Choose castle level.

That's not the same. I want to test my defensive abilities with a character / companions / party / troops / settlement I have been gathering and training for weeks IRL time.

It's like being at the same time a sport coach and a player and training for a competition. Your success depends on your skills but also on your long time preparation.

Last edited:
That's not the same. I want to test my defensive abilities with a character / companions / party / troops / settlement I have been gathering and training for weeks IRL time.

It's like being at the same time a sport coach and a player and training for a competition. Your success depends on your skills but also on your long time preparation.

Ok, yes, I totally get that sentiment.

Yesterday, I had my army of 185 in Sahel Castle along with a garrison and militia of 80. An army of 510 Aesari approachEd to besiege the castle. I did not have my best troops with me, only middle tiers, but I thought to myself, “Finally a chance to fight on the defensive.” But as soon as that army saw me in the castle, they changed course to raid a village.

I felt cheated. The Aserai army was not weak or made up of recruits, only 57 out of the 510 were recruits. They would have been real challenge in a siege.

Perhaps the campaign AI is not willing to risk troops if it calculates it does not have an overwhelming advantage...

I agree this is boring...

Yipie this 1200 men army is going to beseige my 200 men town... Going in with my 200 men to have an epic defensive battle...

No... When I'm inside they are going somewhere else... So I move there, and the same happen... So I move to the other castle/town, and....
(10min later)
....and the ennemie's army disband or start starving....

Maybe not just defensive but allow you to choose which side of the Siege you want to be at, so you could fight a battle as both offense and defense against the same selected party with the settlement being sieged having the same amount a type of militia troops.

Maybe not just defensive but allow you to choose which side of the Siege you want to be at, so you could fight a battle as both offense and defense against the same selected party with the settlement being sieged having the same amount a type of militia troops.
Hey,

Not sure to understand but you can besiege any settlement with your party to have fun and then get back to a previous saved game. Which is not true for defensive siege : you depend on AI decision... and it can take a long time !

Being able to use data from our saves for troop composition in custom battles would definitely be cool. Campaign wise, the AI just needs some work to make it happen I think. Some kind of distance to border calc so that the AI prioritizes the closest enemy holding, instead of the weakest.

If this were the case, you could take ownership of a border castle, and get all the defensive sieges you can handle. Probably an ulcer.

Back
Top Bottom