Leadership and Steward are overlapping skill lines needing some rework

Users who are viewing this thread

One of the most annoying things that have bothered me about the skill tree are the leadership and steward trees, I long thought it was a bug that steward, a skill line mostly about supplies and managing fiefs, was given a party bonus, while leadership, a skill line about well, leading parties, that gains exp from recruiting and army mustering, gives a garrison bonus.

When perks did not work, or weren't implemented, it did not seem all that important outside of the bonus. However, as tale world's added more perks to the game, they have now thrown a complete mixture of both party leading perks and governorship perks, into BOTH skill lines. To me, this makes not a lot of sense, as they are different attributes, cha vs int, and different themed lines. I would suggest TW move the governor oriented perks currently in the Leadeship tree to the Steward tree and move the army/leadership party perks from steward line to the leadership tree. Essentially make the steward tree focused on being a governor / fief ownership and have the leadership tree focused on being a commander. The above yellow highlighted base tree bonus should also flip flop. The current design is you have two non distinct skill lines that are muddled and similar while not being overly unique.

In the interest of balance, a new clan role called master sergeant or something similar could be introduced that would give a troop bonus, and the current quartermaster bonus could be changed to give a garrison bonus instead. Master Sargeant clan role could also give passive leadership exp gain, similar to the way quartermaster gives steward exp passively, thus fixing a longtime design problem where getting leadership is extremely difficult without having an army which requires clan tier 3 and being a vassal.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy or does this make more logical sense to you?

I forget the specifics, but there was also a tool tip error in early versions that stated the Quarter master needed leadership. It has looked to me like maybe steward was split a off skill for leadership, as leadership in warband did both passive functions of +part size and +moral. I think party size fits more with leadership as a passive and moral for steward, but perhaps it was a balance choice. Party size on leadership would make it even more valuable, while steward would be pretty ignorable.

They need to revamp the party roles for sure. I find it awful that 3 of the 4 are in Int but a companion can only be assigned 1 role. That means only the player can min/max for int and do all three roles.... but of course the player character over levels in combat and ruins this possibility.

I find great potential in using the younger sister as a high int steward, but I wish she could be the other int roles too.

I forget the specifics, but there was also a tool tip error in early versions that stated the Quarter master needed leadership. It has looked to me like maybe steward was split a off skill for leadership, as leadership in warband did both passive functions of +part size and +moral. I think party size fits more with leadership as a passive and moral for steward, but perhaps it was a balance choice. Party size on leadership would make it even more valuable, while steward would be pretty ignorable.

That's how it was in warband with leadership and I feel like they came up with steward as a govonor specific line but they seem to be all over the place with some of their design decision especially with the skill trees. Imagine if there was a tracking tree sepererate from scouting the way it was in warband with two different skills. Thats what I felt like they did with leadership and steward. Steward should be for govonors and they should add players able to govern atleast one settlement because I hate all the wasted perks for the player that only affect govonor.

I find great potential in using the younger sister as a high int steward, but I wish she could be the other int roles too.

I'm 99 percent sure my younger sister had all of her stats reset and she didn't follow the template I was building her into at all with the new education system soon as she turned 18 she got the generic npc treatment. Probably a bug for a new feature that had minimal testing due to how long it takes for the kids to age.

That's how it was in warband with leadership and I feel like they came up with steward as a govonor specific line but they seem to be all over the place with some of their design decision especially with the skill trees. Imagine if there was a tracking tree sepererate from scouting the way it was in warband with two different skills. Thats what I felt like they did with leadership and steward. Steward should be for govonors and they should add players able to govern atleast one settlement because I hate all the wasted perks for the player that only affect govonor.

I'm 99 percent sure my younger sister had all of her stats reset and she didn't follow the template I was building her into at all with the new education system soon as she turned 18 she got the generic npc treatment. Probably a bug for a new feature that had minimal testing due to how long it takes for the kids to age.
Well, I'll find out. To me it looked very generous in how many attributes it gave her in the education, but very little skill/fp. Won't matter for steward though :razz:
If she a no stat glitch like before I can still use her as steward! Still 150 days of from her joining though. In some games I've started her edjecation didn't trigger at all. In this one hers did but nothing for brother.

leadership is broken too. it gives 0.2 morale per skill level. at 150, that's +30 free morale.
one will never experience his own troops routing with decent leadership unless one pursues it specifically. maybe this is "hiding" their morale system and make it seem glitched.
currently, lords don't rout unless you kill the vast majority of their forces.

Steward feels like it should solely focused on governing skills, leadership on battle skills, and trade on logistics/supplies. Trade is currently a major pain to raise for character and NPCs, so if having surplus supplies/gold raised that trait, it would benefit everyone. Currently Steward and Leadership do in fact feel like poorly hybrid skill trees that blend into one another.

I know it's going to sound a bit too negative for not being a fully fledged suggestion, but Bannerlord's character development is not exactly the best part of the game. Though a complete overhaul is what it needs IMO, at least a streamlining of each tree like the one pointed out by the OP would do a lot of good. The implementation of two effects for each of the weapon skill traits, often a personal effect and a formation captain effect, was a big step in the right direction, but that spirit needs to penetrate and permeate character development deeper.

Back
Top Bottom