Last Resort for Multiplayer

Users who are viewing this thread

Take the public Multiplayer servers down. Return to a closed beta with members of the community that Taleworlds selects to give feedback. Work with them in a controlled environment to take steps towards generating a more enjoyable experience.

Dont relaunch the multiplayer until
  • Siege is 100% stable
  • TDM has an actual spawn system, and a set gold amount that allows new players to play more than the default 100g and 120g classes at the start.
  • Archers, Crossbows and Cavalry are in a spot that the community feels is fair to fight against while still being fun to play.
  • A set niche for the skirmisher classes is agreed upon
  • A server provider that actually provides central NA servers is found
  • Public servers no longer boot you from the game every time a round ends.
  • The 100g classes have functional shields and maybe even spears alongside them per community feedback (like the recruit does now)
  • The balance between captain mode and the pvp modes has been officially split and both communities feel comfortable with the current state of affairs
  • There are more than ~3 maps per gamemode
  • The single life mode that has been talked about since launch is at least in the early testing stages.
Every day the multiplayer remains public in its current state, anywhere between 20 to 50 players try Bannerlord multiplayer for the first time, only to see how poor it is and most likely not touch it ever again. It pains me to say it, because like many of you I have invested a good deal of time into this game (over 500 hours? huh?) but I really believe that its time to hit the panic button, stop the bleeding, and wipe the slate so that we can start on a better path.

I cant stress enough how none of the bullet points ive outlined relate directly to the melee combat. Its a mount and blade game. It has the best melee combat on earth just by that virtue. As a community, we need to build an experience around that excellent combat. Instead, darn nearly every decision made relating to the parts of the game that arent melee combat seem to make it harder to enjoy the actual meat and potatos of the game. A hard reset and return to closed beta would allow the team to analyze what is going wrong and relaunch the multiplayer with the core gameplay more in mind.

This is not me attacking the devs. They are trying to deliver the best product possible in the same way that we want to enjoy and spend money on the best product possible. Im honestly not even mad or upset right now. I genuinely believe that taking servers offline and returning to a private or open beta is the best course of action going forward. The above issues are just too big and too invasive to give us any hope of attracting new players, and in return are insuring that the ones that do try are not coming back.

They need to find a way to pick actually good testers if this happens because I have a feeling that they will just have EU's test for them like they've been doing, Though I think it would be smart for them to at least listen to a couple NA players because we have our own ideas as well and are just as involved in the game as our EU counterparts.

They need to find a way to pick actually good testers if this happens because I have a feeling that they will just have EU's test for them like they've been doing, Though I think it would be smart for them to at least listen to a couple NA players because we have our own ideas as well and are just as involved in the game as our EU counterparts.
Im really not sure what difference nationality would make. Like an NAs opinion on hilt spam vs an EUs opinion on hilt spam really wouldnt make a difference when the goal is to drill it into the devs heads that TDM needs set spawns.

As I said, the games problems transcend opinions relating to the actual combat.

Im really not sure what difference nationality would make. Like an NAs opinion on hilt spam vs an EUs opinion on hilt spam really wouldnt make a difference when the goal is to drill it into the devs heads that TDM needs set spawns.

As I said, the games problems transcend opinions relating to the actual combat.
The problem is there are players who actually enjoy the current game...

I don't think I know more than a handfull of people that enjoy playing the game outside of organized clan play (and that's because they enjoy playing together with their mates, not because the game is particularly good for it).
All of the ones I can think of hope on TDM to play for a couple of rounds once a week or so, and even for them I'm not sure if they really enjoy it.

the game isn't good right now. that's not ok for 1.5 years of player feedback.
As much as it pains me to say it, returning to a closed state as described in OP would probably be good. also please get more people for the MP team

I don't think I know more than a handfull of people that enjoy playing the game outside of organized clan play (and that's because they enjoy playing together with their mates, not because the game is particularly good for it).
All of the ones I can think of hope on TDM to play for a couple of rounds once a week or so, and even for them I'm not sure if they really enjoy it.

the game isn't good right now. that's not ok for 1.5 years of player feedback.
As much as it pains me to say it, returning to a closed state as described in OP would probably be good. also please get more people for the MP team
There would be literally nobody in the servers if only a handful of people enjoyed it. Of course the game can and should be better, but that doesn't mean there aren't hundreds of players that enjoy playing the current state of the game daily.

There would be literally nobody in the servers if only a handful of people enjoyed it. Of course the game can and should be better, but that doesn't mean there aren't hundreds of players that enjoy playing the current state of the game daily.
This game lives of of peoples hopes of it eventually becoming good.

The large majority of people playing Multiplayer on TDM/Siege I doubt have spent much time on it - so yes, you are probably right, they will enjoy the game, but I'd argue that changes once you get deeper in.

The problem is there are players who actually enjoy the current game...
This seems to be aimed at the current competitive players who are still playing the game despite it's flaws. Enjoy is a strong word, and from my perspective no one is enjoying the game, and hasn't for a long time at this stage.

The testers consisted of the top clans in EU and from what I've been told some Warband veterans. And from what I've heard not all of their feedback was taken on board. Still, there is no reason NA players should have been excluded, or any other region for that matters.

Alyss Said
[As much as it pains me to say it, returning to a closed state as described in OP would probably be good. also please get BETTER people for the MP team because the ones right now have no idea what they are doing.]

I really have a hard time trash talking the multiplayer developers. None of the things I mentioned in OP are directly in the control of the balance coordinators or map designers or technical people. Any anger I have is directed towards the people over the multiplayer devs heads who shackle them to these broken ideas that weigh all of multiplayer down. Like I seriously doubt its AVRC specifically whos forcing us to deal with the way servers work, the NA Region nonsense, TDM not having proper spawns, or the class system. Hes stuck working with what he has just like we are.

At the end of the day *broken record incoming* until they separate captain and other modes, it will be one fix hurts the other and back and forth...

I honestly think and I know y'all will hate on this... That captain is an exceptional game mode, balance is pretty good between the Kingdoms (because strategy is where balance is found)

In captain there is a lot of emergent gameplay through strategy and some of those can be described as exploits. Those things take time for devs to catch up to because players are inventing on the fly.

Skirmish is different... I was under the assumption that individual skill defines who wins in skirmish.. that has been my experience, though fairly limited. but you guys seem to place all the weight on the classes being the reason someone loses. So I am just likely wrong. Separate modes to fix it all properly.

In saying this I can definitely see that to many javs can change the dynamic massively in skirmish

Last edited:
At the end of the day *broken record incoming* until they separate captain and other modes, it will be one fix hurts the other and back and forth...

I honestly think and I know y'all will hate on this... That captain is an exceptional game mode, balance is pretty good between the Kingdoms (because strategy is where balance is found)

In captain there is a lot of emergent gameplay through strategy and some of those can be described as exploits. Those things take time for devs to catch up to because players are inventing on the fly.

Skirmish is different... I was under the assumption that individual skill defines who wins in skirmish.. that has been my experience, though fairly limited. but you guys seem to place all the weight on the classes being the reason someone loses. So I am just likely wrong. Separate modes to fix it all properly.

In saying this I can definitely see that to many javs can change the dynamic massively in skirmish

Watch this video from 1h31m55s until the end of the match:

They also played Captains later on:

Back
Top Bottom