Large battles and spawn in points

Users who are viewing this thread

Blovis

Recruit
In large battle where i out number the enemy this is really killing the game for me.

The enemy retreat and ball up a little (which is fine their outnumbered) but as their numbers get whittled down the spawn point is now right in the middle of my back line and totally messing up my tactics, I'm all for the enemy using clever tactics but to pull back so their reinforcement are spawning in at my back line is pure cheese, sure i still win but take way more casualties than i would have.

reinforcement need to come in from the edges not magically appear in the middle of the battle.

Also battle sizes need to be increased 200 to 300 vs roughly the same number are great go much over that and the spawn ins just start spoiling the whole feel of the fight and don't get me started on huge battles.

So i called in every lord i could have just under 2k men vs a pitiful 800. now the battle gauge was actually around 60/40 which is fine i thought they have good troops this fight is going to be epic. So the fight starts and i looks over and troops and think WHAT THE **** is going on. My starting force has 16 (yes 16) archers about 40 cav and the rest is infantry (dont remember the exact number but near 200). What am i suppose to do with 16 archers lol

My own army is normally set up with roughly 25% archers the same with cavalry(quite often drop their % because they are pretty bad) and 50% infantry. I get that the game is just giving me the percentage of troops that the other lords have brought in but for the love of my sanity let me pick the starting troops if i'm the battle commander.

100% agree

Its really bad when playing against the Khuzaits, he brings 100s of horse archers and lancers, they keep spawning and splitting up running around everywhere, I cant control the battlefield because they spawn inside.

This has been an issue for over a decade in this franchise lol

Yup, I truly wish there was a way around this issue, it was a big gripe for me in Warband, annoying as hell. Perhaps not allowing reinforcements and having second and even third battles for the rest of the troops, I honestly can't tell if its a good solution. Even with reinforcement troops coming from the edges there may still be an issue with battle positioning being constantly disrupted.

I hate it when I'm outnumbered and see an excellent defendable spot. This will give me a temporary advantage, but unfortunately it means all my reinforcements will die.

I would like to see reinforcements spawn directly into their units. Perhaps have a Standard bearer in each unit that soldiers spawn on- preferably individually as they die.

I hate it when I'm outnumbered and see an excellent defendable spot. This will give me a temporary advantage, but unfortunately it means all my reinforcements will die.

I would like to see reinforcements spawn directly into their units. Perhaps have a Standard bearer in each unit that soldiers spawn on- preferably individually as they die.
I wouldn't want troops spawning directly on them, that would be just as unimmersive as the current spawns, but functional standards bearers would be awesome. I mean, bannerlord... where are the banners?

I think the starting flag(with the gear chest for when you forget to change gear pre battle) from warband should come back. Reinforcements spawn at the flag, and then head for their standard bearer. If the enemy force(or your force) are pushed back between that starting flag and map edge, then reinforcements come from the map edge.

Standard bearers stand a bit behind whatever unit they belong to, for safety, and perhaps reinforcements could spawn up to halfway between standard bearer and starting flag, based on leader tactics.

I wouldn't want troops spawning directly on them, that would be just as unimmersive as the current spawns, but functional standards bearers would be awesome. I mean, bannerlord... where are the banners?

I think the starting flag(with the gear chest for when you forget to change gear pre battle) from warband should come back. Reinforcements spawn at the flag, and then head for their standard bearer. If the enemy force(or your force) are pushed back between that starting flag and map edge, then reinforcements come from the map edge....
Perhaps a better idea would be to have a standard bearer that all troops spawn from, who basically in his own unit. If he goes down, then another picks it up until that unit runs out of soldiers. Should no one grab it, reinforcements spawn from original spawn point. Oh, and obviously the player himself could carry it.

And yes, bring back the war chest. Too many times I've made inventory mistakes. But add that you can grab horses out of there too. Actually, now that I'm thinking as I type, instead of a war chest, add a baggage train. Maybe just a big, slow moving wagon (destructible) with arrow barrels and a spawn point. Push it too far forward and it could be captured, hold it too far back and its not as effective.

Traditionally, once the baggage train was captured, it was game over for the army, so no more spawns. Of course, currently the battles are too fast to do this. We'd need a little set up time (and so would the AI).

"Standard bearers stand a bit behind whatever unit they belong to, for safety, and perhaps reinforcements could spawn up to halfway between standard bearer and starting flag, based on leader tactics."

We do need Standard bearers. They were so important in medieval times that carrying one was an honour given to the most deserving, even tho it meant one of the best fighters was rendered incapable. For Fun's sake, give each unit a banner. If the Standard bearer goes down, the standard is picked up immediately by whoever is nearest. If the enemy pushes enough that the standard cannot be picked up for more than, say ten seconds, the unit falls back until a new standard bearer is spawned and they all follow him.

It would be annoying as fork, but definitely add something to the game.

Perhaps a better idea would be to have a standard bearer that all troops spawn from, who basically in his own unit. If he goes down, then another picks it up until that unit runs out of soldiers. Should no one grab it, reinforcements spawn from original spawn point. Oh, and obviously the player himself could carry it.

And yes, bring back the war chest. Too many times I've made inventory mistakes. But add that you can grab horses out of there too. Actually, now that I'm thinking as I type, instead of a war chest, add a baggage train. Maybe just a big, slow moving wagon (destructible) with arrow barrels and a spawn point. Push it too far forward and it could be captured, hold it too far back and its not as effective.

Traditionally, once the baggage train was captured, it was game over for the army, so no more spawns. Of course, currently the battles are too fast to do this. We'd need a little set up time (and so would the AI).

We do need Standard bearers. They were so important in medieval times that carrying one was an honour given to the most deserving, even tho it meant one of the best fighters was rendered incapable. For Fun's sake, give each unit a banner. If the Standard bearer goes down, the standard is picked up immediately by whoever is nearest. If the enemy pushes enough that the standard cannot be picked up for more than, say ten seconds, the unit falls back until a new standard bearer is spawned and they all follow him.

It would be annoying as fork, but definitely add something to the game.

A moving baggage train might be too much, unless ambushes become a thing, but a static one with arrow barrels and a war chest at the initial point is a great idea. There's even precedent and assets for it already. When you defend caravans their mules and barrels and such are represented on the field. Some of your horses would be there as well, and your dehorsed cavalry would try to make it back for one if they were close enough.

The automatic fallback could would be annoying sometimes, but also useful. It can be hard to keep track of what's going on in the mosh pit, especially when I'm cracking skulls personally, so seeing a bunch of them suddenly falling back would be a large clue that we're being overrun.

Totally agree. Total War did reinforcements from the edges.
Tale Worlds uses their 'entry points' 0-9 for scenes, at least in WB. I think it is the same in BL; as I haven't seen that much change in philosophy from WB to BL.
I don't think it is anything they even considered at the concept stage and therefore will be tough to implement after the fact as a bandaid.

I want my supplies and reinforcements close to where my army is positioned, so a moving baggage train would be nice.

But I agree that it is difficult to manage a large battle. Too many times I've been busy fighting off cavalry that I forgot to forward my infantry, or told my archers to open fire.

In warband I learned you can do fancy tactics or you can fight, and Bannerlord is even worse. I wish I could tell the cav to protect the right flank or the HA to skirmish rather than attempt to micromanage. But I guess that's another thread.

Back
Top Bottom