Lance system PLUS recruiting peasants

Users who are viewing this thread

eh we cant get heraldic mail (beyond the ****ty one that requires 10 str) and heraldic horses for being your own king PLUS cant yield 250-300 troops like every other king on the map and you are concerned with troop differences. lol. I think compromise to where conquered towns/whatever will produce 40 percent faction troops and 60 percent local troops would be a solution.

vodka1983 said:
eh we cant get heraldic mail (beyond the ****ty one that requires 10 str) and heraldic horses for being your own king PLUS cant yield 250-300 troops like every other king on the map and you are concerned with troop differences. lol. I think compromise to where conquered towns/whatever will produce 40 percent faction troops and 60 percent local troops would be a solution.

LOL, you seem concerned with heraldic mail?  :roll: :mrgreen: Honestly, I think an 80 to 20 ration would be good, or even 90 to 10 we can dream right? Heck why build a church in a manor, if there are never conversions among the locals.

True, what are the clerics doing with the money i donate them? they should do something cause they don't give me any order knight when i pray for them, they only give me papers now, i want them to work, hehehehehe...

I will make one more point about troops in different regions/cultures: When I took Barrca in North Africa, I was subsequently at war with the Mamluks. The thing was I was fighting their armies with the exact same troops as they had. That is what kills it for me; :cry: a carbon copy battle, with forces the exact same as mine just seems out of place. I am essentially Mamluk, It makes your culture adapt completely to the culture you conquer. There is no conquering, it is about adaptation:

As well, the argument about slow time rates hindering trans-cultural diffusion is a non sequitur in this mod. Ultimately in reality a few early game merchant trips from Europe to Syria and back and it be 1277 AD. The mod presents a feeling that a lot more time has gone by then what the date portrays. Time makes little sense in this mod, that is not a criticism, the native map is so different. The way 1257 AD works now is probably the best way to do it.   

"Forced diffusion occurs when one culture subjugates (conquers or enslaves) another culture and forces its own customs on the conquered people. An example would be the forced Christianization of the indigenous populations of the Americas by the Spanish, French, English and Portuguese, or the forced Islamization of West African peoples by the Fula[dubious – discuss] or of the Nuristanis by the Afghans."

"Inter-cultural diffusion can happen in many ways. Migrating populations will carry their culture with them. Ideas can be carried by trans-cultural visitors, such as merchants, explorers, soldiers, diplomats, slaves, and hired artisans. Technology diffusion has often occurred by one society luring skilled scientists or workers by payments or other inducement. Trans-cultural marriages between two neighboring or interspersed cultures have also contributed. Among literate societies, diffusion can happen through letters or books (and, in modern times, through other media as well)." 

Either way it is an interesting topic, nonetheless.  :mrgreen:

indeed, very interesting.

so let me try to sum up the suggestions:

-Peasant recruiting: be able to recruit (steal) a small amount of peasants from villages who want to run away. Gives a drop in relationship with the town and the lord that owns them.
The only exception should be if the kingdom is at war and the king wants soldiers or the local noble is a friend.

-Scum recruiting:
be able to recruit also drunkards, looters ,pirates and bandits in general .
The scums were insert in the troop tree under the lower level and they evolve later.
mixing them with regular troops could mean a drop in morale for your army, until they advance in the troop tree ("grow" into the army, earn their respect and place among the ranks).
maybe also a drop in relationship with other lords or kingdom.

Maybe a religion conversion bonus could be added to your faction for building a place of worship in a foreign land. Then as as time goes by you would be able to recruit your cultures soldiers ( albeit very limited) based on how long you have had the building?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I also wish there were soldiers that were bound to one culture, that no other faction could recruit unless tied to that specific culture. For example a western cultured player could not recruit elite Golden Horde soldiers, the soldiers they could recruit from those territories would only be mercenaries, even in the event of occupation in the culture. It would give some distinction to each faction, But that would entail massive amounts of coding I am sure. 

I'm with you Stevehoos, perhaps the elite golden horde soldiers could be changed for a mercenary X, the milites from europe could be changed for errant knight if you're not a western culture player, etc... They could have some changes in their stats and prices from the original ones.

I just had an idea:

What if recruiting of bandits or other criminals gives you -5 in relation to ALL factions, if you don't belong to any faction?

This would let most factions see you as a bandit gang, if you surround yourself with this scum. (Except for factions that really like you, but you will lose much respect from them)

poncratias said:
I just had an idea:
What if recruiting of bandits or other criminals gives you -5 in relation to ALL factions, if you don't belong to any faction?
This would let most factions see you as a bandit gang, if you surround yourself with this scum. (Except for factions that really like you, but you will lose much respect from them)
That's sort of a kick in the teeth to historical realism right down to the current day. Saddam Hussein was the son of a pimp who put his al-Tikriti clan in power and was courted by just about every side before the Anfal campaign. Within the last forty years the US still accepted "jail or Army" recruits. Don't even get me started on conscription's stinking fruit. The Rough Rider's had troops from the finest families as well as people who broke out of jail to join.

The most powerful deodorant in the world is power, and the most effective version of power is good troops.

In my opinion the enlist of scum should only cause a drop of morale in the troops not because they are bad but because these guys are not reliable on the battlefield  or worst at night while camping. They could slice your neck and run away with your purse the night of the pay.

Quintus Fabius Scaurus said:
They could slice your neck and run away with your purse the night of the pay.

Great idea for a random event some of your soldiers killed and some items or gold robbed by your own bandits recruits...

Fordo said:
Quintus Fabius Scaurus said:
They could slice your neck and run away with your purse the night of the pay.
Great idea for a random event some of your soldiers killed and some items or gold robbed by your own bandits recruits...
In the first days of my (US Navy) boot camp in 1984, there was a guy who had zippers and extra buttholes on his skin, the indication of being shot or a whole lot of bad surgery. He explained that he'd gotten the damage in a bank robbery several years before. Perhaps naively, I assured everybody that he was either a liar or about to be gone. He wasn't a liar, but he was gone the next day. Word came that his recruiter got to spend some quality time in jail for aiding fraudulent enlistment.

It was a good thing the system worked, because he probably would have beaten me like a drum. I'm not sure the Army would have been as brisk back then at rolling the felon up, but the wonderful thing about nuclear power and weapons is that they inspire vigor in personnel matters. Probably 25% of my boot camp class was going to have dealings with things that glow in the dark, and tolerating sociopaths in that company was not acceptable to the folks in charge. (Trust me, this dude was a nasty nutcase.)

In the context of the game, the only thing that keeps killers from slitting the other troops' throats is the presence of a whole lot of armed folks around. That's true of reality as well, by the way.

Honestly, I like the existing lance system as is. It's much better and realistic than vanilla. I think there's no need of changing it IMHO, there are lots of other things to improve/change.

And about those random events... better don't... Brytenwalda have some of them and are interesting, but those you say... waste of time (IMHO, of course)

Thx guys :smile:

noone was talking about changing lance system.  :?:

it is, like the title suggests and the posts in it, "lance system PLUS these ideas", and would go along just fine.

poncratias said:
noone was talking about changing lance system.  :?:

it is, like the title suggests and the posts in it, "lance system PLUS these ideas", and would go along just fine.

Sorry, didn't express quite well. I mean IMHO there's no need of adding the peasants recruit. Same waste of time for me. I understand your point of view, but I'm happy with the actual system that doesn't allow recruiting of peasant in villages that don't belong to you. For several reasons, some about historical accuracy and another for playability. Hope now it's more clear :smile:

Thx  :wink:

Back
Top Bottom