Lack of diversity in difficulty when invading castles

Users who are viewing this thread

HotPie

Regular
So I've been wondering if anyone has noticed a difference in difficulty when besieging different settlements. Pretty much all of them follow the same pattern/layout, I know not all the settlements are unique from one another yet but it seems to be the pattern across every culture which makes sieging tedious. (Let us assume siege AI works for the sake of this discussion).

Warband was very diverse with its castles to the point where you would dread having to besiege certain ones. Culmarr Castle in the Rhodok lands for instance was a blood bath for the attacker. But it stood as the gateway to invading the Rhodoks for Swadia. Even though warbands siege mechanics were very basic it still added a lot of depth to the game because I'd dread the day I'd have to go to war with the Rhodoks, they were easy enough to defeat in the field but absolute tanks in castles and that wasn't just due to their archers and heavy inf, but the actual design of their castles.

Bannerlord needs some sort of diversity when it comes to this. I mean sturgia have some of the best layouts for a solid defense, when you break through the gate your troops are funneled into a tight corridor flanked s by walls which archers could use to decimate your army, but they never do.

I'd like to visit a town or castle prior to a war and think about a strategy "troops would be too compact on this side of the wall so I'll deploy a siege tower on the other side" or "this castle will be a killing field I'll need to knock down the walls".

Or maybe in the future (with mods lets be honest) have multiple points to land an attack, focusing a larger force on one side and a smaller on the other to split up the defenders, but I'm getting ahead of myself their.

The broken siege AI is simply the surface problem with sieges atm, once it's fixed we'll only realise how mundane sieges can be.

(I don't want to be another doomer in this forum, I love this game and its brought be hundreds of hours of enjoyment I just wanted to say my point)

More unique castle scenes is something I expect to be on their to-do list but is still in progress due to the amount of work required. If it's not, then I'd be disappointed. I like that walls have tiers that actually affect the siege scene, but terrain is also very important, as you said.

More unique castle scenes is something I expect to be on their to-do list but is still in progress due to the amount of work required. If it's not, then I'd be disappointed. I like that walls have tiers that actually affect the siege scene, but terrain is also very important, as you said.
Agreed. When the game first released, more unique scenes was at the top of my wish list as it's something I like most about this type of game. Every time I got an overhaul mod for WB I'd put on cheat mode a teleport to all the major locations just to explore (last days of the third age wins in that regard).

On a side note I hope that they're considering changing the diversity of keeps rather than just having 3 variations per culture.

Some of them are much much easier. For me I notice a big difference in where some maps will let you deploy right up to the wall, sometimes easily even in position to avoid siege weapons. Like this here, many imperial fiefs will let you just put your troops right where you want em, saving you from eating a couple ranged siege weapon strikes at least from skipping the approach.

? Archers with their MG42s. Imagine if it was like this in medieval:
-sir, we lost 10 castle to Khuzait
+how the fucck did they do that
-report says they walk up to walls and start looseing their arrows
+WTF! Why the hell we are building these castles, anyway?

The only difficulty in sieges is when your troops don't know how to climb ladders so they end up sending 1 man every 3 minutes and they all die 1 by 1

Some of them are much much easier. For me I notice a big difference in where some maps will let you deploy right up to the wall, sometimes easily even in position to avoid siege weapons. Like this here, many imperial fiefs will let you just put your troops right where you want em, saving you from eating a couple ranged siege weapon strikes at least from skipping the approach.

Kinda feel as though that's not working as intended. I get your point though. Just seems to be more of a bug than a feature

"...I'll need to knock down the walls".
I would love if we had destructable walls but I also understand the complexity tied to this. Mainly why I havent suggested it. Im no programmer but I imagine that actual destructable walls is a challenge in itself but not only that, also the aftermath: Attacker wins and must spend time and resources to repair the damage she caused and until the damage is fixed the castle is vulnerable. Building a wall takes a lot of time (I imagine) and resources. It just doesnt go from ruin to shiny new wall, it has steps, steps that must be modeled and coded. AI needs to be enabled as well and it must choose to destroy or not to destroy on its own. Eventhough Im not a programmer Im getting abit dizzy thinking about this

I would love if we had destructable walls but I also understand the complexity tied to this. Mainly why I havent suggested it. Im no programmer but I imagine that actual destructable walls is a challenge in itself but not only that, also the aftermath: Attacker wins and must spend time and resources to repair the damage she caused and until the damage is fixed the castle is vulnerable. Building a wall takes a lot of time (I imagine) and resources. It just doesnt go from ruin to shiny new wall, it has steps, steps that must be modeled and coded. AI needs to be enabled as well and it must choose to destroy or not to destroy on its own. Eventhough Im not a programmer Im getting abit dizzy thinking about this
What are you talking about? There are destructible walls in-game. One on each side of the gate. You destroy them with siege equipment in the strategic map, then they will remain destroyed during the siege. They will repair over time.

I meant knocking down the walls in the campaign map, I understand knocking them down in the siege battle would be too complex. To piggy back off your other point though, it should take a long time to repair knocked down walls after you take a settlement, making you vulnerable to a counter siege. Should make the player think twice about just trebucheting their way through the map.

Back
Top Bottom