La Haye Sainte, models, and buildings and maps.

Users who are viewing this thread

poomtang

Knight at Arms
Here's a brief description of the battle for La Haye Sainte which we intend to reproduce as accurately as possble, it was a battle fought by the King's German Legion 2nd Light Battalion and the Nassauers against the French. We'll be making the 2nd KGL and the Nassauers especially for this map. which will be for both SP and MP.

La Haye Sainte (sacred hedge) is a walled farmhouse compound at the foot of an escarpment on the Charleroi-Brussels road. It has changed very little since it played a very important part in the battle of Waterloo on June 18, 1815. The road leads from La Belle Alliance, where Napoleon had his headquarters on the morning of the battle, through where the centre of the French front line was located, to a crossroads on the ridge which is at the top of the escarpment and then on to Brussels. The Duke of Wellington placed the majority of his forces on either side of the Brussels road behind the ridge on the Brussels side. This kept most of his forces out of sight of the French artillery. During the night from the 17th to the 18th, the main door to the courtyard of the farm was used as firewood by the occupying troops. Therefore, when the King's German Legion (KGL) was stationed in the farm at the morning of the battle, they had to hastily fortify La Haye Sainte. The troops were the 2nd Light Battalion KGL commanded by Major Georg Baring, and part of the 1st Light Battalion KGL. During the battle, they were supported by the 1/2 Nassau Regiment and the light company of the 5th Line Battalion KGL. The majority of these troops were armed with the Baker rifle, as opposed to the normal Brown Bess musket of the British Army.

Both Napoleon and Wellington realized the strategic value of the position and it was fought over and around most of the day.

At 13:00, the French Grand Battery of heavy artillery opened fire before d'Erlon's Corps (54th and 55th Ligne) marched forward in columns. The French managed to surround La Haye Sainte and despite taking heavy casualties from the garrison, they attacked the centre left of Wellington's line. As the centre began to give way and La Haye Sainte became vulnerable, Picton's division was sent to plug the gap. As the French were beaten back from La Haye Sainte, the heavy cavalry brigades under Somerset and Ponsonby attacked. This action relieved the pressure on the fortress farm.

At 15:00, Napoleon ordered Marshal Ney to capture La Haye Sainte. While Ney was engaged in the glorious but futile 8,000 man cavalry attack, unsupported by infantry or cannon, on Allied squares on the Brussels side of the ridge, he failed to take La Haye Sainte.

At 17:30, Napoleon re-issued orders for Ney to take La Haye Sainte. The French had worked up close to the buildings by this time. At 18:00 Marshal Ney, heavily supported by artillery and some cavalry, took personal command of an infantry regiment (13th Legere) and a company of engineers and captured La Haye Sainte with a furious assault. "The light battalion of the German Legion, which occupied it, had expended all its ammunition" and had to retreat. Allied forces were unable to counterattack immediately, as they were in squares over the ridge. The French brought up guns to fire from its cover, but riflemen of the 1/95 in the "sand pit" to the east of the farm, picked off all the gunners, so the guns were ineffective.

At 19:00, thanks to the French garrison in La Haye Sainte, the Imperial Guard was able to climb the escarpment and attack the Allies on the Brussels side of the ridge. This final attack was beaten back and became a rout around 20:10 as the French forces realised that with the arrival of the Prussians from the east, they were beaten. During the French retreat, La Haye Sainte was recaptured by the Allies, some time before 21:00, when Blücher met Wellington at La Belle Alliance.

Today, La Haye Sainte is privately owned as a family home. On the walls are memorials to the KGL and the French. Opposite the house is a monument for the officers and the soldiers of the KGL.

plan_La_Haye_Sainte1.gif

kgl1.jpg

InfanterieLegere02KGLcarabiniers1.png

InfanterieNassau02fusiliers1.png

InfanterieKGL05legere1.png

72.jpg

Miniatures are awesome and Miniature painters/collecters are crazy sticklers for historical accuracy. So i found this while looking for other things.

airfix-04738-waterloo-farm.jpg

Angry Newbie said:
Miniatures are awesome and Miniature painters/collecters are crazy sticklers for historical accuracy. So i found this while looking for other things.

airfix-04738-waterloo-farm.jpg
looks like great the miniatures lol

Here's our first model for the La Haye Sainte  project, Karrantukki, has made us a 2nd KGL shako, I'll texture map it and photoshop it tonight and we'll get a better view, but well done and welcome to the mod team. I'll try and get him to go a step further and make the KGL 2nd Battalion soldiers for the mod. Also, while I'm on Crazzy has been re-making the dialogues so they won't sound so medieval, the currency has changed to Shillings for example and there's now talk of muskets rather than pikes and so on, again, many thanks Crazzy and welcome to the mod team, he'll be helping out with historical info.

openBrf2012-03-2108-16-44-65.jpg

Hmmm, I would so love to help! I'm however absolutely non-experienced...Do you have something for me to try? Preferably, simple.

for the SP? Lots of things to be changed too. Best to give me a few options, otherwise I'll spend half my time deciding what scene to make!

Here's Karantukki's shako for the 2nd KGL that I've done a quick texture for, still needs a spec map and a normal map and its good to go. Viccard, I'll PM you about all this thanks.

openBrf2012-03-2120-33-42-69.jpg

I think you should give us factions to do, or just give me the more complex/detailed scenes.

edit: Don't want to sound like an arrogant ****.

looks very good the shako for the 2nd KGL i want to see the uniform of the KGL.
A question; you're fixed the sounds of the swords when you hit a enemy?, because I listen the same sound of the wood sword.  :oops:

Mag_Peter_InDomi :lol:

Here's the first completed KGL model a soldier of the 2nd light battalion, these guys will be armed with Baker rifles for the defence of La Haye Sainte, be working on an officer and NCO over the weekend, so the group should be done in a day or so.

openBrf2012-03-2408-43-25-39.jpg

Here's another model I manged to squeeze in this morning a 5th Battalion KIng's German Legion light company soldier, who were also present at La Haye Sainte, thats the defenders almost complete, moving onto the building models shortly.

openBrf2012-03-2410-39-32-02.jpg

Well I think Wolfi is a bit busy at the moment and he's doing the MP side of things, as far as La Haye Sainte is concerned, I haven't made the buildings yet, Hougoumont is ready to go in SP and will be in the next update by Vympel as a "Quick Battle" siege game and will also be one of the towns on the new map. Plancenoit village will be made at some point as a quick battle map for the Prussians then I think we'll be moving onto the war of 1812 and the USA.

Here's another model for the King's Germans this time an officer, shoulder wings need a slight adjustment, but otherwise good to go.

openBrf2012-03-2416-39-37-17.jpg

Back
Top Bottom