Kudos to the makers of Realistic Battle Mod and

Users who are viewing this thread

After testing this Mod again in 1.5.10, I still find it pretty disappointing...

I tested again the same battle which I tested a year ago and the result is almost the same... T5 archers are actually more OP than in Vanilla because AI Lords usually have 30-50% lightly armored units and T5 archers are pretty OP in Realistic Battle MOD against these units low tier units (Archers are also OP in Vanilla but to a lesser extentt).

Vanilla:

Realistic Battle Mod:

Plus the AI for infantry units with RBM is really bad and they run ahead without any kind of formation/cohesion. I really cannot understand why people love so much this mod... If it is all related to armors giving more protection, there are much better alternatives like increasing yourself armor effectiveness in the ComputeRawDamageNew Method.

After testing this Mod again in 1.5.10, I still find it pretty disappointing...
I can still see that your Palatine guards have no cloaks, i.e. you are running this mod without RBM Unit Overhaul.
So, what you show here is either a mod conflict or a botched RBM installation (or both).

So, for the last time:
1. Make sure you have a clean BL install
2. PROPERLY install all four RBM modules
3. Abstain from other combat/troop related mods.

Last edited:
In 1.5.9 - With RB installed (ai module+combat module) I just ran a test under the same conditions on the same map (plains_a) with very different results. My palatine archers have been overrun when the bulk of enemy infantry has reached their closest melee range :???:.

---
It is not a prerequisite to install the unit overhaul module to appreciate the abysmal differences between the native and the mod.

"If anyone is having problem with ridiculous archer or crossbow damage, you most probably have some other mod activated which changes bows or arrows. My best advice is to use Fixed Launcher and move Realistic battle mod to the bottom of mod load order. Also even mods that modify armors and melee weapons might unintentionally modify ranged weapons and ammo and therefore conflict with our mod."
That's from the mod's Nexus page.

My palatine archers have been overrun when the bulk of enemy infantry has reached their closest melee range :???:.
With full RBM, Palatine Archers become mediocre range combatants, but absolutely tear asses in close combat.
Several times these guys saved me on a brink of defeat, while doing a banzai charge and actually winning. All my footmen/cavalrymen had been slain/wounded by that moment.

Idk, i tried RBM but couldn't get myself to like it. I'm just too used to how vanilla feels and plays, i disabled RBM almost immediately.

"If anyone is having problem with ridiculous archer or crossbow damage, you most probably have some other mod activated which changes bows or arrows. My best advice is to use Fixed Launcher and move Realistic battle mod to the bottom of mod load order. Also even mods that modify armors and melee weapons might unintentionally modify ranged weapons and ammo and therefore conflict with our mod."
That's from the mod's Nexus page.

With full RBM, Palatine Archers become mediocre range combatants, but absolutely tear asses in close combat.
Several times these guys saved me on a brink of defeat, while doing a banzai charge and actually winning. All my footmen/cavalrymen had been slain/wounded by that moment.
I have not tested the module in particular and therefore do not have an in-depth opinion. However, I do not have any modules that create any conflict with projectile effectiveness or projectile performance on ranged troops. I mean, with ai module + combat module it's supposed to notice a very different playable experience if compared with native.
---
I won't say RB is a **** mod because I don't think so. That said, I think what it offers is the way to go; Could be improved? of course, but for me it offers a playable experience far beyond what the default native offers today.

I can still see that your Palatine guards have no cloaks, i.e. you are running this mod without RBM Unit Overhaul.
So, what you show here is either a mod conflict or a botched RBM installation (or both).

So, for the last time:
1. Make sure you have a clean BL install
2. PROPERLY install all four RBM modules
3. Abstain from other combat/troop related mods.
1. Clean install, I have re-installed the game today just to test the mod.
2- Did not know that RBM Unit Overhaul was mandatory to make feel the game more balanced, sorry for that.
3- I have not any other mod installed, just RBM.

After installing the RBM Unit Overhaul, now Palatine Guard is still OP but it is not related to OP archery but armor is now pretty decisive. I will give it a try to check.

1. Clean install, I have re-installed the game today just to test the mod.
2- Did not know that RBM Unit Overhaul was mandatory to make feel the game more balanced, sorry for that.
3- I have not any other mod installed, just RBM.
Unit Overhaul is not ABSOLUTELY necessary. However, all changes from Combat and AI modules were made with Unit Overhaul in mind. Thus, even vanilla units may behave strange with RBM Combat and AI, not to mention other troop overhauls, like De Re Militari and others.

I've been using RBM since 1.5.6 (with no other troop/combat mods) and I have never seen such OP ranged damage. So, assuming you are fully sincere with us, you have a very rare bug. Its not an intended behaviour for this mod. And I suggest you post the problem on the mod's Nexus page.

I've reverted back to 1.5.9 and thought I'd try out this mod since I've read many good things about it. I've got to say, it's bloody marvelous.

Tournaments are now pretty damn challenging especially at the start because armour really does something and the AI are like Bruce Lee with the nunchucks. Fighting lords in their fancy armour can be difficult when you're doing 2-3 damage per hit. You have to go for the eyes boo!

Battles are great too. Horse archers actually do what they used to do and keep a respectful distance from infantry.

It's like a whole new game. Armour values actually make sense too (for the most part).

Well done!
Boo ,where it all began..for me at least.

Back
Top Bottom