kuauik's sweatshop ;0)

Users who are viewing this thread

Al_Mansur said:
Kuauik, it is really important to have a long sleeved version of andalusi_horseman_robe for North Africans. It is beautiful, accurate and would boost them (indeed it's a full hauberk). But its name should be different :wink:
already sent it to Othr :wink:

I just noticed something:

Are the coats of plates correct, the way they are currently? Compared to all the other armours they look somewhat strange to me...  :???:

First of all there is the same problem like with those norman and kettle helmets was: the saturation of the colours is way too high, some modern housewifes would be glad if they could keep such a bright red in the sweaters of their children  :wink: And don't forget the pure white of the Teutonic coat!

Then: I googled it a bit, and I saw the tabard could look this way, indeed, but I think it's only for infantry. Why do I think so? Because there is no vent (online translator) between the legs, to be able to ride a horse properly. All the other mails are cut in up to where the balls are, to make riding easier and more comfortable.

And the last point: I think it would look better, if there weren't only vertical "stripes" but also horizontal, to create a real chequer, so that you can actually see the plates. The last point is not that important, but I think as you are already changing the textures (if you accept my suggestion) it would make things look more pretty.  :mrgreen:

Edit: just look yourself:

hospitallers.jpg

plates.jpg

In fact I think the coats are really ugly  :???:

Edit2: And you could rename the Teutonic and any HRE coat of plates to "Spangenharnisch", as this is the old German name of it.

dude,this armours are somewhat prehistoric,they are not even in the mod ,maybe some of the Hospitaller,btw i always research how the armour looked like ,so no horizontal plates,in fact they arent even visible,its just the rivets that stick them to the fabric :wink:

Yeah, I recognized this later, as I messed up coat of plates with brigandine.  :???:

Anyway, I thought I saw the coats of plates in the last SVN version (yeah, I downloaded it finally  :mrgreen: ), at least the Teutonic one.  :???:

Edit: just remembered something, as we are already talking about plates:

What's with this?

men.jpg

I know Braveheart is horribly inaccurate about most historical facts, but the English armours looked somewhat accurate to me, e.g. those bascinets with aventail of the two English leaders at the battle of Stirling (without any bridge  :lol: ). I know this was 50 years after the mod takes place, but on the other hand there could still be some overlapping concerning the armour anyway.

So: did this armour exist this way (what do you do if the enemy sword hits you between two plates?  :roll: )? Was it used during the time of the movie? And could it have been used in 1257? I don't know how it is called, so I can't google it myself  :???:

Braveheart is notorious for not having enough budget for chainmail, so they made a bizarre mixture of scale, plates and bollocks to cover it up.

Look at the two generals from Stirling or Bannockburn. They are supposed to be members of the highest English nobility, and yet they don't even have a mail aventail. It's some sort of ****ty leader.

A pity, because if Braveheart had had more budget and, more important, better research, it would have been really beautiful.

Cèsar de Quart said:
Look at the two generals from Stirling or Bannockburn. They are supposed to be members of the highest English nobility, and yet they don't even have a mail aventail. It's some sort of ****ty leader.

Yeah, those are the two helmets I was talking of. I knew that bascinets with aventail were used at that time (as alternative to the great helmet), but I thought those leather thing was more "It has to look like the helmets of men who actually fight, but as I am cool and noble I only have a fancy, trendy leather aventail, because I don't need something else.". Some kind of mixture between "I am a fight0r" and "I am a n0ble", you know what I mean?  :mrgreen:

Although I couldn find a picture of them, can't it be the leather only covers the mail?  :???:

Edit: found them on youtube:
helmets1zxct.jpg

Joker86 said:
"It has to look like the helmets of men who actually fight, but as I am cool and noble I only have a fancy, trendy leather aventail, because I don't need something else.". Some kind of mixture between "I am a fight0r" and "I am a n0ble"

I know what you mean, but it's still totally made up. Even the bascinet seems to be non-metallic.

Look, that's a good approximation of how would William Wallace and Robert Bruce look like:

williamwallace.jpg

The effort is admirable, but 99% of these armours are way off the timeframe. XVth Century ownwards. And I'm not sure about the remaining 1% (which is the mask. It looks like a Cuman mask from the XIIIth, but I could be wrong).

Take care!

Cèsar de Quart said:
The effort is admirable, but 99% of these armours are way off the timeframe. XVth Century ownwards. And I'm not sure about the remaining 1% (which is the mask. It looks like a Cuman mask from the XIIIth, but I could be wrong).

Take care!
u sure that they are outta the timeframe? seems pretty high middle age to me.    :mrgreen:
anyway thanx for ur help. :grin:

alabataille said:
Cèsar de Quart said:

Take care!
u sure that they are outta the timeframe? seems pretty high middle age to me.    :mrgreen:
anyway thanx for ur help. :grin:
It is. Some of that stuff is 15th and higher except for that Byzantine armor and a couple I didn't check out.

I have a little request concerning 1257AD, before the team moves on to something else.. could it be possible to have a mail coif added without the ventail? With just the "V" shaped lower part, so to speak.. maybe for less wealthy troops or just for players :smile:

GodHandApostole said:
I have a little request concerning 1257AD, before the team moves on to something else.. could it be possible to have a mail coif added without the ventail? With just the "V" shaped lower part, so to speak.. maybe for less wealthy troops or just for players :smile:

There is no real reason for which you would wear a coif with no ventail. And, as far as I know, no iconography shows poor troops wearing ventail-less coifs. If they are poor, they don't have mail, as simple as that.

In Kingdom of Heaven they knew this, so they decided to make the characters wear the ventail always untied, so that they show their face more often.

Now, a coif with an untied ventail would be a good idea. But it would be hard to make it "move" according to the chest. Impossible, I'd say, unless they make a chest armour with a head extension.

Back
Top Bottom