Known things that will cause you to CTD or Lag heavily!

Users who are viewing this thread

Kinsume

Knight
WB
Alright so I'm making this topic in order to prevent the same questions from being asked over and over again. Post under it when you get a CTD or Heavy Lag. If it's a CTD try to explain in detail what you were doing when the crash happened. Include things such as your ingame settings and such. For the heavy lag please include your ingame settings as well as your Pc specs.

Causes

1. For Windows Vista/7 Anything above a 2 ghz processor, 2 gigs of ram, and 512mb. Windows xp is pretty much the same with a bit more leave way in terms of ram requirements. (Laptops require even more, unless its a laptop built specifically for gaming with high end specs a laptop performs horribly for gaming)

2. Having "Textures on Demand" not checked in the configure settings. (For every PC)

3. Having "Force Single Threading" not checked in the advanced settings. (Primarily for dual or quad core PC's)

4. Putting Ragdolls and Corpses to unlimited. (10 Ragdolls/40 Corpses or less is usually what you want)

5. Having your battlesizer over 200. (I suggest only going above 150 for PC's that exceed the specs I stated above)

6. Having your performance % under 100%. (The better the game looks, the slower it will run)

7. Having background programs running. (This eats up a ton of memory even if they aren't being used. Also M&B gets real anal when you alt + tab out of the game and typically crashes)

8. Having Anti-Aliasing on anything other than off/none. (For a game with graphics like M&B's this doesn't really do anything anyways, but your PC thinks it does and will still use massive amounts of video memory to try and make it work)

9. Having Edit mode selected in the advanced settings. (Only use this for debugging and never for actually playing the game)

10. You installed the mod incorrectly and screwed something up. (It happens sometimes, deal with it)


Potential Fixes

1. Battlesizer to 100 or less. (Will help performance and CTD's)

2. Video settings to "Low". (Will help performance)

3. Using Direct X7. (Looks crappy but helps low end PC's alot)

4. Use the "Start Windowed" option in settings with 800x600 resolution. (Will help performance)

5. Set max frame rate to 80. (The human eye can only see 60 fps tops anyways, and that's with perfect vision. Having it set to a high number just because your PC can do it isn't always a good idea)

6. Completely uninstall M&B and delete all files/registry files and do a fresh install. (Sometimes files become corrupted for whatever reason)

7. Turn off your networking and anti virus when you play the game, if you're using a hardcord for your networking unplug it from your PC just incase. (This will free up memory, which the game uses a ton of)


This is what I've experimented with during my time playing M&B. I personally use a 3ghz dual core, 4 gigs of ram, 2257mb video memory, and windows 7 64-bit. I never CTD, I don't lag in the battle maps with max settings and 250 battlesizer, and I have slight stutter on the World Map.

No matter how good your PC is, you will get stutter/lag on the World Map. This is due to the game's engine processing so many scripts constantly, and there is nothing you or Othr can do to fix that minus removing alot of ****.

If you are getting errors that show up with the red text, go into the notes and screen shot it then place it on the bugs board. More than likely it's an error in your installation because I have yet to see another one since this last patch.

If you get a CTD and it gives a pop-up with what caused it to crash take a screen shot of that and place it on the bugs board.

If you haven't bothered to read this far and just spam the board I'll ask Othr to just delete your post and your questions will just be ignored. As new problems/fixes are found I'll add them to the list and let you all know it's been updated.
 

SirAndre

Knight at Arms
i did all of that (except the resolution n direct x)and keep having runtime error..
I think i have a pretty good computer

AMD Phenom II X4 945
4GB RAM
9800GT
Window 7
 

ntb_15

Sergeant Knight
Try re-installing the mod or the game,
Try defraging your partition/HD

If you have a knowledge about PC hardware, run a harddisk error check software like seatools and run it during boottime using cd, this cleans up all the bad sectors and repairs errors that the recovery console chkdsk function cant, but do this only if you are an advanced user
 

Kinsume

Knight
WB
Arszi said:
"Force single threading' is must have, like the "load textures on demand"?

Read what I wrote in the ( ) if it applies to you then it'll help. If not then it'll do nothing. Basically a dual and quad core computer spreads out the tasks among the cores, in turn making it so that one doesn't have to do all the work. Sometimes this is beneficial to the PC however Windows is retarded and unevenly distributes the work. So by forcing single threading you make the PC only use one of the cores until it is tasked to capacity and then it moves on to the next one.

SirAndre said:
i did all of that (except the resolution n direct x)and keep having runtime error..
I think i have a pretty good computer

AMD Phenom II X4 945
4GB RAM
9800GT
Window 7

A runtime error is most likely a background program screwing up the game or a faulty installation/registry. I suggest closing all unnecessary background programs and seeing if you still get the runtime error. If you do, go and uninstall the game and make sure the registry for the game is cleared as well. A program called reg cleaner does this quite nicely, I don't suggest going into the registry and deleting things unless you know what you're doing. Once that's done, do a fresh install and you should be good to go.
 

SirAndre

Knight at Arms
Thanks Kinsume & ntb_15

I have try cleaning my registry with Frontline Registry Cleaner, reinstall, make my performance into 105% by setting ragdoll 0 no antialiasing, using force single threading, and defrag my drive.. I still keep getting the same error..  :lol:
 

Folkzweise

Knight
i have set Texture details to 50% and no corpse and ragdoll, deactivated all the checkboxes at the bottom so no shadows and my game doesn't crash anymore.battlesize is 300  :cool:. btw i crash when checking force single threading.

i have a duo t5900 with a geforce 9650gt and 2gb ram in my laptop running windows 7 32bit

Edit: i use these settings only while playing 1257 AD. Native runs in better quality but still doesn't look quite as good  :mrgreen:
 

Rayden440

Recruit
Someone please help me, I have this problem when I travel on the map it lags really bad. Usually I get 120 fps when I am on the world map but with this mod it is  lagging really bad (the fps keep swinging up and down) and when I wait in the tavern at town the fps go as low as 5-10. I think my computer is good because I just got it like 3 weeks ago. The battles are good as I get like 50-60 fps but when I'm on the map I start to lag.

Here's my specs:

AMD Phenom II X2 545, 3000 Mhz, 2 Cores
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5700
Windows 7
 

ntb_15

Sergeant Knight
Rayden440 said:
Someone please help me, I have this problem when I travel on the map it lags really bad. Usually I get 120 fps when I am on the world map but with this mod it is  lagging really bad (the fps keep swinging up and down) and when I wait in the tavern at town the fps go as low as 5-10. I think my computer is good because I just got it like 3 weeks ago. The battles are good as I get like 50-60 fps but when I'm on the map I start to lag.

Here's my specs:

AMD Phenom II X2 545, 3000 Mhz, 2 Cores
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5700
Windows 7

Atleast read the First Post before posting

Kinsume said:
No matter how good your PC is, you will get stutter/lag on the World Map. This is due to the game's engine processing so many scripts constantly, and there is nothing you or Othr can do to fix that minus removing alot of ****.
 

ntb_15

Sergeant Knight
SirAndre said:
Thanks Kinsume & ntb_15

I have try cleaning my registry with Frontline Registry Cleaner, reinstall, make my performance into 105% by setting ragdoll 0 no antialiasing, using force single threading, and defrag my drive.. I still keep getting the same error..  :lol:

Then it might be due to any conflict with any of the backgroung process running, try disabling all unnecesary softwares like anitvirus, firewall etc
Which OS are you running?
 

Kinsume

Knight
WB
ntb_15 said:
SirAndre said:
Thanks Kinsume & ntb_15

I have try cleaning my registry with Frontline Registry Cleaner, reinstall, make my performance into 105% by setting ragdoll 0 no antialiasing, using force single threading, and defrag my drive.. I still keep getting the same error..  :lol:

Then it might be due to any conflict with any of the backgroung process running, try disabling all unnecesary softwares like anitvirus, firewall etc
Which OS are you running?

He's already said Windows 7 in his original post. Take a screen shot of the error and post it on here.
 

OldGreyBeard

Knight at Arms
WBWF&SVC
Kinsume said:
Take a screen shot of the error and post it on here.

Maybe you should say it like this:
:!: Take a screen shot of the error and post it on here. :!:

:!: Take a screen shot of the error and post it on here. :!:

:!: Take a screen shot of the error and post it on here. :!:

:!: Take a screen shot of the error and post it on here. :!:

:twisted:
 

tryteyker

Recruit
I really need help :/
I activated "Force Single Threading", max. FPS 80 and the other stuff, but my PC still FREEZE after 30 minutes.I can't use Alt + Tab or Taskmanager to kill Warband.

I have a AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core Processor, 2.30 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
8 GB RAM
Windows Vista 64 bit

Can someone help me please? :/

//edit: Now I got a RGL error.
 

Arszi

Knight
Tap alt+f4 until Warband disappear. About the cause of your freezing I don't have any idea, sry.
 

ntb_15

Sergeant Knight
tryteyker said:
I really need help :/
I activated "Force Single Threading", max. FPS 80 and the other stuff, but my PC still FREEZE after 30 minutes.I can't use Alt + Tab or Taskmanager to kill Warband.

I have a AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core Processor, 2.30 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
8 GB RAM
Windows Vista 64 bit

Can someone help me please? :/

//edit: Now I got a RGL error.

Is it always after 30 min? Check if it happens with other games
 
Kinsume said:
Potential Fixes

4. Use the "Start Windowed" option in settings with 800x600 resolution. (Will help performance)

6. Completely uninstall M&B and delete all files/registry files and do a fresh install. (Sometimes files become corrupted for whatever reason)

7. Turn off your networking and anti virus when you play the game, if you're using a hardcord for your networking unplug it from your PC just incase. (This will free up memory, which the game uses a ton of)
good summary, but I'd like to add something to your fixes.

to Fix 4: while a low resolution of course speeds the game up, you should not run it in windowed mode on slow computers, because than the user interface from your operating system (e.g. Windows) will need additional memory. (Although you might also disable that in the compatibility properties in vista)

to Fix 6: good idea, if one can't figure out the problem, but I'd suggest to anyone doing this to double check your hard-drive and your physical memory, to really find a solution for the 'files just becoming corrupt'-problem.

to Fix 7: not a good idea at all, while turning off the network, especially under windows vista, does give you some processing power back, you should never deactivate your antivir program, even when offline (infected files can, under some circumstances, activate themselves).. also the average antivir program does use like 1,5Kb of your memory and 0,0% of your CPU and is therefor not worth the risk. Stick to all the other great tipps of Kinsume, but this one I would suggest barely to follow for testing purposes, not for normal playing.


Another hint if you are experiencing problems... not only check to set the game graphics to low, but also check that your graphic driver is setup properly, by standard most drivers like the NVIDIA driver, the AMD driver or Catalyst and Omega driver tend to enhance your graphic if not told different.


Also, check if their are problems with any USB-devices... those things are tricky... my C-Media headset for example slowed down L4D from 60FPS to unplayable 0.5 FPS. At least check this, if you have a decent enough PC and the performance is nearly not influenced by any graphic settings. In this case you also should check the temperature of your graphic card and CPU...



oh.. and something in general before i forget it: If you are experiencing crashes in many games, check your hardware... e.g. my old 9800GT was made by a crap party and caused errors in most 3D-games, while the same 9800GT i bought some weeks later assembled by asus still works today.


edit: if you are experienced, you can also mess with deactivating several microsoft services.

I'm running with a E6750 dual core, Geforce 9800GT 1GB, Vista 64bit, intel p31 mb, 4gb ddr2 ram, no problems at all yet
 
tryteyker said:
I really need help :/
I activated "Force Single Threading", max. FPS 80 and the other stuff, but my PC still FREEZE after 30 minutes.I can't use Alt + Tab or Taskmanager to kill Warband.

I have a AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core Processor, 2.30 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
8 GB RAM
Windows Vista 64 bit

Can someone help me please? :/

//edit: Now I got a RGL error.


sry for double post, but i fear tryteyker might not read the other one, as i did not quote him directly.

Freezing after 30 minutes playing without problems sounds about 99% like a temperature problem to me, check this in your bios after you restart, under the menu "health" or something...

oh and don't touch it to check the temperature... some graphic cards can handle about 120°C before freezing, tried it once  :twisted:
 

tryteyker

Recruit
I tried it again,

and now I played for a hour without problems (but I pressed Alt + F4 twice .. Without saving before :/)
It seems to work fine now, and no, it doesn't happen with other games.
 

Kinsume

Knight
WB
tryteyker said:
I tried it again,

and now I played for a hour without problems (but I pressed Alt + F4 twice .. Without saving before :/)
It seems to work fine now, and no, it doesn't happen with other games.

It could be an over-heating problem if your PC case doesn't have enough fans/cooling. AMD processors are known to run very hot. Mine runs fine because my PC case has 8 fans on it keeping it cooled down, however it's a custom made case. Most only have 2 or 3 fans and thats not near enough to keep an AMD processor cooled down.
 
Top Bottom