Kneeling

Users who are viewing this thread

Kneeling, I know crouching has been suggested before but this is different.  Kneeling would help in several ways, first it could add some more interactive things to becoming a noble, the king/khan would ask you to kneel, you would then kneel, and so on.  It would also add another tactic to battles.  Some formations that I have thought of that would utilize kneeling.
A line a pike men kneeling with crossbowmen behind them, very useful against cavalry.
A line of men with shields, kneeling with their shields up, and then men behind them, this is to counter against horse archers, or just archers.
A double line of crossbowmen, front line kneeling, second one standing, like Line infantry, or even more like line infantry, fire by rank. (the first line fires, then kneels, the next line fires, then kneels etc)
There are many other uses that kneeling could be used for.
How it would work in game would be so, when you kneel, you cannot walk, to get up you would press the jump button to stand up. There would be a 1.5 or 2.0 second delay, between kneeling and getting back up, maybe the more encumbered you are the longer it is.  While kneeling you can only turn 160 degrees, this would make it so you can easily be flanked, but you can’t still defend yourself from the sides.  Note, I have knelt and tested this and I was able to move my pike, from side to side, easily and as fast as I could move the pike while standing.  This would add some more to tactics, team work, and would work for both SP and MP; in SP it would be added as a command.  As to what the button would be used for while mounted, rearing, this would also make rearing easier.

I like the idea of kneeling, for both battle and roleplay reasons, although it may be slightly out of place in M&B given that it is so basic in the RPG department. In battle, the restrictions you place on it are sensible and would allow more realistic formations, but I doubt the AI could be made to do this well. Unless more complex formations are added, and they only have a kneeling front line when there are a minimum number of troops in the formation. But I think kneeling may be best kept in multiplayer battles only.

I can see it being useful to make yourself a smaller, albeit stationary, target, and allies could fight with spears over your head. It could also be good for crossbowmen, for example, to hide behind low walls temporarily. Nice suggestion.

Crouching/kneeling would be really hard to do with a heavy armor. ( during fights ) But it would be cool for RP.

I 2 agree with it.
Nice pikeman kneeling with the pikes braced, enemy cavalry charging in...MWHUHAHAHA.
Yup good idea.

About armour, its lighter then what modern soldiers today are wearing.

And kneeling is more for awaiting an charge while hopefully having an couched pike to add with it.

You're not excatly right Phalanx, the armor of mediaval knight was heavier, but the complete package that modern soldiers have to carry is heavier.
But the point is clear...

That is great, Carcanken is right, with this you can easily place your infantry kneeling in front of your archers, and when you say charge, they get up and... charge!

Yep, that's a good point, and i think there would be other uses similar to it that kneeling could provide.
I am a big supporter of formation combat, and i think kneeling would help out a bunch.

when you mean somersault you mean like a roll right not the flying in the air one right? but then again i never done one with armor before ahha

Make it like world of warcraft, chatcommands such as "/kneel, /clap, /dance, /sit" and you have it all done :smile:

Back
Top Bottom