Kings Bounty platinum or the Witcher Enhanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

I have seen 2 class deals this weekend on gamersgate and gamesplanet.

One is for Kings Bounty Platinum which is for the first game and the second game with the expansion (£7.49). The other is for The Witcher Enhanced edition (£6.49).

Has anyone played both games, which one would you recommend? I am a big HoMM fan and also a fan of RPG's so both games appeal.

I found KB rather boring, actually. I mean, it's all solid--gameplay, strategy, etc... I just never engaged me in any way.

Witcher was pretty good.

Archonsod said:
Yep. And they even let you pretend to be in the US to take advantage of their currency :lol:

Cool, what do you mean by pretend? Can't they tell you are from the UK by the card you pay it on or where the download goes to? If I can get the witcher for $4.99, which is £3.00 I may get both deals. I love how cheap PC games can be compared to PS3 games.

Hey, don't beat up on our dollar. One of these days.... Then again, has the dollar ever been stronger than the pound? During the Post-War period in Europe maybe?

If you get King's Bounty, don't play as a Mage. Not unless you play on the easier difficulty levels. If you play on the highest, I hope you enjoy a lot of tedious battles and abuse of the Resurrection spell. Warriors and Paladins are better, because of the ****ed up formula they used to decide army size (ie, it's way too low for Mages, so by the endgame every single battle is horrendously unbalanced). Plus, any class can learn spells, mages just have the advantage of being able to doublecast and max out spell-casting early on. By the end of the game you can turn any Paladin or Warrior into an excellent spellcaster, too.

Trust me, you might think you'd enjoy the challenge of playing a Mage on Impossible, but you wont. I got basically to the end of the game and lost all interest in finishing once I realized how much grinding I'd have to do to beat any further enemies (not to mention replace my army after every battle).

Also, the pet dragon is your friend. Your best friend. Level it up before almost anything else.

Mage246 said:
ie, it's way too low for Mages, so by the endgame every single battle is horrendously unbalanced
By the endgame a mage should be able to fabricate an entire army from virtually nothing. It's only an issue if you've focused on damage spells rather than battlefield control. In fact the end game is actually easier; you can take your casualties on the stacks that vanish at the end of combat, warriors and paladins on the other hand have to watch their attrition.

Archonsod said:
Mage246 said:
ie, it's way too low for Mages, so by the endgame every single battle is horrendously unbalanced
By the endgame a mage should be able to fabricate an entire army from virtually nothing. It's only an issue if you've focused on damage spells rather than battlefield control. In fact the end game is actually easier; you can take your casualties on the stacks that vanish at the end of combat, warriors and paladins on the other hand have to watch their attrition.

Direct damage spells are useless by the endgame; stop assuming you know my strategy. The issue is that, in certain battles, the enemy is strong and fast enough (and can cast spells like Dispel) that you can't cast spells often enough to keep up with their damage. Plus, you run out of mana very quickly (even after stuffing your inventory full of +mana items). Once your mana empties, you're screwed (yes I used all kinds of methods for rapid mana regeneration, but those all take time you don't have).

In one battle in particular (the orcish god battle), the enemy is a powerful spellcaster with a larger army (with each individual stack being practically an army-killer on its own). If you cast summon spells, he will take them down immediately. If you try to use battlefield control spells to keep his units locked down and at range, he will use teleport and his own ranged attacks. The only real option is to kill his forces quicker than he can kill yours, and that requires a much larger army than a mage can assemble (even after leveling up much higher than him). Once you've whittled his forces down to a manageable level, you have options for resurrecting your army, battlefield control, and otherwise mitigating losses.

Plus, any warrior can learn summon, phantom, etc. By the endgame, your dragon abilities are as strong or stronger than any attack, and you can use them almost every turn as well as cast spells. By the end, it's actually a good tradeoff to be able to cast one less spell per turn than a mage but use your dragon abilities more often.

I suspect you didn't play a Mage on Impossible.

Thanks for the advise, I ended up getting both thanks to Archonsod's nod towards GoG. I have decided to play King's Bounty, the legend first although gamersgate is currently telling me it will take an age to download 2.2 gb's  :???:

Back
Top Bottom