Kingdoms dragging in hostile lords to fill depleting clan rosters... A really terrible gameplay mechanic

Users who are viewing this thread

Saturn666

Recruit
I've been playing for quite a few hours now on the same save, perhaps 50 hours at this point, and today I made a pretty horrible discovery, though it requires a bit of context before I go into detail about the issue itself:

So, I've been playing as a terrible kind of warlord who executes any enemy of my kingdom of the Southern Empire, and throughout my playthrough I've been especially viscious in wiping out Aserai clans, one by one, hoping to cripple their kingdom to the point where taking over their territory would be easy-peasy.

Now here comes the big issue:

After wiping out clan after clan, even the rightful ruler (and his heirs) of the Aserai kingdom, I noticed something strange. The list of Aserai clans kept growing... and when I started fighting some of these new clans I realised that they aren't just new Aserai clans that have formed out of thin air, no, they're pre-existing clans from other kingdoms that are randomly dragged in to fill out the kingdom's roster. Even hostile kingdoms or lords that are on the other side of the world. I have continually destroyed clan after clan, but they keep dragging more and more clans from other kingdoms, which I'm guessing will persist until there are no more clans left. The worst part was that some of my loyal compatriots of the kingdom I've chosen to serve are then dragged into the crumbling ruins of the Aserai... along with every single fief they own... many of which are fiefs they've won in elections after I spent hours laying the groundwork and then subsequently sieged those castles and towns...

I get that betrayal and backstabbing and side-switching, and so on, is a legitimate feature, but this goes far beyond that, especially since my allies with whom I have nearly max reputation with will change side even though they earn nothng from it, and will treat me like an enemy and have dialogue as though they've been long-time allies of their new kingdom, even though they swapped sides less than a day prior.

I find it absolutely ridiculous that such a mechanic would be in place. Granted, my playstyle is pretty extreme, since I'm literally executing any hostile lord I capture, but the fact that the game is designed to drag in lords who have literally no reason to join a failing kingdom, simply to fill up the roster rather than letting the kingdom die out or have peasants / village leaders rise up as makeshift lords or something more imaginative. It's just a really horrible design I think, and I have to wonder if someone went the route of persuading every enemy lord to switch sides, in some kind of high charm setup, whether the game would also drag in other clans to fill up rapidly-depleting kingdoms.

There are a lot of things with this game that are really underdeveloped, broken, or plainly not implemented, but come on, the main feature of this game is surely the whole kingdom vs. kingdom dynamic, and this kind of idiotic system fundamentally undermines the effort players are putting in by abitrarily forcing lords to switch sides to kingdoms that would otherwise go extinct.

There's an upcoming feature to have new lords generated during campaign but it's not available yet, so I guess this is just a thing the game does to make sure there are clans available. I don't think literally murdering the entire nobility of the content is an intended playstyle but it's an edge case the game had to account for, I guess.

Yea.. I just got done advising someone to execute enemy lords to whittle down an enemy kingdom when I realised the same thing is happening to me (kinda).

I'm having my own kingdom and currently at war with battania.. In the process of taking over their entire area untill recently I thought I was actually successful in executing every last of their lords since fewer of them were around and I wasn't experiencing sa many attacks on my settlements.

Now I've noticed an increase again, and I've come to realise that they have been recruiting lords from the other side of the world and the reason I was seeing a decrease is because the lords had not yet reached my part of the world...

It really does feel kinda strange that most of battanian lords are not battanian at all

Edge case? Have you met the average gamer ? We literally murder all of the things given the opportunity.
There are many ways to play a sandbox. Not everyone wants to murder people in cold blood. Killing someone on a battlefield is a bit different than killing defenseless captives. The big issue I have is that you can do it to npcs but they can't do it to you. If the game was set up with 1 auto save per character (so no save scumming) and the pc could be killed too then I'd be all for people being murderous psychos. There are hardly any repercussions from playing this way.

There are many ways to play a sandbox. Not everyone wants to murder people in cold blood. Killing someone on a battlefield is a bit different than killing defenseless captives. The big issue I have is that you can do it to npcs but they can't do it to you. If the game was set up with 1 auto save per character (so no save scumming) and the pc could be killed too then I'd be all for people being murderous psychos. There are hardly any repercussions from playing this way.
I disagree... Basically everyone and their little brother will hate you... Which is fitting. The problem is that if you don't excute the lords you defeat, you may aswell not fight them at all... You can let them go, and they'll be back with the same army in 10 mins, or you can take them as prisoner and have them escape within a few days.

I disagree... Basically everyone and their little brother will hate you... Which is fitting. The problem is that if you don't excute the lords you defeat, you may aswell not fight them at all... You can let them go, and they'll be back with the same army in 10 mins, or you can take them as prisoner and have them escape within a few days.
Because the game is incomplete and there are no checks and balances and escaping lords regenerate new armies far too fast so you feel like it's the "optimal" way to play. But again that's not the way that everyone wants to play.

Because the game is incomplete and there are no checks and balances and escaping lords regenerate new armies far too fast so you feel like it's the "optimal" way to play. But again that's not the way that everyone wants to play.
I'm sorry I should have been clearer. I don't disagree with that's not how everyone wants to play.. it's not how I want to play.. I disagree with the idea that it has no consequences

In an effort to stop snowballing, rather than actually fleshing out half-coded mechanics they decided to just cheese the player with ever-respawning lords, overly-harsh execution penalties, and nonsensical side-switching in order to keep that treadmill going. It was a serious mistake in design and a knee-jerk reaction to people complaining about snowballing. Enjoy whatever's in that cake, I guess.

There's an upcoming feature to have new lords generated during campaign but it's not available yet, so I guess this is just a thing the game does to make sure there are clans available. I don't think literally murdering the entire nobility of the content is an intended playstyle but it's an edge case the game had to account for, I guess.
You sure about that? There is such feature?

Bannerlord showing the bad side of people during quarentine.... the Psycho side
I won't try and defend aristocide, but in Bannerlord you get punished for letting lords go, since they can recuperate way too fast, and the downsides to executing lords are pretty limited, especially since you can farm reputation with lords fairly easily, because currency in the game snowballs as soon as you own a couple fiefs and can reliably defeat adversaries in combat. Basically, you can buy reputation with anyone you want, and those lords of your own kingdom who you want to butter up to can be influenced through spending your Influence Points on votes for fiefs and laws that they endorse.

I think that aside from a trader or charm run, executing enemy lords is one of the most efficient playstyles you can do and it doesn't really require any specific setups and despite the issue I highlighted in this thread, these infinitely-refilling kingdoms are severely atrophied and unable to really do much, aside from occassionally stealing allied lords.

This happens if you don't execute them as well. I've executed no one is a long campaign and a lot of lords just move to whichever kingdom has fiefs to give.

Killing lord after lord in current state of the game is literally unbalancing the game that is already unbalanced as hell.

They plan on replacement lords (probably other clan members taking the place of killed ones generated when they lack some) so killing will do nothing except relations drop.

Unfortunately we need to wait until they fix the pace at which lords are coming back. The thing that is good and bad at the same time is that lords in next updates will have better armies and when they start returning after loosing they will drain You kingdom power time after time.

I havent executed anyone in my game yet and its going fine. The times i imprisioned lords they stood a reasonable time into prision too. In any case, remember, the game is earlie access and we agreed to play without all its full features enabled, including this. In any case, while murdering everyone sounds like the "most efficient way to play".. you dont always have to go the most efficient way.

Back
Top Bottom