Votes: 31 26.1%
  • Robohemia!

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • Hobohemia.

Votes: 38 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Picked this game up on sale and played through maybe 75% of it a while back. First thing I encountered after the tutorial bit was a massacred group of knights in the forest. Equipped the plate armour+weapon and proceeded to clinch my way through the rest of the game.

I tend to have that issue with story driven rpg's. Get high level gear real quick, breeze through the game until the end, forget that now I can get the real high level stuff and get stuck because my gear was so good through most of the game I never really learned how to play  :facepalm: :iamamoron:

I spent a while practicing the combat, but eventually learned that: Enemies can and will perfect parry you, which cannot be avoided. But a clinch cannot be lost if you have the strength nor can it be countered in any way. That really killed any interest I had in becoming proficient at the combat.

Scully said:
I spent a while practicing the combat, but eventually learned that: Enemies can and will perfect parry you, which cannot be avoided. But a clinch cannot be lost if you have the strength nor can it be countered in any way. That really killed any interest I had in becoming proficient at the combat.

I saw this guy being pretty decent in combat:
https://youtu.be/4ROImG697oE?t=457

There sure seem to be some unpredictable elements, but it looks manageable.

The Bowman said:
Scully said:

I saw this guy being pretty decent in combat:
https://youtu.be/4ROImG697oE?t=457

There sure seem to be some unpredictable elements, but it looks manageable.
That dude's just fishing for master strikes, which isn't a viable tactic until you've pumped your skills up. He's very passive and waits for the AI to attack, which is a boring way to play. If you want to be pro-active, then you have to learn the combo system and clinch. Break your opponent's defense with a clinch, then throw a short combo at them. After the clinch you should always land your first hit, and unless there's a high stat mismatch they should only block your second attack. After that, the final attack in a combo is always unblockable. Certain combos are also really nice for triggering perks like head cracker.

Ugh... This game is now available with Xbox game pass for PC (or Xbox GP Ultimate).

Heck yes.

Since the release of the Xbox GP Ultimate, I have saved over $150 on games and only paid $1 for membership until July 2020!

If you think the AI master strikes too much, or you're tired of winning by clinching or waiting for master strike, try my combat tweaks: https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/651

Fighting any more than two enemies t once is pretty difficult. They'll surround you and wait til you're hit, then just go ham and suddenly you're dead. It's quite frustrating at times, but it also keeps me coming back because I know if I do it right I can win lol

Yeah when you're against two or three enemies, it quickly goes from countering stances and timing attacks to just wrestling with the weird orbiting lock-on camera and trying to keep all of your opponents ahead of you and preferably in a single file.

Bluehawk Classic said:
Yeah when you're against two or three enemies, it quickly goes from countering stances and timing attacks to just wrestling with the weird orbiting lock-on camera and trying to keep all of your opponents ahead of you and preferably in a single file.
As in Warband  :grin: Reminds me when training peasants and having to deal with three of them with a staff ^^
(and with no skill)

I would have loved to have the same freedom during fight in KCD as we have in Warband !

In real combat, constantly herding your opponents in a way so they are all in front of you and preferably only one can attack you at any time is the way to survive a melee against multiple opponents. That, or running very fast.

Scully said:
Are enemies equally aggressive when fighting in groups or less so in fear of striking their allies. Could be a cluster**** if they go full aggro.

With my mod compilation they'll be very aggressive also in big groups unlike in Vanilla where they tend to just circle you and attack one at a time.

Captured Joe said:
Sounds quite realistic tbh, it should be very difficult to win from two enemies fighting you at once.
BenKenobi said:
Yea, but KDC fighting more enemies is difficult primarily because the fight system is not built for it at all.

Both of these statements are true. Though there are ways to make fighting multiple enemies easier and more dynamic despite the duel-focused combat system.

From the modding forums:
How do you fight against group of 2 or more?

That's a good question. I used to play with a version that simply disabled the increased attack delay per enemy, but I found that I would probably have to tune it down a bit for it to appeal to other players. The settings that we have now are pretty drastic compared to default anyway, so I guess I'll have to explain.

First of all, if you are unskilled (character and/or player) or not well armoured, fighting against more than two opponents is folly. Just run to your horse and try to get away... fight another day.

If you are skilled and well armoured however, there are a few recommendations I can offer (but again, facing more than three would be folly unless they are unarmoured thugs):
- Keep enemy archers directly behind the other enemies facing you, as far as possible; that'll make them less likely to shoot you, and may sometimes result in friendly fire.
- Don't get surrounded (turning up your FOV in the settings will help you with peripheral vision), try to move in a way that keeps all your enemies in front of you.
- Wait for one of the enemies to attack, block that, then switch opponent and stab at the other guy (when the AI has attacked they will almost inevitably have a few seconds delay, meaning you can have a couple of exchanges with one of the other enemies in the meantime - don't push your luck though).
- Focus on one at a time if you can (e.g. the one with the least armour), if you manage to take out one, you'll have a much easier time.
- Probing with the stab (preferably aimed at unarmoured areas) when you have the opportunity is probably your best chance to land a hit, but be ready to backpedal or perfect block.
- An effective and reliable way to switch opponent is essential. I personally recommend binding the "Unlock target" key to something that you can easily access and use while in combat (I use L Alt). Holding this down allows you to point towards the target that you want to switch to, then release the button to lock on. You can also use this quickly to get a look at your flanks, just make sure you lock on before an enemy attacks, otherwise you'll be unable to block.
- Also note that you don't have to be locked unto the target that's attacking you to block his attacks. If you're locked on the guy next to him, you can still press the block key at the correct time to switch automatically to the attacker and block the incoming attack. Keep a constant overview of your opponents' movements, and don't lose visual. If two enemies attack at the same time, you will often be able to block both if you block one of them.

So how does this compare to The Witcher 3? Is the writing and questing good too with multiple solutions to one quest? Are the characters interesting? Or can I expect something crap like Skyrim with its bad story/writing and repetitive linear questing?

Back
Top Bottom