Votes: 31 26.1%
  • Robohemia!

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • Hobohemia.

Votes: 38 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Not so many bugs anymore, the only real issue left is optimisation. It requires a serious rig to run smoothly, especially in crowded areas.

Also, the author of this seems familiar...

PS. If you're not too worried about spoilers, Gopher's Let's Play is quite entertaining (and painful when he fails at the most basic tasks...):

ᚦorkell said:
It requires a serious rig to run smoothly, especially in crowded areas.
Yeah, I struggled with it at release, and I have a pretty expensive tower (at time of purchase anyhow). Had to turn down so many settings, and it still ran like slop. Unsure how it is these days, as I lost interest in it. Just wasn't what I was looking for, sadly. Combat looked good, but after reading how boring and disappointing it is overall (by people who generally have the same opinions as myself), I decided not to bother playing anymore.

Unless they've reworked it, combat almost feels like Morrowind at times. You swing at the guy, you think you'll hit him, but depending on his arbitrary skill level he may expertly riposte and counter-attack you. If your stats (not your skill as a player, but your stats) are too low, then this could happen on almost every single attack against certain NPCs. Anyone who makes it past the intro sequence can find & spar with Captain Bernard at just about any time of day, and if they choose to freely spar with him (i.e. not the tutorial sparring sessions) then new players will be able to experience this special brand of frustration at its worst. You just can't hit the guy because his character sheet has bigger numbers than yours.

As your stats improve, the counter-attacks become less frequent and are mostly replaced by parries which (IIRC, it's been a while) interrupt your attack but don't result in you taking a hit. This is still quite annoying, though, because your most reliable method of dealing damage against high-skill NPCs is with the final strike of combo attacks because they are unblockable. However, you can't reach the final strike if your attack sequence is interrupted, and they'll likely block all of your preceding blows before parrying. Eventually, your stats reach a point where you're basically a Jedi and no amount of defensive ability will save your opponents from your swings. It's rather odd, actually, that by the end of the game many enemies simply can't block your attacks. You can freely run up to them and spam them to death, typically killing them in one or two swings. Only enemies in the main quest sequence will still be pumped high enough to offer anything resembling a challenge by then.

If you go in expecting this RPG-style character progression, then it's fine. I particularly liked the mid-game, where some enemies were tough, others were fairly easy, but no fight felt like a death sentence or cakewalk. The main story quests were putting me up against enemies that were on the tough side, but the challenge made those quests feel more significant. The beginning of the game wasn't so bad as it does a fairly decent job guiding you around to appropriate challenges, but as is the nature of an open world game you can quite easily wander away from the guiding hand and get your ass beat. The restrictive saving system further discourages you from taking risks like that, which does hurt the game IMO.

Long story short, the combat would feel much better if the game were linear.

All of those concerns are valid, but not quite as much so as when the game was first released; they did tweak the increase in damage you gain from levelling for example, and many of the other issues are fixed by mods.

I linked to my own compilation above, and one of its main purposes is to improve combat (especially to tone down the exponential progression and make player skill as opposed to character skill more important). The "riposte/counter-attack" (proper term in the game is "master strike"), the one that is unblockable, has been severely limited, only triggering very rarely and being very hard to perform for the Player. It's triggered by the same mechanic as the "perfect block", but with a shorter window to press the block button. Without the mod, when you're high level, you perform this all the time when blocking, even against high level opponents. With the mod, it's extremely unlikely to trigger when you're fighting a skilled opponent, and still pretty unlikely against lower proficiency enemies. In addition the extremely OP clinch has been modified to be much harder to abuse, so you now actually have to tire your enemy down before you can win one (and get a free hit, again making it easier to attack or repeat the clinch-hit-spam). You now have to use combos to get past a good defence; the master strikes of your opponents have been toned down, but the probability for dodges and perfect blocks has been increased, so you won't be able to land every combo that you start, which would've made the game way too easy. It's more likely they'll either dodge one of your attacks (in which case you're fine, since you can just restart your combo) or they perfect block you (in which case you'll have to perfect block a potential return blow, and perhaps go through two or three exchanges before one of you either cancel the attack or get hit). All in all, it makes for a much more player skill based experience.

You still need to spar with Bernard in the beginning, firstly to gain the more advanced techniques (perfect block, master strike, and combos), and secondly to gain just a few levels to get your attack speed and defensive capabilities up a bit.

As for the saving, again there are mods out there if you're so inclined.

The next DLC "Band of Bastards" which appears to be a continuation of the main story is set to be released soon, before the end of this year, at least according to the plan they presented in May. They've been keeping any information behind locked doors it though, so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

But I suppose, if you haven't finished the main quest yet, it wouldn't hurt to start a new game before the coming DLC.

ᚦorkell said:
The next DLC "Band of Bastards" which appears to be a continuation of the main story is set to be released soon, before the end of this year, at least according to the plan they presented in May. They've been keeping any information behind locked doors it though, so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

But I suppose, if you haven't finished the main quest yet, it wouldn't hurt to start a new game before the coming DLC.
I did complete the main quest, though I shot myself in the foot entertainment-wise by over-training with Bernard at the beginning. By the time I finally wandered out into the open world, I had mid-level sword skill and good strength+agility (or whatever they called the agility-like stat). I also got a little lost while investigating a horse farm for the main quest, and stumbled upon an abandoned camp at the side of the road leading off the map nearby. Y'know, the camp with the chest that has a full assortment of end-game weapons and armor in it. :roll: There were two weapons in there I couldn't equip when I found them (they required 14 strength or something like that), and I didn't want to totally ruin my game so I ended up selling everything from the chest except for a longsword. That bump in cash still snowballed my finances pretty hard, and by mid-game I was rolling around with tens of thousands of groshen.

Most of my cash came from a bug, though I didn't know it at the time. Roe deer meat & kidney IDs were swapped, so you could harvest a single deer and get a dozen or more kidneys without any of the offal-gathering perks. Roe deer kidneys were also the single most valuable animal product you could get, and I would wander out of the forest with hundreds of them which I mostly gave to Andrew the innkeeper for free. The more goods he had on hand, the more money he'd have a few days later when his inventory is updated. If he had 20,000 groshen worth of kidneys in his inventory, then when you checked him a few days later he wouldn't have any kidneys but he would have 20,000 groshen. Then you could properly sell him a new load of kidneys. :lol:

Before main quests, I pretty much completed all the side quests and explored the map like crazy. Side quests don't pay much but the equipments of the bandits you killed in their sleep pay a lot. Even one time, I played three hours without saving while wandering. A bloody bandit killed me. All the equipment on my horse was gone like that. I bought finest gears for both stealth and fighter gameplay style. Now, I have 150k grochen and don't know where to spent it. Yeah, I overdid it.

I am still at the quest of Talmberg siege.

Kickstarted the game, its now in my steam library and I have never even installed it.

Friend used library sharing and completed it tho, so thats value for my money, I guess?

I dont know, for some reason dont feel excited for it...like for most games after they are out.

anyway, thanks to BenKenobi in february 2014, I can never see another pre-modern world country road without being annoyed at the grass in the middle.
It has not left my mind even after 4 years.

Now every time I see a Read Dead Redemtion 2 video....I see the dense grass in the middle of the road and think about their obviously anti-gravity hovering horse carriages.

Boy, have I got a Kickstarter for you!
6XVUO.jpg

The two-tracks-is-a-modern-thing idea stems from a lindybeige video where he makes massive assumptions based on his modern idea of how roads work. There are photographs of dirt roads from before cars were even invented where you see this kind of thing, with two tracks being worn down more than the rest. You also see it in paintings sometimes.

third_st_from_broadway_to_nevada_ca1891.jpeg
rd25.jpg
TEBLH2.jpg

Unless the road is extremely wide and everyone swerves about all over the place, roads used by carts are going to get worn similarly to how modern dirt paths are. What's more you even see this in some heavily used pedestrian paths where people going in opposite directions tend to stand on one side.

Yeah, I feel like Lindybeige has blown this 'hIstoRicAl aCcuRacCy' thing way out of proportion with the dirt roads. Actually gets kind of cringey when you look at his videos analyzing movies and he's making fun of not even roads that have been driven on, but are very obviously used for mostly walking and carts.

Some of his worst and most misinformative videos are built around the idea that you can just brute-force common sense logic your way to the answer when doing history. He made a similarly terrible video where he claims that towns in medieval Britain had no nearby natural forests because they were all cultivated or coppiced. He ignores all the clear evidence to the contrary just because he likes the thrill of the whole "thing you assumed/liked was WRONG!!!1!" thing that guardian readers jack off to. It also doesn't help that he's just a modern middle class larper and thinks this equates to front line experience in the battlefield. The cavalry sabre video and the overarm spear video are some of the worst, but he's surely made even worse ones since then.

Back
Top Bottom