Killing units pushing siege weapons should slow it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hawkze94

Recruit
Correct me if I'm wrong but the speed of a ram or siege tower is not hindered by killing the crew that is pushing it. I feel like this is a minor easy fix that gives the player more agency in defending against a siege. Could also open the door for siege commands but that is a bit bigger of a request and I know the developers plate is still overflowing with things to do, but it would be nice for siege specific commands like 'target siege crew' or something.

Definitely would make a lot of sense.
We also need a "stop our artillery throwing rocks directly at our own siege weapons" command... artillery targets the units on the walls even when the tower has reached them.

I really really hope sieges are being overhauled. They are just a mess.
Siege towers need to be redesigned. Even if they were working as intended with the current design there would be no benefit in building siege towers rather than just using ladders. Ladders would still be better actually since they can't be destroyed.

They should just replace killed men.

What actually needs to happen is - fire arrows. Ability to burn down siege equipment if you have enough archers and have invested into fire arrow tech (doesnt exist at the moment).

They should just replace killed men.

What actually needs to happen is - fire arrows. Ability to burn down siege equipment if you have enough archers and have invested into fire arrow tech (doesnt exist at the moment).
They are replaced when they are killed but there is zero difference in speed when there is only one man left pushing.

They are replaced when they are killed but there is zero difference in speed when there is only one man left pushing.

Speed should be proportional to the amount of men pushing IMO and maybe there should be a minimum number of men to get the whole siege machine moving.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the speed of a ram or siege tower is not hindered by killing the crew that is pushing it. I feel like this is a minor easy fix that gives the player more agency in defending against a siege. Could also open the door for siege commands but that is a bit bigger of a request and I know the developers plate is still overflowing with things to do, but it would be nice for siege specific commands like 'target siege crew' or something.
That's how it should work for sure. I'd say that its odd that this hasn't come up before, but then going by the other thread about how few players ever play siege defense battles because of the high breaking in penalty, I bet nobody even noticed it until now. *edit. That's dumb. You'd be able to notice it on offensive sieges too. But then again, since you're not actively trying to stop it on offense, it would be easy to miss the fact that it doesn't slow down

i just ignored it because i focus more on the super intelligent AI ?

yes, it makes abolutley sense and shouldnt be big issue to implement

Siege towers need to be redesigned. Even if they were working as intended with the current design there would be no benefit in building siege towers rather than just using ladders. Ladders would still be better actually since they can't be destroyed.
they should deploy ladders along with the siege towers, making siege towers more useful as well as giving a backup incase the siege towers get destroyed.

Siege engines do slow down proportionally to the number of troops pushing them, but the minimum speed is only 50% as fast as the max speed, so as long as it is being pushed by 1 troop it will still be moving at half speed (but it will stop if no one is pushing).

Combine that with the fact that there's always a large pool of troops standing 15 feet behind the engine ready to immediately replace the fallen troop, and it's not surprising why the speed change isn't really noticeable.

I think as long as the fallen pushers are replaced so quickly, you're never going to be able to slow down a ram or tower meaningfully. To me, it seems more about using their vulnerability to pick off as many troops as you can before they reach the walls, since the troops trailing them are hard targets when they constantly hold up their shields.

Back
Top Bottom