Kickstarter: Rimworld

Users who are viewing this thread

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 182 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

I did not necro it! It's not true! It's bull**** I did not necro it! I did naaaawt...
Oh hi Rabble.

So yeah. Playing this again for the first time in bloody ages. Last time I played, turrets were so wank they couldn't hold off the first raid.

Anyway, had a great colony going but I was really annoyed by some limitation. Like no crafting weapons and armour. Makes no real sense.
Found a wonderful little mod that adds gunpowder weapons to the smithing table (with two attached techs to be researched for better ones) but couldn't find one I liked for armour.

Soooo, the last five hours I've been installing Microsoft Visual Studio (8gigs...) to be able to edit the bloody DLL that came with the weapon crafting mod and been fiddling with the recipes for the armour from a armour crafting mod I didn't like to adjust it all to the standard of the weapon one. Such as time to craft, cost and moving it from their own separate crafting table over to the Smithy. No idea why so many mods just add more and more and more tables instead of adding stuff to existing ones where it makes sense. Especially considering how incredibly useless the Smithy is otherwise. But then I guess prior to Alpha 12 this was a rather arduous process with invisible fake tables and resources and such?

Should be good once done in any case.
Weapons and armour will take ages to be built regardless of how advanced it is. And while the basic stuff is reasonably cheap (steel and cloth for the vest and basic helmet) I'll put in a massive skill limit and resource cost for the power armour stuff. And of course a high level tech that's locked behind various other stuff. Will probably have to make the armour even more expensive than it is now though, 75 Plasteel and a bit of Uranium on top of throwaway stuff like Cloth and Steel still seems a bit cheap. Maybe add gold/silver in a way to account for the "electronics"?

Tempted to add the Rimfire mod as well, because it adds so much more good stuff in terms of weapons but then I'd feel compelled to edit those to be craftable as well to some extent and I really can't be arsed. :razz:

Other mods:
Combat Realism and Combat Realism Defence (not gonna use the advanced turrets they look OP as ****) and a little compatibility patch for one of the other mods.
Community Core Library and Vanilla Tweaks.
Expanded Prosthetics & Organ Engineering (love love love loooove this).
Hospitality (lovely as well, makes those annoying visits worth your while).
RedistHeat adds a bunch of options to deal with heat and cold with a cool pipe system and such and you do not have to make holes in your walls for vents.
EdBInterface (lovely options), PrepareCarefully (embark is more like the DF system, highly recommended) and ModOrder (better interface for the load order of mods)

/edit
And done.
And I finally realised why a new crafting table is of use. The list is ridiculously long when you open the crafting list :lol:
Oh well, I might move all of them to a new crafting table and then ignore the Smithy forever. Which would have the added advantage that it'll lock even the basic stuff behind a research, making it take longer before you have access.

Now that I played a bit I don't see why I should use them at all anyway. Embrasures are the end all way to be overpowered it seems.
Unless it's a siege or a late-game massed raid with plenty of big weapons I don't see how anything is going to crack these defences.

Unfortunately for whatever reason they don't need to do so as half of the ****ing raids are coming down right into my base. I still don't understand if that is just dumb luck and can happen all the time or if it's something with the way I set it up or with how the roof is made (the random distribution of thick and thin and such). Ignoring that there is NO roof it's all natural rock as I burried everything in a mountain.
Apart from the OP as **** embrasures, those are outside with an artificial roof. :lol:

Combat Realism is wonderful though. Deadly as **** for everyone involved.

/edit
Wanna have fun? Make your crafter a complete psychopath.
So far she has created beds (and nothing but beds for some bloody reason...) that show:
Her killing someone "with glee"
Her capturing someone "with excessive force"
My doctor capturing someone "with excessive force"
A burning animal while she herself looks at it
She talking "oppressively" to a later recruit of the outpost

Most of the time there's also groups of accountants in the background and the style is "unbalanced".
No ****? Unbalanced? Who would've thunk it...

It's not as varied as the DF system but pretty fun still.

While I was making decorations for my hospital, my crafter decided to make one large statue of my doctor (who I designed after Pixel...) forcefully anesthetizing one of our colonists who got wounded quite a bit while she was freaking out. Afterwards while I was making statues for the jail, he makes a statue of - wouldn't you know it - Pixel executing a prisoner.

Also, embrasures don't do jack against mechanoids.

I've generated and closely inspected upwards to twenty worlds before taking this one and I have not found a single one with Mechanoid civ on it. :ohdear:
My only experience fighting them comes from a Drone ship and two poison ships.

They love shooting out the livers and kidneys for some reason. Hardly anything else got damaged.

Was getting ready to take on a poison ship part that I had left for way too long when yet another tribal raid spawned.
And they took care of the problem for me :lol:

S7n0aN1.jpg

Also I'm drowning their corpses. This was the fifth raid in any many months. :facepalm:
I just made the third body stockpile as the others were full. And no, no crematory yet. I'm working on that as well but a good place to grow crops all year long was more important.

Big update is out and the game is available on Steam now.
And apparently they went back on their "you must have bought the game before November 2014 to get a Steam key" thing as well. the FAQ says that everyone that owns the game can get a Steam key if they so desire.

Anyway, so I pick it up. Seems fun.

So my first colony is not going well, at all. Only one person is "capable of violence." He had no skill in shooting, but good skill in melee. Well, a slaver band raided my colony. He died from a crossbow bolt, and my brand new colonist was kidnapped.

Only have two people left, and neither can defend the colony. Oh and only one can actually do any physical work.

Got a new colonist. She has some shooting skill.

Five person raid, moments later. She kills one of them. Another one of them dies from friendly fire, but gets incapacitated.

Great. They set fire to my fields, destroyed the wall to my freezer, destroyed my solar panel, and incapacitated another colonist. Though the colonist's dog incapacitated the raider that did it.

So all I have left? A single colonist. As she was treating the two incapacitated colonists, an escape pod crashed. She collected the person and brought them back. As she is treating everyone, she has a mental break and picks a fight with an emu.

And looses.

So everyone is in bed waiting to die. And another raid happens. They take the last person alive.

There's a mod that allows you to fiddle with the skills of all your colonists instead of one.
I know that some folks like it and all, but it's just not for me to start with two guys that refuse to do any (physical) labour. Like no... **** off game.

Of course that means you're going to have to house rule yourself a bit, but that's a given with these kind of games anyway.

A planet close enough to its star that solar flares regularly wipe out all electronics. :razz:

Really, I'd like if we could get something even closer to Crematoria from the Chronicles of Riddick. I want my hellish space prison. With tunnels.

And then it gets cold enough in winter to flash freeze my colonists buttocks.

Oh well, maintaining decent temperature controls is an interesting challenge. Any idea if he's planning on implementing multiple z levels at any point.?

Negative, he's played with the idea and it's of course been suggested umpteen million times, but IIRC Tynan does not believe that the immense amount of work it would take to implement zed levels would equal the enjoyment it would add to the game.

I can understand his logic.

Back
Top Bottom