Kickstarter: Rimworld

Users who are viewing this thread

You have a dirty mind.

Also, the game thus far is excellent, even for being in an Alpha. Though after a while there isn't a whole lot to do, with very little researchable technology that actually does anything. On my second play-through (First colony crashed and burned. Literally. I won't even go in to details with that...) I ended up having my best researcher go on a hunger-strike, then he gave up and wandered the desert forlorn when starvation set in on day 7. As a result, I only had 66% of the manpower I usually had available, and the lack of that manpower is very painful early on.

Thankfully I was favored by the Rimworld Gods and did not suffer any events until after day 30, but they quickly made up for lost time. A traveler started trekking across my map, and I did the only sensible thing a person without sufficient manpower could do: Kidnap them and make them join me. It only took a few days before they decided to join my colony, which put me back at 3 people. Not long afterwards, a group of seven (!!!) pirate raiders landed in the corner of the map and attacked my colony, very nearly destroying it if it weren't for the fact that most of my defense grid was located within my walls. Buggers did at least 1,500 metal worth of damage, though, and killed John, who was an expert shooter and was the other "original" inhabitant of my colony. I managed to incapacitate one of the raiders rather than outright kill them, though, which allowed me to replace him.

The same process has repeated over and over since then, though I'm slowly getting better at repelling the enemies, using their captured weapons and soldiers against them and whatnot, they keep coming with more soldiers and better weapons while I have to live off of their leftovers. Thankfully I've gotten more efficient at it, having super fortified my base (Sandbags are probably the most useful thing ever. Even if you think it's a waste of your hard earned metal. Sandbags. Trust me.) and killing them before they get within range to do sufficient damage. Most of the damage done to my colony now is the result of turrets exploding and lamps short-circuiting in the rain.

Stories aside, I've really enjoyed the game thus far, but the lack of variety (All of the characters are actually predefined, I'm pretty sure) and flavor does become more apparent the further you get in to the game, though it is only an Alpha. I'm excited to see what future updates bring.

Alpha 2's released. Notable changes that I've noticed include:
  • Stone economy, allowing you to make stone walls with 1,000 durability that are non-flammable (almost 4x as durable as metal walls)
  • Added recipe stations
  • More food variety and the addition of a cooking system
  • Added zones that you can manually disable roofing on (Allows for protected indoor solar panels)
  • Turrets only occupy one tile instead of the previous four, and also seem slightly more useful than before
  • Probably more things I can't remember or haven't discovered yet

Still a great game, even in Alpha. I highly recommend it.

Edit: Oh yes, and also definable growing areas, designatable and configurable just like other zones, where you can choose what you wish to grow as opposed to the rubbish growing areas they forced you to use before.

Oh, thank god for those stone walls. Metal ones were just awful.

Turrets actually might be useful instead of just an expensive liability now.

Alpha 4 – Giant Centipede Robots released

• Major improvements in this build:
    • Wood economy. Logs, sawing, planks, flooring, tree growing, and more.
    • More stuff to research.
    • Crematorium.
    • Slag refinery.
    • More map variation.
    • Mechanoids raids.
    • Tension music for combat situations.
    • More songs for normal gameplay.
    • Smarter AI storytellers that focus on wealth and let you recover from serious damage.
    • Region system for better performance.
    • Tons of AI and usability improvements to hunting AI, player tutor, alerts, etc.

Alpha 5 – Under Siege released

A quick recap of improvements in Alpha 5:

Sieges added. Raiders will now sometimes besiege the colony by setting up a fortified position nearby and bombarding you until you die or come out to break the siege. Of course this also means there are now researchable and buildable mortar weapons – both explosive and incendiary.
    Escape ship added. You can now, at great cost, build a ship to escape the planet if you wish.
    Crashed ancient ship part incident added. Sometimes this bad boy will crash-land nearby and start emitting an ever-increasing psychic drone that slowly drives colonists insane. Attack it to make it stop, but beware its defenses.
    New mechanoid type added – the scyther.
    Many new sound effects from the illustrious Alistair Lindsay.
    A new gear system allows changing out of clothing. Clothing now has basic effects, like reducing damage or movement speed.
    There is now an info card you can view for most things in the game. For weapons, it shows statistics about damage, accuracy, and so on. For animals, it displays health, damage, meat amounts. Lots of other things can be inspected as well.
    A game history tracker records the history of your colony in graphs of wealth, population, and happiness, as well as recording individual important events.
    Game history is now uploaded automatically to our servers after an opt-in prompt is agreed to. This uploads your game history – the same one you see on your history graph – to us to help us balance future versions.
    More translations added (Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, others) and existing translations updated.
    Language can now be switched by clicking the flag on the main game screen.
    Lots of other small improvements.

Big content update: Raiders will build siege encampment with artillery, clothing & armor system, endgame escape with building your own space ship (optional), and other stuff.

This game is coming along really nicely with frequent content updates.

I agree its a little too OP atm. My bloke got shot a couple of times and had injuries to almost every part of his body... He got shot, not fallen out a bloody plane!!

Epicrules said:
Needs some serious rebalancing/tweaking though. I had a miner get his nose cut off by falling rocks when he mined some ore standing out in the open.

I don't see how that's a problem - a giant rock falls off and hits you square in the face? I could see that taking your nose off easily, or at least crushing it beyond reasonable repair.

produno said:
My bloke got shot a couple of times and had injuries to almost every part of his body... He got shot, not fallen out a bloody plane!!

I don't see how that's a problem either. Getting shot multiple times could very easily cause serious damage to numerous areas of the body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-bullet_theory

I phrased that awkwardly, it wasn't really meant to be a complaint about the injury system, just some complaints about random stuff with the game in general. I.E. a random ore out in the open having a "roof" that will fall on you when you try to mine it and no way to get rid of it safely other than blowing it up.

Moose! said:
produno said:
My bloke got shot a couple of times and had injuries to almost every part of his body... He got shot, not fallen out a bloody plane!!

I don't see how that's a problem either. Getting shot multiple times could very easily cause serious damage to numerous areas of the body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-bullet_theory

I dis-agree getting shot in the leg for instance with a pistol would cause multiple bullet wounds to the rest of your body. Seems a little far fetched to me. It happened quite a few time in my last game which resulted in me getting bored pretty quickly :smile:.

http://ludeon.com/blog/2014/10/alpha-7-things-made-of-stuff-released/ said:
Alpha 7 is out! This time we’ve added artificial limbs and prosthetics, jungle biome, new trade system, organ harvesting and trading, and a whole ‘stuff and stats’ system where certain things can be made of other things.
If you own the game, you should get an update email from us. You can also get Alpha 7 by re-downloading from the link you used before (it is a permanent link and always has the newest version). Anyone still having trouble should start at this thread.
Also note that this build will not load old savegames, so keep your old install separate if you want to finish an Alpha 6 colony.

Change summary:
  • Stuff system allows you to build walls, furniture, and other structures out of arbitrary materials.
  • New stats system for calculating and reporting thing stats from skill, race, stuff, and other factors.
  • There are now multiple types of stone: sandstone, granite, marble, slate, and limestone.
  • There are now multiple mineable minerals: metal, silver, gold, plasteel.
  • Leather harvesting from animals, and cloth harvesting from cotton crops. Special space-tech cloth types.
  • Make clothing from arbitrary fabrics or leathers.
  • Reworked damage deflection chance per-damagetype armor system. Some animals and mechanoids have natural armor.
  • New biome: tropical rainforest. A choking, disease-infested jungle. Disease rates are linked to biomes.
  • Prosthetic limbs, from simple to complex: peg legs, wood dentures, simple prosthetics, enhanced bionic limbs and eyes.
  • Organ harvesting and transplanting.
  • Diseases: flu, plague, malaria, sleeping sickness.
  • Chronic conditions (age-related): Cataracts, bad back
  • A bunch of new traits. Brawler, prosthophile, and more
  • New trade system and interface.
  • Traders carry and buy any item, including prosthetics, neurotrainers, organs, slaves, weapons, apparel, commodities.
  • Neutrotrainers: Matrix-style instant training devices.
  • Lockable doors
  • Melee weapons: Club, knife, spear, shiv, short sword
  • New animals: cobra, monkey, camel, tortoise, boar, rhino.
  • Storyteller redesigned and rebalanced.
  • Visitors carry their own food and hopefully won’t raid your food supplies.
  • Translations can be set to avoid using tiny text (useful for Asian languages where tiny characters are unreadable).
  • Rewritten credits system integrates translator credits from each translation automatically.
  • Piles of other additions, fixes, and tunings.

Okay, so I can now create my double peglegged, matrix kung-fu trained, claw-handed, glowing cybernetic eye having, fullbody cobra leather wearing mad scientist who funds his research and colony building by hunting and dissecting local tribal populace to sell their organs to space black market. And why wouldn't he, after all those GOLDEN WALLS are going to cost fortune.

For now there is still probably need for couple of manservant minions to do the colony chores, but after robotic update comes (I would imagine it'll come in certainty) there is no need for meatbags. Occasional guests can always have their limps removed and be seated in dining room so they won't wander off and play with lab equipments.

Yes.. I see potential in this..

Alpha 8 – Winter is Coming released

Temperature and seasons

A new temperature system tracks temperatures indoors and outdoors.
    Characters can get hypothermia, frostbite, heatstroke, or burns from being in extreme-temperature areas.
    Certain clothing can protect against temperature discomfort/harm.
    Temperature changes daily and on a yearly cycle according to where you are on the planet. There are distinct seasons.
    There are special heat wave/cold snap events.
    Added heater and cooler buildings.
    Food spoils. This can be slowed or prevented with refrigeration.
    Snow falls and accumulates over winter. It slows down movement.
    Snow can be cleared manually, and will melt if heated.
    New apparel: Parka and tuque.
    Added new biomes: boreal forest and tundra

Art and crafting

Sculptor’s table added. Colonists can create abstract sculptures.
    Sculptures and melee weapons have a quality. Quality is influenced by crafter skill and affects beauty and damage.
    Apparel crafting now allows crafting any kind of apparel.
    Can now craft any kind of melee weapon from appropriate materials.
    Created ‘unfinished thing’ step to crafting. Crafting can now take several days per item (as in the case of advanced weapons or art).
    Added art trading.

New content

New animals: elk, hare
    New plants: pine tree, birch tree, moss, xerigium
    Xerigium plants can be farmed and refined into herbal medicine.
    New power plant: wind turbine.
    New weapons: triple rocket launcher, doomsday rocket launcher.
    New items: Glitterworld medicine, herbal medicine.
    Alphabeaver event creates alphabeavers who will consume trees until stopped.
    Ancient cryptosleep shrines now generate on the map. Open the cryptosleep caskets if you dare – the occupants may not be friendly.
    Economy and trader stock generation reworked and rebalanced from the ground up.
    Stats inspector allows inspecting more things in more places, and provides more, clearer info.
    Several new songs from Alistair Lindsay.
    You can now release prisoners. This gains you goodwill from their faction.
    You can now configure your keyboard hotkeys.
    Dozens of other fixes and improvements.

Temperature adds big impact to immersion, now you'll can make you colony interiors comfy with fireplaces and heaters and have to think do your colonists have enough warm clothes on at the winter seasons when they wander outside.

Seasonal harvest is nice too since you'll have to stock some food supplies over winter. Which brings to refrigerator to keep food out of spoiling, it actually produces heat to other side which is nice detail.

Gonna start colony in boreal region which should remind me of Finnish climate :grin: Nothing like trying to relive 1866-1868 big famine years. (though with psycothic muffalos and plasma weapons)

Also, this guy is hugely productive, he churns out updates at the pace I rarely see in these indie projects.

He even said he would put more time between updates:

I’ve decided to start targeting somewhat longer spans between releases. This is to improve long-term productivity.

Each release takes a ton of time in and of itself. I can’t just package up the game and release it. It has to go through a multi-week, multi-stage testing and bugfixing process. The private testers have to bang on it, then the public testers. I have to manage dozens of bug reports, close duplicates, invite new testers, test it myself, and of course fix piles and piles of bugs. As the game’s gotten more complex this whole process has gotten more involved. The first public releases wrapped up their testing cycles in about a week. Alpha 7 took about three weeks. There’s just more stuff to test now. I can still work on future content during a testing cycle, but it’s slower as every change and fix needs to be merged forward – sometimes dozens of times. Then, once it’s released, there is a barrage of support requests and often more bug reports and hotfixes to test and release and publicize.

I believe I can maximize long-term output by reducing the number of actual releases and being able to just work with the game in an unstable state for longer. Because that’s where the good super-productive period is: when I can simply pour in features without constantly worrying about every little bug that might be getting introduced. I want to expand that period of the release cycle proportional to the testing period, to maintain a good ratio.

I was like: "Okay, see you in 6 months."

Then 2 months 1 week later: Alpha 8

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom