Kickstarter: Rimworld

Users who are viewing this thread

The buy-in can be a little high, but the cost over time is very low. You also tend to get a lot of bang for your buck with video games compared to other forms of entertainment.

Yeah, my gaming budget is about $5 a month on average, but Rimworld has turned out to be worth giving up any other games for a few months. I'm 544 hours in now, and I'm still having a lot of fun with it.

Rimworld SeaBlock

ylZ3Pz0.png

Had to use GodMode to create the ocean. Luckily I had a few mods installed that allowed me to build tiles where ever and used that to expedite the process. Using the in-game terrain tool would have required clicking every single tile around the land.

Some mods used:
[sd]Bridges
Vegetable Garden + plant resources
Floating Solar panels
Solar roofing
RimFactory
Hygiene Mod
EmbrasuresExtra turrets
Water ModArachnid Mod (Because I can't have fun unless I'm being hurt)
Other mods, too many mods, too numerous to list.

laLtjIu.jpg
Your bog standard start. Just 3 pawns on a small piece of land.

KwXiln7.jpg
The result from around a week in. Almost most of the land is used for farming. Just got a new pawn from an event. The naked guy to the right with the bamboo is him.

Got your basic habitat setup. And as you can already see, I'm hurting for space already.  Bamboo is being massed farmed because I want to reclaim the metal from the walls + as use primary building material in the future.

Lots of coffee being planted, because I like my pawn awake 24/7.

I found out that shallow water can be used to store things, yay!

GiEXVfZ.png
More done, crawling up the research tree. Got comms, and have begun stockpiling items to sell. Walkways expanded. First floating solar panel down.

OgWn9jw.jpg
A little bit later.

First new platforms being placed down. Boy they take a long time to build!

Dead things to the West and South, because of poor life decisions.

LuLqF7R.png
Far, far down the line, because I forgot to take pictures along the way.

I've expanded the buildable spaces to the safe Eastern side of the Map. Most of the floating solar panels were moved to the far east for protection, since the ones in the south kept getting shot up during fights.

A bunker has been created at the North-Western side of the settlement, because I want to reclaim the central old building that's been built on top of soil for farming. All the living quartres have been moved to the building at the top right. Below it is the main production area, and below that is the guest area, because I've installed Hospitality.

The small chunk to the west of the guest house is the utility area, housing all the AC, power, and electrical storage.

To the west of the utility area is a bathroom.

North of the Utilizy square is you got a makeshift hospital/brewery, because why not, I'm so short on space. In the section north of that is the research bay. No wasted here here, ho! And above that is the advanced medical pod. I do not remember the mod name.

North of the farming area is the stockpile zone.

Things have gotten pretty stable. I'm now sourcing most of my steel through the autominers, and turning all the rocks into steel via the steel extraction mod. But even with grow lights and good soil + sprinklers, Bamboo is turning out to be the bottleneck in building more platforms.

https://imgur.com/a/bo00f5m?

Reminds me of my little mountain base in the arctic. The only way to survive overnight was to be inside, so I ended up building every single thing inside except for a little mortar nest. Easiest game I've ever had once the farms were set up, because then the only remaining threats were raiders & random events. Raiders weren't actually dangerous at all, because they moved so slowly through the snow and my pawns that were incapable of violence were perfectly fine with committing atrocities indirectly via the mortars.

Making new livable space was a chore, though, and I couldn't afford to feed more than 4 pawns. Most new pawns that showed up died of exposure before they could be rescued, which was good and bad. A couple of my pawns lost random family members that dropped from space and froze to death, naked in the snow.

These days infestations can make building inside mountains a pain, but if you keep the temperature under -17C, the bugs shouldnt spawn. Sure the pawns will whine about it, but its better than living through Alien: Rimworld Edition.

Infestations prefer to spawn in areas which are under a mountain and unlit first. I've read that you can mine out an area around your base, and keep it unlit just to infestations will spawn in there first. I don't know why it has to surround the base, maybe the infestations calculate spawn located from the outside edges and into the middle?

I think it's just how lit it is, so just mining out all the surface deposits can work, if you have enough.
Of course, I still prefer to wall-over almost any section that has "overhead mountain" as its ceiling in the settlement itself.
The solution does, however, have potential for accidentally leaving the ****ers unattended for too long and the colony getting overrun from the outside instead.

I don't really want to disable the event because reasons, but I do find it somewhat annoying since they'll also spawn in naturally occurring spots, like the underground sections of the river that separates my current colony from the rest of the world.
Of course my current game has some slight modifications, and a granite bunker discharging canister shot lessens many a problem into a mere nuisance.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1319614331

Better infestations. They do not spawn in your base. They operate as a hive-mind, attacking in groups when they are hungry, dragging their prey back to their home to eat.

Back
Top Bottom