Keybinds: Let us bind stab and overhead swings to keys....

Users who are viewing this thread

hossfxr

Recruit
I just want to be able to stab or swing overhead cleanly when I am in tight spaces and whatnot without hitting my teammates or hitting walls. The aiming upward or downward to stab or swing overhand is terribly awkward. I would really appreciate the option to bind my different swings to keys. thanks.

Last edited:
bruh.. Are you actually serious? Is it actually too hard for you to control your directional swings?

What an ignorant remark. In the midst of combat when you are reacting to everything around you, looking quickly left and right sometimes there is no time to move mouse up/down. Im sure you only say this because you are not very intelligent/not played siege.

What an ignorant remark. In the midst of combat when you are reacting to everything around you, looking quickly left and right sometimes there is no time to move mouse up/down. Im sure you only say this because you are not very intelligent/not played siege.
"no time"
before you press left attack just move your mouse 2mm up on mousepad

"no time"
before you press left attack just move your mouse 2mm up on mousepad

Yeah and at the same time you have to worry about block direction, your stance, whether you are facing the enemy to be allowed to block and whether your attack will come out as stab or overhead. Then since everyone is also moving chaotically left and right you also have to constantly adjust your aim left or right making overheads nigh impossible in a group fight. If we had a binding for directional attacks*(there is already a mod that does it) then the fights would look much less retarded around teammates. You can tell how it would play if you had a spear as you are limited to thrust only.

Dont know why there is so much blind denial and resistance for some QoL improvements.

Yeah and at the same time you have to worry about block direction, your stance, whether you are facing the enemy to be allowed to block and whether your attack will come out as stab or overhead. Then since everyone is also moving chaotically left and right you also have to constantly adjust your aim left or right making overheads nigh impossible in a group fight. If we had a binding for directional attacks*(there is already a mod that does it) then the fights would look much less retarded around teammates. You can tell how it would play if you had a spear as you are limited to thrust only.

Dont know why there is so much blind denial and resistance for some QoL improvements.

Just change your settings so your swings are based on movement keys instead of mouse movement.

It's a skill based game, why don't we just have headshots lock on too, that'd be a QoL improvement; I wouldn't have to peskily try to figure out drop rates and where the enemy is going to be in the future. Practice your overheads, they aren't that hard.

Having bindable attacks is not mount and blade philosophy, wether we like it or not mount and blade is all about getting carpal tunnel and moving your mouse. Regardless, the current directions do not work good. I have seen this countless times in bannerlord where I move my mouse to one directions it does a totally different attack. This is a combinations of FPS and bad pickups from the deadzones of the game. TW should make it responsive but bindable attacks is not something that they should o.

This has come up as a suggestion before - and though i'm usually in favour of as many options as possible for people to customise things, having attacks be bindable to keys without any noticeable input (move direction, mouse direction) i think is a bad idea for multiplayer, at the very least.

A large part of readability against other players comes from all the micro-movement and things you learn to pick up on over time that aren't as noticeable as the normal attack direction. You can "feel" the way someone is going to attack just before they do it, because after many many hours of seeing it your brain can see the little wiggle in their avatar as they prep their right swing/stab etc. It's also why a large part of succesful feints is not only throwing in a fake attack, but adding a little "wiggle" to it to tease out that reflexive reaction from your opponent.

Having the attack directions be bindable to a key, with no outside input visible (movement, essentially - wether by movement direction or turning your character a little) will potentially get rid of that... subconscious? level of play. It's a large part of why inverse became a larger thing in warband multiplayer in the later years. Outside the better-for-left-swing shenanigans, people were just generally much less used to that micro wiggle coming out in the opposite direction, and could greatly mess with the instincts of players that weren't used to fighting inverse players.

It's also a large part of why fighting bots can be... more difficult in some ways, than players. The things they do can seem *very* spontaneous and hard to read - in a very large part (in my opinion) due to that lack of micromovement in their attacks. They just lock their view on you can do things, with no other way to read them or their intentions, unlike a player - even the best of them, trying to act like a bot.

You all who fight against it are too stubborn to make a change and this topic has devolved into pointless arguments for the sake of argument and just writing posts. Just a modern trend to contradict and be smug, thats all there is to this.

I want the game to look and feel smooth, this is a good change that will make siege fights work/look better, thank God you are not devs.

bruh.. Are you actually serious? Is it actually too hard for you to control your directional swings?

Bruh... you can keep looking at the ground to stab if you want.. even though I bet you don't even use stab... like 95 percent of people don't... The game as it stands is just a everyone running in circles around each other and doing side swings. Why is that you think?

I don't understand why some of you people have such a problem with letting those of us that want to be able to bind the stab and overhead to keys instead of mouse movement. It doesn't affect you. You can still do it the other way if you want. I myself don't want to be staring at the ground trying to stab while in a stairway or any other time really... It's trash..

Last edited:
They don't have to change it.. but imo if they don't the game will never be as good as it could be. I read something about them wanting to go in the direction of esports. Never gonna happen with these bs controls. I been playing M&B games for a long time and love their games but it only takes a few minutes of playing Mordhau to see how much better it is to be able to bind stab and overhead swing to keys... Bannerlord single player and captain mode are both hands down fantastic but the other game modes are flat out garbage simply because the current controls are lacking. They are nowhere as fluid as mordhau and never will be without being able to at least bind stab and overhead. Go ahead and stick to the old way of doing things because some old M&B players can't handle change. Fine. I'll stick to playing single player and captain mode and go play mordhau for competitive melee. Have fun playing siege or team deathmatch with the same 50 people.

Alright, don't let the door hit you on the way out, despite @xombie5 basically explaining exactly why this is never gonna be a good idea.

In all honesty it sounds like a classic case of git gud, I have no issues choosing my attack except for the rare bug where your animation desyncs with the server and you end up throwing the wrong attack.

Alright, don't let the door hit you on the way out, despite @xombie5 basically explaining exactly why this is never gonna be a good idea.

In all honesty it sounds like a classic case of git gud, I have no issues choosing my attack except for the rare bug where your animation desyncs with the server and you end up throwing the wrong attack.

Oh yea.. I need to git gud.. because you apparently can't see someone trying to stab you and dodge or block it if it isn't telegraphed enough for ya... dumbest thing I ever heard.. Can't have better controls and a more fluid gameplay guys because... I can't block it if you don't look directly at the ground everytime you go for a stab,

Last edited:
Oh yea.. I need to git gud.. because you apparently can't see someone trying to stab you and dodge or block it if it isn't telegraphed enough for ya... dumbest thing I ever heard.. Can't have better controls and a more fluid gameplay guys because... I can't block it if you don't look directly at the ground everytime you go for a stab,

I can handle it fine, you cannot. Slight flicks in the direction you want to attack is all you need, you hardly need to look at the sky to block or attack up. I think something like Skyrim would be more your speed.

You guys are a bunch of F'in morons. If you can't block a stab or overhead simply because someone has it bound to a key rather than using a mouse movement then you should just quit playing... dumb af

Back
Top Bottom