KEO Space Capsel - What will your message be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kay well first of all, this project has been going on for quite a many years so I apologize if its a repost.

About KEO - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KEO

Basically, they're sending a timecapsel to the space that will, if all goes well, return in 50000 years or so and every human being right now has a chance to send a letter with it to the outer space, for the future generations to read. Kinda like what cave paintings were for us, so future people (if the human race will survive for another 50000 years) can read what we, the simple people from year 2006-2013 have written in there.

The messages and library will be encoded in glass-made radiation-resistant DVDs. Symbolic instructions in several formats will show the future finders how to build a DVD reader.
The satellite itself is a hollow sphere 80 cm in diameter. The sphere is engraved with a map of Earth and surrounded by an aluminium layer, a thermal layer and several layers of titanium and other heavy materials intertwined with vacuum. The sphere is resistant to cosmic radiation, atmosphere re-entry, space junk impacts, etc. For its first few years in orbit, KEO will sport a pair of wings 10 meters across that will aid in its spotting from Earth. As the satellite enters the atmosphere, the thermal layer will produce an artificial aurora to give a signal of the satellite's re-entry. The passive satellite will not carry any communications or propulsion systems. It will be launched by an Ariane 5 rocket into an orbit 1,800 km high, an altitude that will bring it back to Earth in 500 centuries, the same amount of time that has elapsed since early humans started to draw in cavern walls.

Link from where you can send a letter - http://www.keo.org/uk/pages/message.php

Seems quite interesting to me, gotta think what to write.

Should write about what is taboo and why and also how Religion is affecting the world. I imagine they won't have religion that far into the future if Humans survive.

Deserath said:
Should write about what is taboo and why and also how Religion is affecting the world. I imagine they won't have religion that far into the future if Humans survive.
I told them about background radiation leftover from big bang. I imagine they'll still be having quite the discussion of how the universe came about, and I heard that in the distant future, the traces of big bang won't be visible anymore! It might even destroy some silly future religion. Or start a new one  :oops:

Just what the people of the future are asking for: more space junk from the past! It'd be funny if all of these capsules showed up at the same time. Massive spam invasion from outer space!

Why? He's neither of our era nor likely to be appreciated by humans so far in the future if they have not chosen to preserve it for that long. For all we know, purely written communication will no longer exist, and the thought of merely reading something will seem hopelessly primitive and boring.

Use 50's educational documentary template, and include sharktopus as one of the things the 'modern' human have to live with. Earth was once a much less friendly place. Mutated space lizards and sharktopusses.

Cookie Eating Huskarl said:
I think we should include footages of Godzilla.

I like this plan. Spoogle the **** out of them.
Send in a bit of King Kong too. Or Oprah, yes, send Oprah.

If we send Oprah they'll just burn all future messages without reading them.

Deserath said:
That's a good idea.
I'll try to think of something interesting to say...

Back
Top Bottom