just make a couple armors!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

RodLimitless

Recruit
dude there's like 15 different variants of vlandian helmets and such.

why can't you just make 2 armor sets, of every category (armor tier : 1, 2,3,4,5) and for every tier there be 2 variants.

also it is beyond aggravating that the vlandian knight plate helms do NOT cover the neck. like are u kidding me??? as a historian i can tell you the first thing anyone would grab is 1) a shield 2) a helmet, and if u wanna protect anything else, you protect YOUR NECK. so many of these mail coif sure have a visor but no neck coverage, even the vlandian knight unit or banner knight one of those, has no neck covered and yes im talking about the aesthetics

also, it makes no sense there's armors that are more aesthetically protected yet provide significantly less armor than armors that dont even cover ur neck. cmon man

dude there's like 15 different variants of vlandian helmets and such.

why can't you just make 2 armor sets, of every category (armor tier : 1, 2,3,4,5) and for every tier there be 2 variants.
I think there is a very good amount of armor for most factions, with the exception that Vlandia and maybe Sturgia could do with some shoulder/cape/torso pieces. TW has told us there are 7 Vlandian shoulder/cape armour pieces coming in the next patch.
also it is beyond aggravating that the vlandian knight plate helms do NOT cover the neck. like are u kidding me??? as a historian i can tell you the first thing anyone would grab is 1) a shield 2) a helmet, and if u wanna protect anything else, you protect YOUR NECK. so many of these mail coif sure have a visor but no neck coverage, even the vlandian knight unit or banner knight one of those, has no neck covered and yes im talking about the aesthetics
Yes, they should fix this.
also, it makes no sense there's armors that are more aesthetically protected yet provide significantly less armor than armors that dont even cover ur neck. cmon man
Agreed. There's a good, thorough thread about this, which has been forwarded to the developers. https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/item-feedback-1-71.450263/ Feel free to point out anything they've missed though, and post it in that thread.

I agree with OP.

When looking at all the armours in the game at first glance, it looks like there are a bunch.
And while on paper it may look good, there actually isnt alot of armour in the game.
The thing is, there is a serious lack in Low/medium tier armour missing in the game.
Ranging from the categories; peasant clothes, medium/high class clothes, padded armours, chainmails and cheap lamellar.

I believe there are 9 'actual peasant' style clothing in the game, and if you split that to 6 main cultures plus all the various sub cultures in the game, it is actually less than one style peasant outfit per culture.
Regarding peasant clothes, there should be atleast 3 times that number in the game to make it feel more immersive.

Now there are a bunch of other tunics and stuff, but that is not considered peasants clothes, those are either medium class, or noble class clothes.
But the thing is, due to the lack of actual peasant clothes, then DEVS have been forced to give out medium class clothes, to peasants to fill the gap, the lack of armours in the game is actually quite obvious and not something that the devs are even trying to hide.

If you take a look at the actual Sturgian Peasant, which is a troop that can be upgraded to a sturgian recruit.
Then the only thing that tells me that he is a peasant is the fact that he wields a hoe as a working tool.

The actual clothing that he is wearing, resembles not that of a peasant, but instead that of a semi wealthy town person.
And it is the same thing with all the other cultures.
The only ones that looks like actual peasants in the game are looters.
And that is a problem. because that is how all the peasants should look in all the cultures either when you recruit them, or walk around in villages.

Even the first recruit you get from villages, should be wearing clothes like a looter

And the actual looters should in fact look even more ragged than they currently are-
And while we lack a lot of the essential armours, devs are more focused on adding more and more of high tier armour, that should be considered exclusive to lords only.

But instead they give these armours to level 5 troops of the peasant line.
If we look at the ''Heavy Lamellar over Chainmail'' which the sturgian heavy axemen are wearing.
In the sake of Immersion, only a extremely wealthy lord would ever be able to afford this kind of luxury armour, but in TW logics, this is what every levy funded peasant are wearing.
At most and at highest tier these guys would wear some kind of cheap chainmail vest or cheap lamellar or just padded armour, (or to name a armour in the game, then i would probably go with the ''Cured Leather Lamellar Shirt'' for the heavy sturgian axemen which is a tier 5 troop.
If this was supposed to resemble realism/immersion

Even the heavy lamellar vest which is worn by the sturgian heroic line breaker, is considered to be designed for wealthy lords.
Not even for the noble line tier 6, would i let them use these exclusively armours which are intended for lords.
I would instead give them a cheaper looking hauberk or something.
and this is the problem we are having regarding armours.
Currently Tier 1 recruit looks like they should be tier 3 townsman, and tier 5 looks like they should be noble line tier 10.

If TW seeks to provide the consumers a immersive bannerlord experience, then i am sorry to say, but they have to create atleast 3 times the number of armours they have in game, and for every high tier armour they are adding, they should be adding atleast 6 armours considered for lower tier, to equal the difference.
Honestly, i would love to see atleast 15 more actual peasant clothes, then around 20 more clothing which are considered for medium class, 10+ more for noble class.10+ padded armours, 10+ chainmails and hauberks and 10+ more lamellar armours.

But these numbers i am requesting, should not be split in between the cultures, and become culture specific.
All of these armours should be considered ''universal'' armours, which means that every single one of these armours can be used for any kind of culture.
So none of the armours resembles battania, or aserai as default. They have to be neutral cultured.

For over two years now i have been working on a massive overhaul for the game, with a lot of uniquely looking cultures, and i have created so many assets by now, and even with all my many assets i am still in need of more armours to fill the gaps.
If i had to rely only on what TW had provided, it would be impossible.
My troops have currently between 6-15 equipment sets each to give variety.
We are talking hundreds of different troops.
In vanilla, most troops barely have 2 sets each, and if they do, then the only thing that differs from the other is if they have a scarf or not.

So yes, there is a serious lack of armours in the game as of now.

When looking at all the armours in the game at first glance, it looks like there are a bunch.
And while on paper it may look good, there actually isnt alot of armour in the game.
How can you say 640+ armour pieces (!!!) "isn't a lot"? It is.

I am critical of Taleworlds all the time, but this is one area where it is very unfair to say they have not put in enough effort.
The thing is, there is a serious lack in Low/medium tier armour missing in the game.
Ranging from the categories; peasant clothes, medium/high class clothes, padded armours, chainmails and cheap lamellar.
I believe there are 9 'actual peasant' style clothing in the game, and if you split that to 6 main cultures plus all the various sub cultures in the game, it is actually less than one style peasant outfit per culture.
Regarding peasant clothes, there should be atleast 3 times that number in the game to make it feel more immersive.
Important question: How often do you actually look at peasants? Almost all the NPCs you actually interact with in this game are rulers, lords, notables, or troops. Peasants are just background in towns and villages, which there is (sadly) almost no reason to explore anyway.

Because they mix and match a few torso sets with different hats and scarves, I have never noticed any lack of variety on peasants in hundreds of hours of play, until you mentioned it.
If we look at the ''Heavy Lamellar over Chainmail'' which the sturgian heavy axemen are wearing.
In the sake of Immersion, only a extremely wealthy lord would ever be able to afford this kind of luxury armour, but in TW logics, this is what every levy funded peasant are wearing.
At most and at highest tier these guys would wear some kind of cheap chainmail vest or cheap lamellar or just padded armour, (or to name a armour in the game, then i would probably go with the ''Cured Leather Lamellar Shirt'' for the heavy sturgian axemen which is a tier 5 troop.
If this was supposed to resemble realism/immersion

Even the heavy lamellar vest which is worn by the sturgian heroic line breaker, is considered to be designed for wealthy lords.
Not even for the noble line tier 6, would i let them use these exclusively armours which are intended for lords.
I would instead give them a cheaper looking hauberk or something.
and this is the problem we are having regarding armours.
Currently Tier 1 recruit looks like they should be tier 3 townsman, and tier 5 looks like they should be noble line tier 10.
I don't think it's unrealistic for T5 troops to have high quality armour. Tier 5 are almost the best paid troops in the game, so it makes sense for them to be able to access good armour.

The problem is that there are too many T5 troops and, especially, too many T6 noble troops. But it is not unrealistic for T5 troops to have high-quality equipment.
BayeuxTapestryScene52a.jpg

If TW seeks to provide the consumers a immersive bannerlord experience, then i am sorry to say, but they have to create atleast 3 times the number of armours they have in game, and for every high tier armour they are adding, they should be adding atleast 6 armours considered for lower tier, to equal the difference.
Honestly, i would love to see atleast 15 more actual peasant clothes, then around 20 more clothing which are considered for medium class, 10+ more for noble class.10+ padded armours, 10+ chainmails and hauberks and 10+ more lamellar armours.

But these numbers i am requesting, should not be split in between the cultures, and become culture specific.
All of these armours should be considered ''universal'' armours, which means that every single one of these armours can be used for any kind of culture.
So none of the armours resembles battania, or aserai as default. They have to be neutral cultured.
Bannerlord already has way more armour pieces than Warband ever had, and more than any game I can think of except maybe Mordhau. You're asking for an enormous amount of 3D models to be added to a game that already has 640+ armour 3D models (and that's not even counting flora, bodies, weapons, terrain, and props). Think of what that will do to the download size.

You are also asking for armour/clothing to be made that is both so generic it cannot be identified as any one culture, yet *also* different enough from each other to be worth adding - how is any designer meant to do that? There's only so many ways you can make a cloth shirt.

Think of what that will do to the download size.
This shouldn´t be an argument in 2022 if we are not talking about 1+ TB. But I could see TW taking that into their "Denied Playbook" for whatever explanation why not to add feature X :grin: .

Bannerlord uses 43 GB for me at the moment (installed), that´s "nothing". Warhammer 3 uses 111 GB.

Tbh I think variety of clothing options is the one thing we can't judge bannerlord on. To the point that the inevitable "Added 5 new Battanian cloaks" in every patch is almost a meme.

Agreed TW can and should use this variety better. Some of the unit types look exceptionally boring given the Hugh possible options they could use. The Legion minor faction comes instantly to mind.

If you take a look at the actual Sturgian Peasant, which is a troop that can be upgraded to a sturgian recruit.
Then the only thing that tells me that he is a peasant is the fact that he wields a hoe as a working tool.

The actual clothing that he is wearing, resembles not that of a peasant, but instead that of a semi wealthy town person.
And it is the same thing with all the other cultures.
The only ones that looks like actual peasants in the game are looters.
And that is a problem. because that is how all the peasants should look in all the cultures either when you recruit them, or walk around in villages.

Even the first recruit you get from villages, should be wearing clothes like a looter

And the actual looters should in fact look even more ragged than they currently are-
And while we lack a lot of the essential armours, devs are more focused on adding more and more of high tier armour, that should be considered exclusive to lords only.

From both a believability, aesthetic, and history standpoint, having all peasants dress in rags is just nonsensical. Most peasants throughout history were "poor" in that they had little access to money, but they usually owned a strip of land (otherwise they would have been serfs or indentured servants) and had enough free time to make or buy clothes. Illustrations of peasants or even serfs in in middle ages never show them wearing rags.

I can understand wanting the villages to look like they're in decay because of the backstory of the game, but if there is no variation then it's just boring in my eyes. I think you could get away with showing people wearing rags if the village is completely destitute, but if the majority of people in a kingdom are wearing hobo clothes then I find it hard to believe the knights with their pristine condom armour come from the same faction.

This shouldn´t be an argument in 2022 if we are not talking about 1+ TB. But I could see TW taking that into their "Denied Playbook" for whatever explanation why not to add feature X :grin: .

Bannerlord uses 43 GB for me at the moment (installed), that´s "nothing". Warhammer 3 uses 111 GB.

My SSD is 500 GB. I put all my work and stuff on there, leaving only around 200 GB for games. Only being able to install 2 games at a time is not where I want video games to go. There is no need to have 4k textures with hundreds of model variations on everything, its just laziness that causes exponential file size bloat and load times.

You want to game? Get a gaming rig also prices for 1 TB SSD aren´t that high, if you´re broke get a HHD.

500 GB are nothing for a gaming pc and you still can get the Bannerlord console version if you don´t care about 4k textures and stuff. But saying "god no, don´t add more armor and stuff because the game gets to big" is stupid...

Last edited:
You want to game? Get a gaming rig also prices for 1 TB SSD aren´t that high, if you´re broke get a HHD.

500 GB are nothing for a gaming pc and you still can get the Bannerlord console version if you don´t care about 4k textures and stuff. But saying "god no, don´t add more armor and stuff because the game gets to big" is stupid...

Preach it??

I'd really just like some heraldic tabards over mail for our clans, clans to keep their custom colors and instead just have standard bearers with the kingdom colors.

In the early 2000s I could fit literally hundreds of new games on my ancient PC. Now I can barely fit 5. There is no reason for so many games to be in the 100 GB range other than amateurish game development and sloppy removal of old assets. 4K textures are 16 times bigger than 1K textures (which were the standard about 10 years ago) and I am willing to bet hard cash that none of you could tell the difference between a game made with 4K textures and one made with 1K, despite it taking up 16 times more space on the hard drive and taking 16 times longer to load.

If every item uses 4K textures, that can easily add up to 100 MB per asset. This is utterly ridiculous, as you can achieve more or less identical results with 10MB or lower. The fact that this is becoming the new industry standard is sheer lunacy. When textures for single items have a higher resolution than a 4K monitor, all that data goes to waste.

If the point of adding new assets is to increase visual variation, there are far more inventive ways of doing this with existing assets. Bannerlord currently doesn't do this well, as it slaps a singular colour on everything, turning most armies into a sea of purple or red or yellow. Right now it doesn't matter how many items they add, if they are all the same colour then there is no visual variation at all.

unknown.png

Bannerlord currently looks like the top row, whereas I would much prefer if it looked like the bottom. Notice how the top has a good variety of armours, but since the colours are all the same it just boils down to different silhouettes. Meanwhile the bottom is all the same, but has enough colour variety to make it look more interesting and believable than the top.

No.
220px-Peraldus_Knight.jpg
67d60d64ccd4fe595a9059b68061fade.jpg
ce0ce5b034ab46dc67280eb182dfc969.jpg

Textures are not important as much as lighting. In Skyrim, I installed 4k texture mod, obviously there was a huge difference with respect to visuals but my rig could not handle it so I uninstalled it but installing enb which can be called lighting mod, I believe, and the difference was mind blowing with Skyrim original textures. I do not like it either with this 4k, 8k, 16k etc. textures going on in gaming industry but people will always like the more, the better so it will keep going.

What? I have 240 gb SSD and 1tb HDD. I can install one AAA game at the time, at least internet is fast enough to download the one I want.

Back
Top Bottom