Just give up and start over at this point

Users who are viewing this thread

Completely the result of a hyper successful marketing campaign carried almost entirely by Warband's success.

Seriously, Bannerlord had one of the most insanely effective word-of-mouth marketing campaigns in gaming history. It was unprecedented. From 2014-2020, the sheer amount of internet discussions, YouTube videos, memes, and overall hype generated by a rabidly loyal and dedicated fanbase ensured that Bannerlord would sell. People were telling their gaming friends, people were telling their real life friends. Hype for Bannerlord even spilled over into other gaming circles not under the Mount&Blade umbrella. Taleworld's presentation at Gamescom 2016 generated interest, but it was minute compared to the overwhelming zeitgeist fueled by the Warband community.

A lot of people bought Bannerlord, but of those 147,527 steam reviews, how many played it for more than a few hours -a few days at most, before ultimately dropping it, forgetting about Bannerlord entirely, and moving to on the next shiny object? I would imagine an overwhelming amount of them.

Taleworlds capitalized off of the goodwill created by Warband, as well as the collective ADHD that most people seem stricken by nowadays. People will buy a $40-50 game simply because it appears popular and everyone else seems to be playing it, they'll play a few hours, leave a positive review (without ever really taking the time or effort to question the depth or balance of the game), and then just as quickly they'll buy the next $40-50 game that everyone is playing a week later.

I suppose from an economic model you can't blame them for the exploitation of societal tendencies and market trends, but at this point I'd say that Taleworlds are probably better businessmen than they are creative auteurs.

This right here. And the kicker is -TW knows exactly what type of advancement the general old Guard M&B/Warband players wanted. Jesus theres was like a 10,000 page/8 year thread on just hopefuls and suggestions on these TW forums -of course thats alot of opinions -but it would be disingenuous for them to act like "oh we didnt know yall wanted all that kingdom stuff, and marriages and NPC's with personalities, and continued town ambush, and feasts, and reasons for probable war probable peace...? We didnt know that we thought yall just wanted a more accessible game that your 9 year console loving nephews could play too..."

It is known. Goodwill spent, next game dont count on us.

I for one am going to say something inflammatory, and then rationalise it as best I can over and over as other people disagree with me.

13 years, but whose counting.

The point is that the 13 years they’ve spent is a sink cost. It’s gone. We aren’t getting it back. In those 13 years they developed a dumpster fire.
13 years ago Warband was not even released yet lol
It's 8 years of dev time + 2 years of Early Access so far.

My point is throw all that out. Start over and actually do a game right, in a reasonable timeframe. A year at most for major development. If you want early access, release it for a few months. This is entirely doable with the size of the team over at TW, which is over 100 employees. They can’t pretend to be some indie studio when they print tens of millions per game.
It is what it is. Taleworlds is known for extremely slow development, starting over now makes no sense. It's not going to be faster nor will the game suddenly be better than Bannerlord.

13 years ago Warband was not even released yet lol
It's 8 years of dev time + 2 years of Early Access so far.
They began development on Bannerlord in 2010.
Year 1 - 2010
Year 2 - 2011
Year 3 - 2012
Year 4 - 2013
Year 5 - 2014
Year 6 - 2015
Year 7 - 2016
Year 8 - 2017
Year 9 - 2018
Year 10 - 2019
Year 11 - 2020
Year 12 - 2021
Year 13 - 2022

Well, they gave up on Bannerlord (but not on the DLCs and console ports which you EA enthusiasts didn't buy yet) and started over with their space game nearly two years ago.
I hope you are happy now.

They began development on Bannerlord in 2010.
Year 1 - 2010
Year 2 - 2011
Year 3 - 2012
Year 4 - 2013
Year 5 - 2014
Year 6 - 2015
Year 7 - 2016
Year 8 - 2017
Year 9 - 2018
Year 10 - 2019
Year 11 - 2020
Year 12 - 2021
Year 13 - 2022
As far as I know, this is wrong. They announced the TITLE in 2012. They did not start the production at that time yet (they announced early due to copyright issues with Paradox). We know that this game has been started again at least 2-3 times and the current version is from 2016-2017. Considering the loss of significant and skillful devs from the company over time (they lost devs to paradox and Ubisoft over time), and many revoked on the plan of the game the current state of the game is not that much worse.

As far as I know, this is wrong. They announced the TITLE in 2012. They did not start the production at that time yet (they announced early due to copyright issues with Paradox).
``The game has been in development since the release of Warband in 2010 and features an all new engine, developed specifically for the game, by developers TaleWorlds.``

``The game has been in development since the release of Warband in 2010 and features an all new engine, developed specifically for the game, by developers TaleWorlds.``
I've been in METU (the place where TW is located) and I learned from my Computer Engineer friend who had a chance to talk with an employee from TW. They may started Pre-Production at that time, but not development.

13 years, but whose counting.
Nobody, apparently, as it's just under 10 years since the comically premature announcement and 12 years since the release of Warband. You can try to count the years in the most asinine way, willfully ignorant of how numbers actually work, but Warband released on March 30th (easy to remember for me, since it's my mom's birthday) of 2010 and it has been 12 years and 67 days since then. No matter how you try to spin it, 12 years, 2 months and change is not in any way equal to 13 years. This might seem like splitting hairs, but of course you know that the announcement was posted in late September of 2012 and progress on the game was essentially scrapped at least once in the intervening years so counting from Warband's release date isn't meaningful to begin with. You've been given lots of leeway to come here and winge, the least you could do is be honest with it.

Nobody, apparently, as it's just under 10 years since the comically premature announcement and 12 years since the release of Warband. You can try to count the years in the most asinine way, willfully ignorant of how numbers actually work, but Warband released on March 30th (easy to remember for me, since it's my mom's birthday) of 2010 and it has been 12 years and 67 days since then. No matter how you try to spin it, 12 years, 2 months and change is not in any way equal to 13 years. This might seem like splitting hairs, but of course you know that the announcement was posted in late September of 2012 and progress on the game was essentially scrapped at least once in the intervening years so counting from Warband's release date isn't meaningful to begin with. You've been given lots of leeway to come here and winge, the least you could do is be honest with it.
The fact they have had to throw everything out and start over (at least once) is the exact thing I’ve been complaining about the entire time. It’s the mark of incompetence when you realize that the game is so busted that you have to start all over. Whether that was once or twice or ten times during development, what I’m saying is that they are at the exact same point now. It’s something that is just too far gone to be fixed in a reasonable timeframe (less than 30 years based on their work ethic). Why is it okay for them to have tossed everything out in say 2014, but not now? They’ve done it before and apparently you’re giving them a pass for doing so, as you say it isn’t “meaningful” to count from before they scrapped it. So, if this method is okay then, why not now?

As for the 13 years number, I suppose I misspoke or was misunderstood. It hasn’t been 13 years; they are in the 13th year of development, as you mention 12 years and 2 months

You've been given lots of leeway to come here and winge, the least you could do is be honest with it.
Since he is basically creating the same unconstructive whining thread every month or so, why not merge his threads into one.
There will be no loss to the wider public, whether they like BL or not. The constructive people who give genuinely actionable criticism are getting crowded out by spam like this.

It doesn´t matter if it´s 5, 10 or 15 years...the slow progress between real patches is the problem and this bad joke patches like 1.7.1 / 1.7.2.

Let´s see what we get after 3+ months...if there would be a good patch with significant stuff in it every 2/3 months it would be a different thing. But it´s 1-2 good patches a year and a lot of minor stuff in between.

What other choice do we have?
tumblr_inline_mr1180UGkR1qz4rgp.gif

Back
Top Bottom