Joker's Kingdom of Heaven topic (almost 300 medium sized pictures!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Gonna watch the full version tomorrow,hope there is some good combat in it..
Really hate it if combat gets censored..

othr said:
Well the combat is what it has cause the story is just uhh well, fantasy?

The Leper King wasn't like how they had him in the movie AT ALL. He was a child warrior-king who loved battle not a peace loving layabout lol.

I just watched the movie again. The last scenes still gives me the goosbumps.

"When you rise, if you rise, Rise a Knight"

"Saladin : Salaam alaikum
Balian  : And peace be with you"

"Rashid : Peace be with you
Balian  : Alaikum salaam"

I know some men be unique in their strength,but seriously a bolt to the throat and still fighting?
And was that a Moor in their party?

I liked when he dubs the Gravedigger, and he recognises him.

BALIAN: "Master gravedigger..."
GRAVEDIGGER: "Is it you?"
BALIAN: "Not what I was. Nor are you. Rise a knight."

The movie got some great lines. But it's a shame the story was, at parts, so lame. And also, it's a shame they picked such a bad actor. As well as such an uninteresting character as THE PERFECT KNIGHT. Bollocks.

The real Balian was quite a bastard. Always second to his elder brother, the famous and galliant Baldwin of Ibelin, he probably developed some kind of inferiority complex, always wanting to surpass him and get famous.

I think that he was quite shy about that until he married the ultimate Livia of the show: Maria Komnena, widow of Baldwin IV's father and granddaughter of Manuel Komnenos, the great Emperor. She was a real plotter, a conspiring woman with little regards for goodness. Probably it was she who turned Balian into the conspirative bastard that he became. The two of them started plotting against Guy when Jerusalem was taken, and played the kingmakers all the time.

Still, he was not really dishonourable. His way of telling Saladin "sorry, I know I promised I wouldn't lead the defense of Jerusalem, but they ask me so nicely, and the town is so full of children, that I cannot say no..." it's quite interesting, since he's actually breaking an oath for which Saladin left him free after being captured in Hattin, but for what seems to be a good reason. I doubt there wasn't a good part of personal interest in there. Being the defender and saviour of Jerusalem is no little thing.

That's my opinion, at least. Any feedback? Any contrary opinions?

I just love the Crusades. I will certainly play this submod.

I thought balian was quite noble, i read somewhere that he offered himself as prisoner to saladin in exchange for freeing all the other citizens of jerusalem that couldnt pay the ransom after jerusalem was captured.

I think the character of Balian in the movie was partly modeled around Baldwin as well, namely the affair with sybilla and the conflict with Guy.

This is one of the reasons i cant wait for the submod, all of these characters will be there.

ntb_15 said:
I thought balian was quite noble, i read somewhere that he offered himself as prisoner to saladin in exchange for freeing all the other citizens of jerusalem that couldnt pay the ransom after jerusalem was captured.

I think the character of Balian in the movie was partly modeled around Baldwin as well, namely the affair with sybilla and the conflict with Guy.

This is one of the reasons i cant wait for the submod, all of these characters will be there.

Good point, indeed.

I don't know if he was noble or not, but my opinion is that he was quite a complex man, and that he tried to do noble things to win glory and fame.

Still, that doesn't mean that there were not pious and noble characters back then. I also think that Godfrey de Bouillon was really the almost-saint knight, fervorous and quite humble for a knight, the chronicles describe. But in the case of Balian, it's not the same.

Anyway, I hope Raymond of Tripoli will recieve Jeremy Iron's face :wink:

Cèsar de Quart said:
Anyway, I hope Raymond of Tripoli will recieve Jeremy Iron's face :wink:
Of course, i never realised untill now that Tiberias was modeled after Raymond. I always thought he was a made up character like Godfrey.

Anyway, I hope Raymond of Tripoli will recieve Jeremy Iron's face
already done :mrgreen:
but i dont want to  do a KoH mod,altought it was awsomely done,Ficus is doing it,i will be more creative,also i like to place the mod between 2nd and third crusade and there wasnt much heraldry on clothes.What i want to do is portarit the crusader states with their less known nobility,not only the notoricaly known persons,it will be great if we can have also the barony and princedoms portraied,so its not the three major factions of Antioch,Jerusalem and Tripoli,but also the county of Jaffa,Outerjordan etc,that would make the crusader states weaker and then the third crusade can be scripted,that would be kick ass :razz:

kuauik said:
but i dont want to  do a KoH mod,altought it was awsomely done,Ficus is doing it,i will be more creative,also i like to place the mod between 2nd and third crusade and there wasnt much heraldry on clothes.What i want to do is portarit the crusader states with their less known nobility,not only the notoricaly known persons,it will be great if we can have also the barony and princedoms portraied,so its not the three major factions of Antioch,Jerusalem and Tripoli,but also the county of Jaffa,Outerjordan etc,that would make the crusader states weaker and then the third crusade can be scripted,that would be kick ass :razz:
Indeed, but it will need some kind of better diplomacy to simulate alliances.

ntb_15 said:
Of course, i never realised untill now that Tiberias was modeled after Raymond. I always thought he was a made up character like Godfrey.
He is not modeled, Tiberias is meant to be Raymond III. The screenplay writer just explained that people in Hollywood are "lazy readers" and would probably mix him up with Reynald. Balian's father is indeed a homage to Godfrey of Bouillon.

kuauik said:

I'm totally in for the research! I already tried to make some mod set on the Crusades, so I still got the research I made, because I wanted to set it just before the Third Crusade.

Cèsar de Quart said:
kuauik said:

I'm totally in for the research! I already tried to make some mod set on the Crusades, so I still got the research I made, because I wanted to set it just before the Third Crusade.
oh iam happy to hear it :razz:

Cuthalion said:
ntb_15 said:
He is not modeled, Tiberias is meant to be Raymond III. The screenplay writer just explained that people in Hollywood are "lazy readers" and would probably mix him up with Reynald. Balian's father is indeed a homage to Godfrey of Bouillon.

Well, Raymond was count of Tripoli through his wife. And, actually, I regret that they didn't include his speech, one of the greatest speeches we have from the Middle Ages. In it, he's begging the King to stay in Jerusalem while Saladin is besieging Tiberias. I don't have the speech right now, but it goes something like "For the sake of this kingdom and your crown, which I serve, do not rescue Tiberias. Although I have my wife and my estates there, don't go".

He was one of those few great, truly great men that you cannot desdain as a myth. Both Christians and Arabs spoke marvels of him. He was well-learned, curious, tempered, intelligent, hungry for knowledge and magnanimous. A reasonable wise man, still strong and able to fight as well.

A pity those two paranoid brothers, the petty kings of Damascus and Aleppo, Ridwan and Duqaq, are not there anymore. Such a good source of quests...

Cèsar de Quart said:
Cuthalion said:
ntb_15 said:

Well, Raymond was count of Tripoli through his wife. And, actually, I regret that they didn't include his speech, one of the greatest speeches we have from the Middle Ages. In it, he's begging the King to stay in Jerusalem while Saladin is besieging Tiberias. I don't have the speech right now, but it goes something like "For the sake of this kingdom and your crown, which I serve, do not rescue Tiberias. Although I have my wife and my estates there, don't go".

He was one of those few great, truly great men that you cannot desdain as a myth. Both Christians and Arabs spoke marvels of him. He was well-learned, curious, tempered, intelligent, hungry for knowledge and magnanimous. A reasonable wise man, still strong and able to fight as well.

A pity those two paranoid brothers, the petty kings of Damascus and Aleppo, Ridwan and Duqaq, are not there anymore. Such a good source of quests...
thumbs up for Riddley who hired Jeremy Irons for the role,its a shame that he is not in the movie more often

kuauik said:
thumbs up for Riddley who hired Jeremy Irons for the role,its a shame that he is not in the movie more often

A shame, yes...

Now, Ridley should finish his medieval triology with a film about the Albigensian Crusade. And hire Weta again, at least they know that they didn't use sallets in the XIIIth Century.

Back
Top Bottom