Users who are viewing this thread

You should add a system where you can join lords' party as a normal soldier, you would get assigned equipment, given food and coin as a salary and be grown in the troop tiers of that faction till you decide to go out of the party.

I think this is from the World of Ice and Fire mod for Mount&blade Warband.

It from freelancer. it's part of a lot of mods for warband. It'd be a little weird for a noble to just join up as a regular recruit though.

At the begining you are no one, later you can become a mercenary and in tier 2 or 3 you can ask to be a noble. I think that for the nature of a Sandbox roleplaying game like this, and thinking that at the begining you can be even just a lotter, it is coherent to be able to be just a regular recruit. Actually, in higher tiers of some troops there are nobles as units.

+1

Always loved freelancer. Would be good to be given command over infantry if you max out the troop tree. or archers/cavalry respectively

At the begining you are no one, later you can become a mercenary and in tier 2 or 3 you can ask to be a noble. I think that for the nature of a Sandbox roleplaying game like this, and thinking that at the begining you can be even just a lotter, it is coherent to be able to be just a regular recruit. Actually, in higher tiers of some troops there are nobles as units.
At the beginning of THIS game you are a noble, you can ask to become a vassal but you are always a noble. As it stands right now, it'd be weird to join another noble's party as a regular recruit. I'd love it if they changed the start of this game and didn't force me to be a noble. Maybe the full release will let you choose your start. If not we'll have mods for that eventually.

edit for clarity

Last edited:
Kochobo said:
At the beginning of THIS game you are a noble, you can ask to become a vassal but you are always a noble. As it stands right now, it'd be weird to join another noble's party as a regular recruit. I'd love it if they changed the start of this game and didn't force me to be a noble. Maybe the full release will let you choose your start. If not we'll have mods for that eventually.

Actually, at the beginning of this game your brother tells you to 'make a name and banner like the nobles do', so you technically are no one, just pretending to be someone until you can make it true. You're a clan of one until you hire companions, though the game doesn't ever tell you WHY hiring companions is necessary to rank up your clan, and they really shouldn't be called companions anyway because that isn't the role they fill in Bannerlord. You're basically hiring your own 'lords', except...not.

And I am personally hoping they'll eventually branch out and give us more options for the game start. Having just one way to start the game isn't what M&B has been known for, and for all these games have done well, storytelling hasn't been on the list, same as most sandboxes. Bannerlord is proving no different.

I'd love to see freelancer brought in and potentially upgraded. Especially if you could develop a relationship with whichever lord you picked, become some kind of officer, etc. If you want to keep the silly dragon banner that is for some reason held by two bandits and an injured doctor, give it to your chosen lord instead of the kingdom leader and deal with the fallout as their right hand man, so to speak.

I would imagine that this sort of feature would belong as a mod instead of vanilla. Since crime is expanded on in Bannerlord, I would love the option to serve in a town's garrison and be able to fight criminals, prison escapees, tavern drunks, and a siege. :grin:

Freelancer was a great way to play, and I would welcome it for Bannerlord.

I just hope that more work goes into preventing steamrolls even in long-term playthroughs, else there'll be nothing to do once you retire form the army.

Back
Top Bottom