Jesus Christ, fix your AI

Users who are viewing this thread

How to kill a big group of melee fighters solo;

Method 1: Have a two-handed weapon. Hold D, keep circling and spam left attacks.
Method 2: Be a horse-archer, kite and headshot your pursuers that are after running in a straight line.

Bannerlord AI: NOOOOO, THATS CHEATING YOU HAVE TO STAND AND FIGHT LIKE A MAN.

I´ve 250+ hours in Kenshi and never encountered a single quest with a goal? How to I get them? Or you mean the events in the world that can happen? Those aren´t classic quests in my opinion.

When you join the swampers the leader says "sell some hashish down in Catun for me, cut me half the profit, also if you don't do it in 36 hours I'll kill you". Even in the midgame it's a pretty difficult route, plus you have to be part of the shinobi thieves, but thankfully the game isn't stupid enough to punish you for just lying and handing over the money.

The Shek kingdom has several "go and kill X" quests that lead you to getting the queen's daughter as a companion.

The crab scorchlander guys in the east of the map will let you into their faction if you do their weird crab defence challenge.

There are loads more, most of them are quite obscure and tied to rare NPCs, but they mostly boil down to "go kill X person for me".

When you join the swampers the leader says "sell some hashish down in Catun for me, cut me half the profit, also if you don't do it in 36 hours I'll kill you". Even in the midgame it's a pretty difficult route, plus you have to be part of the shinobi thieves, but thankfully the game isn't stupid enough to punish you for just lying and handing over the money.

Sounds cool, thanks for the info. So it´s Kenshi time again for me :smile: .

Most of what they are whinging about is easy to get around, within the game. Do not join a kingdom until you have been around all the cities, clearing out the gang leaders men. This will up your relationships with all the kingdom you want to joins major lords. Then marry the leader of the kingdoms child. Once you join the Kingdom attack every bandit in sight, upping your influence. Once you have enough influence, the next time your kingdom starts a war, create an army and take a city. You are almost guaranteed to be given the city, and then hit the surrounding castles, you should be given two or three of these as well, due to your popularity. This will up your amount of influence, and should make getting other decisions through easier. Though as other have stated, diplomacy is still under work.
.Do not join a kingdom until
No! we have to do everything super fast before the AI ruins the map! We don't have time do anything bug kick *** or Mochong will own the whole world.
Then marry the leader of the kingdoms child
Bad idea, ruling clan cares about themselves much more then you no matter what. Much better to go for second strongest clan (must have noble bow or no marry)
the next time your kingdom starts a war
They're all always at war. Always, that's a big part of these types of problems.
create an army
I don't need one, ai is only good for auto calc, let them do that while you do live battle without them.
You are almost guaranteed to be given the city
Oh no you're not! I've had one game where I got whatever I wanted and about 10 where the ruler is a **** just takes i t all regardless of popular vote and relations. If you're clan rank 3 they throw whatever castle at you and you can't refuse. Now, any other fief has to be in proximity to that castle or you have very hard time getting it. Lose the castle, lose relations with ruler.
and then hit the surrounding castles
Bad move, now you're stuck with castles forever, much better to capture them later and give them to you future vassals. You can't give anyone a fief you own, sadly.
This will up your amount of influence, and should make getting other decisions
The whole influence and election system only works (maybe) in the bubble of factions set up like starting factions. Once you have large faction, even massive influence and policies to support you wont be enough to stop your stupid vassals from declaring 5 way wars constantly. They won't help or do anything useful so you're basically rewarded for all you work and relations and planing with even bigger endless cluster ****. It's much better to just be alone and beat them all up, or chop off all their heads.

.Do not join a kingdom until
No! we have to do everything super fast before the AI ruins the map! We don't have time do anything bug kick *** or Mochong will own the whole world.
Then marry the leader of the kingdoms child
Bad idea, ruling clan cares about themselves much more then you no matter what. Much better to go for second strongest clan (must have noble bow or no marry)
the next time your kingdom starts a war
They're all always at war. Always, that's a big part of these types of problems.
create an army
I don't need one, ai is only good for auto calc, let them do that while you do live battle without them.
You are almost guaranteed to be given the city
Oh no you're not! I've had one game where I got whatever I wanted and about 10 where the ruler is a **** just takes i t all regardless of popular vote and relations. If you're clan rank 3 they throw whatever castle at you and you can't refuse. Now, any other fief has to be in proximity to that castle or you have very hard time getting it. Lose the castle, lose relations with ruler.
and then hit the surrounding castles
Bad move, now you're stuck with castles forever, much better to capture them later and give them to you future vassals. You can't give anyone a fief you own, sadly.
This will up your amount of influence, and should make getting other decisions
The whole influence and election system only works (maybe) in the bubble of factions set up like starting factions. Once you have large faction, even massive influence and policies to support you wont be enough to stop your stupid vassals from declaring 5 way wars constantly. They won't help or do anything useful so you're basically rewarded for all you work and relations and planing with even bigger endless cluster ****. It's much better to just be alone and beat them all up, or chop off all their heads.
The reason for marrying the Rulers child, is that it increases your relationship with them by 50. That plus you have helped them, means they more often support decisions regarding you.

Last edited:
*Sigh*
I'd be so happy to have a game where campaign map and interactions and diplomacy and everything else is just like Crusader Kings 2 and then when it comes to battle, it turns out into Bannerlord.

*Sigh*
I'd be so happy to have a game where campaign map and interactions and diplomacy and everything else is just like Crusader Kings 2 and then when it comes to battle, it turns out into Bannerlord.

Never played but isnt CK2 considered the best of that genre? Meaning Kingdom management, personality royal intrigue, politics etc IS the game? There is not much else to it besides that though right? -by the look at it - is has no awesome realtime battlefield or anything like that?

Id be ok with just a functioning Cause and Effect mechanism for everything you do in game -attack some Bandits in a region -the local Lords like you unless they have a sh*tty personality etc..Help a Lord in Battle, he remembers you. Ya know -easy stuff that they've DONE BEFORE *Cough Hint*

Never played but isnt CK2 considered the best of that genre? Meaning Kingdom management, personality royal intrigue, politics etc IS the game? There is not much else to it besides that though right? -by the look at it - is has no awesome realtime battlefield or anything like that?

Id be ok with just a functioning Cause and Effect mechanism for everything you do in game -attack some Bandits in a region -the local Lords like you unless they have a sh*tty personality etc..Help a Lord in Battle, he remembers you. Ya know -easy stuff that they've DONE BEFORE *Cough Hint*

It doesn't have real time battles, but it does have battles and yes you have to build armies and focus on your economy, politics, diplomacy, etc. It is more Risk style, but with a lot of different elements to it. I personally like Europa Universalis better, but CK is good too. Waiting for CK3

You really can´t compare Bannerlord/Warband to CK. What they have in common is the medieval setting, that´s it. CK is way more complex then Bannerlord/Warband.

Took me like 20-30 hours to just understand the basics (!) of the game (CK2 when I started playing it). Also the battles are really boring in CK, most of the time the bigger army wins, there is not much strategy involved in the battles (just don´t attack when you have to cross rivers) and you have like no influence on the outcome when they start.

But all other things are so freaking complex and fun, you have so much options in this game. And when you´re a king/douche/whatever you feel like one.

Bannerlord will never be as complex as CK but it also doesn´t need to be. I mean it would be awesome if they would achieve the diplomancy options of CK, but then they´ll need like 100-200 years :wink: .

That´s how a battle screen looks like in CK2:

14A1C07237AAB4ED679D1946182F3F8F89B6BC7E

There is no active option for you to influence it in anyway. Your only have the option to storm the walls when you besiege a city/castle, most of the time you won´t use it because you will lose a lot of men if you even win it, that´s all. You just besiege the city until the enemy surrenders, like it was in real life too most of the time.

I don´t think anyone plays CK for the battles :smile: .

But you can for example gain "thiefs" if you marry your kids in clever ways and stuff like this, stuff that Bannerlord will never have.

Last edited:

Yes, it doesn't have real time battles, it's just announcements popping out on screen informing you how the battle goes/ended. It's more about diplomacy, economics, religion and so on. Very very very detailed (too detailed for many people's tastes. For example I know lots of Total War game players who don't like CK because they think it's too complex). But it indeed has ridiculous amounts of details and historical immersion... Like your relatives can go against you, like it was in real life... And you can jail them, or kill them, or ignore them, but then ANY of your decisions have long lasting effects.

You also have the ability to choose what kind of state you are, how much power the monarch has, how much you give up over nobles,how the dynasty works, who inherits your kingdom when you die - brother first? Or older son? His son after him, or his brother? etc etc etc... and Religions have ton of weight as well.

Waging war is hard. You need casus beli to even start the war and then, gathering enough soldiers is always hard and comes at cost in other fields.

I can't describe it all here now but...if Bannerlord could have 1/20 of details the CK has it would be the best strategy/rpg ever created. Probablywould be one of the best games ever created.

Just my two cents.

Bannerlord will never be as complex as CK but it also doesn´t need to be. I mean it would be awesome if they would achieve the diplomancy options of CK, but then they´ll need like 100-200 years :wink: .
Yeah, kinda what I mean.

Yeah, kinda what I mean.

I know, but that´s like a wet dream and we also would need a way better battle AI then.

Wouldn´t be that much fun when you can kite a 50 men army alone with a bow on a horse.. (I know that there aren´t like small battles like this in CK).

:wink:

But a best of both games would really be awesome but will probably never happen :sad: .

I would be happy if Bannerlord would have like 3% of all options that CK offers. Marry my son to the daughter who will be the queen of whatever faction for example to get the crown of this faction into my family with "some help" :grin:

But I don´t expect this to be possible, but it would be awesome.

I know, but that´s like a wet dream and we also would need a way better battle AI then.

Wouldn´t be that much fun when you can kite a 50 men army alone with a bow on a horse.. (I know that there aren´t like small battles like this in CK).

:wink:

But a best of both games would really be awesome but will probably never happen :sad: .

I would be happy if Bannerlord would have like 3% of all options that CK offers. Marry my son to the daughter who will be the queen of whatever faction for example to get the crown of this faction into my family with "some help" :grin:

But I don´t expect this to be possible, but it would be awesome.
Yeah, it's very hard to implement and mix those two games together. They are too different. But as you say, best of two would be so awesome. Like traits of the monarchs and nobles to work and dynasty lines and interactions... But that level of detail and AI will be extremely hard to pull off.

Yeah while that sort of detail sounds amazing -that in of itself sounds like a nightmare as a game for my tastes. Dont get me wrong, i like and appreciate deep plot and character lines but i like it in the backround -in which i could choose to engage or not and still have fun on my battlefields

If you think about you have Bannerlord on one end of the spectrum with CK2 on the other with Total war sitting in the middle. Bannerlord has real time battles -and they are VERY hard to calibrate. But it severely lacks in the diplomacy/kingdom department. CK2 (sounds like) is on the other extreme, chalk full of diplomacy and intrigue, yet a brief glance at its battle screen shows me where all their resources went (hint: wasnt there). With Total War sitting firmly in the middle, much more believable kingdom/war strategies and a decent realtime battle field -yet much easier to calibrate than a bannerlord. In Total War, if you want Pikeman to have better defense against Cavalry its a simple variable bump -not needed to be sorted out in 3d space in real time.

Total War isn´t really in the middle. It´s still more complex than Bannerlord but still so far away from CK. Not talking about only the battles but overall.

In Total War you still need to take so much decisions like:

- what province to conquer next / or even defend
- what building to build
- what troops to recruit
- who to ally with
- build a new army or invest the money in something else

All three games can´t be really compared. But when it comes to down to options to influence the game / decisions to make:

1. CK
2. TW
3. Bannerlord

Decisions you make in Bannerlord:

- which workshop do I buy first/second

I mean for real, if you take 10 vlandian recruits first or 10 battanian doesn´t really make a difference at all. If you are a vassal of faction X and they just get steam rolled you can just withdraw and go on without any disadvantage. It´s not even an issue to rejoin the same faction a few days later most of the time.

If you beat a lord he´ll be back in a few ingame days again with his army. And so on.

It doesn´t feel like that any decision has any impact in Bannerlord. The only thing that matters is money because you can buy peace/thief/troops/vassals/everything with it. And there are two ways to earn money:

- fight a lot to sell loot/prisoners/ransom lord
- abuse smithing until you can create javelins and then you won´t have to worry about money ever again

Last edited:
Total War isn´t really in the middle. It´s still more complex than Bannerlord but still so far away from CK. Not talking about only the battles but overall.

In Total War you still need to take so much decisions like:

- what province to conquer next / or even defend
- what building to build
- what troops to recruit
- who to ally with
- build a new army or invest the money in something else

All three games can´t be really compared. But when it comes to down to options to influence the game / decisions to make:

1. CK
2. TW
3. Bannerlord

Decisions you make in Bannerlord:

- which workshop do I buy first/second

I mean for real, if you take 10 vlandian recruits first or 10 battanian doesn´t really make a difference at all. If you are a vassal of faction X and they just get steam rolled you can just withdraw and go on without any disadvantage. It´s not even an issue to rejoin the same faction a few days later most of the time.

If you beat a lord he´ll be back in a few ingame days again with his army. And so on.

It doesn´t feel like that any decision has any impact in Bannerlord. The only thing that matters is money because you can buy peace/thief/troops/vassals/everything with it. And there are two ways to earn money:

- fight a lot to sell loot/prisoners/ransom lord
- abuse smithing until you can create javelins and then you won´t have to worry about money ever again
TW is as simplistic as BL in that there are a lot of exploits that can be used. Once you know what buildings you need in TW, your cities soon become money or food making machines. No real thought is required after that. I agree CK is leagues away from the others in decisions required.

One positive note on the 1.4.3 AI is that the clumps defending the inside of the city gate seem to have gotten much better at actually shielding their backs.

Back
Top Bottom