Javelins overpowered?

What do you think?

• Yes

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • No

Votes: 28 71.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I find them a bit overpowered. You can throw them in a bat of an eyelash even while backing away which creates confusing fights when a xxx faction javelin hurler beats a Rhodok sergeant armed with a huge shield. When the sergeant is close enough to hug the hurler and brings his sword up to strike, the javelin dude just somehow throws a javelin through him in 0.000666 seconds while he doesn't really have the space to even extend his arm.

I think it would be fine if it would take just a tad longer to throw the javelin once you click the button. What do you think?

Indeed, I find that it's the same with archers and Xbowmen, they just hold their bow up until you get close and whammo right in the face one shot KO. They need to make it so that your crosshair STEADILY gets so big that it can go anywhere.

indeed it's not just extremely annoying and gives archers the same capabilities as a spearmen, it's also extremely unrealistic, since it'd be impossible to keep a bow at maximum tension constantly (and crossbows steady with the weight on your arm and breathing etc.). I'd say let the crosshair be focused for a few seconds and after that let it go wider reasonably fast. 

Toth said:
indeed it's not just extremely annoying and gives archers the same capabilities as a spearmen, it's also extremely unrealistic, since it'd be impossible to keep a bow at maximum tension constantly (and crossbows steady with the weight on your arm and breathing etc.). I'd say let the crosshair be focused for a few seconds and after that let it go wider reasonably fast. 
Mabons said:
Indeed, I find that it's the same with archers and Xbowmen, they just hold their bow up until you get close and whammo right in the face one shot KO. They need to make it so that your crosshair STEADILY gets so big that it can go anywhere.
It's different problem than with javelins. And to remove this, we just need shield-bash - to brake their aiming and cut them with sword :grin:

btw. I'm one of that archers :razz:

They could make the javelin / arrow / bolt not fire if an enemy is too close in front. Just like when you would  hit a friendly with a sword, there's no cut. So the tactic wouldn't be usable at all.
And a button to sprint short distances, for footmen to close in fast on foes running backwards.

Toth said:
It does. And it doesn't matter if you're close enough to the archer to fill the reticule.

It's easy enough to deal with though, sword swings cover a decent arc to either side of the character model. Arrows don't.

Nahkuri said:
As the majority seems to think that they're just fine, could I at least see some arguments why it is so?

A- you only get a few.

B- it's VERY inacurate, so any range fight of any kind = you dead

C- it's realistic. forget the javelin mechanics. say they're rocks. if somebody whipped a 3 lb rock at your face point blank, it's going to hurt.

scythe111 said:
C- it's realistic. forget the javelin mechanics. say they're rocks. if somebody whipped a 3 lb rock at your face point blank, it's going to hurt.

That is a good point. Good for me, though, I never claimed they make too much damage. I'm complaining that a) hurling them takes only a nanosecond, and b) you can throw them from a very close distance. I can't say for sure, as I haven't been throwing all that many javelins IRL lately, but I can't seemyself being able to throw a javelin at arms length with enough force for it to stick to a wall.

From a range throwing weapons are fine as far as I'm concerned, but insta-throw at hugging distance feels a bit like a dirty trick to me. Fortunately that requires some skill, so they're not ridiculously unbalanced.

Nahkuri said:
scythe111 said:

That is a good point. Good for me, though, I never claimed they make too much damage. I'm complaining that a) hurling them takes only a nanosecond, and b) you can throw them from a very close distance. I can't say for sure, as I haven't been throwing all that many javelins IRL lately, but I can't seemyself being able to throw a javelin at arms length with enough force for it to stick to a wall.

From a range throwing weapons are fine as far as I'm concerned, but insta-throw at hugging distance feels a bit like a dirty trick to me. Fortunately that requires some skill, so they're not ridiculously unbalanced.

i see what you're getting at, and i can understand your frustration haha.

throwing skill should affect the speed more dramatically than it does. maybe a player that has 300 throwing can launch one in .3 seconds, but someone with <200 should be more like 2 seconds.

also, if they can't extend their arm for the throw, it shouldn't do any more damage than just stabbing someone with it does (which might still be significant).

but i disagree that accuracy should depend inversely on time for a throw. if you've ever thrown anything in r/l, you'll know that the more you think about it, the better throw you'll eventually get. BUT! a fix for this would be that someone with a javelin out and cocked walks VERY slowly, so you can perform some maneuvers around them.

(this is getting a bit too far, but what about a shield slam?? no damage, but a slight stun? and you wouldn't even have to drop your guard for it)

that being said, i don't see developers changing this drastically any time soon. not that it's not a good idea, just that there are simpler fixes for this at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom