Things that need fixing:
Things I forgot:
- The most recent patch has shifted around the perks in some of the silliest ways, removing ash throwing spear from clan warrior but giving recruits pilas. There still isn't any "Meaningful choices" on most classes, there is still a best way to play.
- The complete lack of throwing weapons on heavy infantry sounded like a good move on paper but it's now allowing cavalry to run free all over the multiplayer. In the same patch you removed short spears in favour of long spears but those seem to bounce more often than not. Short spears work better or at least I notice this when playing Khuzait or Aserai with their infantry classes. On the topic of throwing weapons, skirmisher classes with different throwing weapons need a different mechanic for switching between the weapons because right now spawning with a throwing spear javs and a melee weapon means you have to switch twice to get to your melee. I am aware of the ability to bind weapon slots but it's different for each class I believe. Perhaps a button that you can bind that switches to a melee weapon?
- Archery actually feels pretty spot on right now, but the crossbows are ridiculous compared to bows. I don't know what TW plans to do but I still think sheathing a crossbow should unload it(so when you reload you are first pulling the string back, and then inserting the bolt, it should unload the bolt so you have to do the second part again) and giving them a little longer reload time would give people more chance to punish a crossbow player. Perhaps do the same as you did with bows and have light crossbows that load fast but do less damage and then an Arbalest that can potentially one shot heavy armoured dudes with a headshot but takes an age to load.
- The completely inconsistent way some maces are faster, some swords are faster, some axes are faster, and some are complete dog****. Right now, the only mace that sucks completely and should not be taken is the one that the Khuzait Spear Inf and Battanian Oathsworn use, they both have 88 swing speed. IMO this is actually how it should be, but we see other maces with 92, 94, 96 swing speed that is faster than swords and axes. There is no downside to those weapons, they damage through armour and are faster than swords, so why bother with the swords? I still don't see any noticeable difference when using an axe on shields, so again, why take an axe? The only one I see people use consistently is the Varyag one because the sword sucks and the mace sacrifices armour. This kind of thing is part of the reason there isn't really a meaningful choice. (I will admit, the Legionary Axe is also a good one, but you lose the spear[a weapon that gives you some utility] to gain a weapon that really doesn't outperform the mace they get anyways)
- Yeah sure in competitive games, menavlion and glaive cavalry are not really used, but in public games they are still stupid, they still catch you out in the weirdest ways, watching a guy start his swing from one side of his horse, mis me, and then hit me on the other side with the very end of his swing and still one shot me, that just doesn't sit right. The sweet spots, the damage, or just remove them from horseback altogether, something can be done about them, as it stands they are just noob stomping weapons and I don't think it's encouraging new players to play the game for much longer when they are one shot by this stuff. (It's also ridiculous in singleplayer )
- Cav hitboxes are still wonky as all hell. Rearing from behind has supposedly been fixed but I've done it to someone twice now in the latest patch, and I don't have to search far in my memory for times I've hit a cav's head running straight at me and it whiffing as he couches me. Hitting someone on top of their horse as well is fairly dodgy, and I see the "Good" cav players are using this to full advantage by basically tanking hits while they swing away because they know I probably can't hit them anyways. On top of all this, the shield coverage on horseback just doesn't compare to being on foot, it seems to simultaneously cover everything and nothing. Shields sometimes stop you rearing a cav also when there is just no plausible way it can stop my spear hitting the horse head or neck.
- The matchmaking has been absolutely atrocious as well. If my rating is so high that I have to pretty much constantly carry 5 new players versus 6 "ok" players(By ok I mean people who have been around a bit) then that doesn't encourage me to play skirmish, that encourages me to just wait till I have a couple of friends to stack the queue with and that just creates the same problem it was designed to fix. Not only that but as soon as I start stacking I am making my rating higher because it is hard to lose when you can choose your team!
- I'm on the fence that cav horses actually needs any reduction in armour or health because that just makes them more susceptible to being picked off by archer before the fights even begin. Instead I think there needs to be some mechanic that prevents them from just double tapping W out of any bad situation they are caught in. 9/10 times I am caught by inf double tapping W gets me out with enough health to spare, just imagine if I couldn't do that. Perhaps rearing should disable that for a short time?
- Spawn points in skirmish need to be pickable, I've seen that in a competitive game today, for some reason one player spawned alone in a different spawn point from the rest of us and got found and surrounded by enemy cav before any of us could help him. This could easily be avoided if we could select spawn points. Also stops frustrating RNG losses where I could have made it to a flag if I spawned in the close spawn but I spawned in the far spawn.
- Another thing that has been brought up on the board before but I want to point out again is the complete lack of a weight stat and how basic the selection screen is. Having a comparison tab, like, if I hover over a stronger shield, how much movement speed I lose picking this shield, how much my weight increases etc. Same with armour, heavier weapons etc. Also the strange case of weapons that can't thrust having a thrust stat, bows having a length stat etc.
- The way custom servers currently work leaves a lot to be desired. It still kicks us out at the end of a game, the scoreboard scrolls up automatically at the end of a game. The gold system is kind of whack in TDM and Siege(Seriously attackers swim in gold once they start capturing points). You should probably rent out a server for clans to chill on as well, as it stands they invade our only duel server sometimes. Speaking of duel server, put infinite gold or something on it.
- Siege is pretty enjoyable with the friendly fire now, I find myself playing it more and more.
- Crushthrough only on hammers, the reduction in throwing weapons, melee fights now feel much more grittier and intense instead of a mexican standoff of kiting back and forth to get a throwing off.
- I definitely feel a difference between a longbow and a shortbow now, and that makes archery a lot more interesting personally.
- I recently started playing some competitive games and the game really shines the best in those, regrettably with class limits in place it does make the game more enjoyable to play.
- The recent patch made non cav slow on horses and non archers inaccurate with bows, a great step in the right direction. Now just make archers melee a little worse to even it out.
Things I forgot:
- Kicks are kind of not ok, it feels like a duel between equally good players lives and dies by kicks landing or not. Groupfights quite often come down to one guy dying and then the rest using their numbers to push people into bad positioning and getting kickslashed. I don't think we should make them any harder but at least offer some counterplay like chambers or the ability to cancel kicks with a kick of our own, or jumps or something.