[Item] Warhammer 40k OSP (To be moved to the OSP Board)

Users who are viewing this thread

Warhammer 40k OSP
I've made some Warhammer 40k items and I'd like to share them with the community.  :smile:

About Downloads
The downloads arn't posted because these items are still a work in progress. It'll be a few days before I post the links. I'm posting this thread earlier so I can get some help on my models(see 'Help on Accuracy' section).

The Models
Imperial Guard Commissar
Heavy WIP, still missing a bunch of stuff.
Boots and gloves from Native
lordcommissaruniform3.png

Imperial Guardsman(Cadian Style)
Only minor modifications to do.
Boots and gloves from Native
flakarmor2.png

Help on Accuracy
Honestly, I don't know much about Warhammer 40k. I don't have any of the video games, table top games, or books so all my info and references are gathered from Wikis and Google image searches. For those Warhammer 40k fans out there, critique on the accuracy of these models are appreciated.  :razz:

Hey, very nice of you to share this work with the community :smile:

First, should note that I played Rogue Trader (the great-grandaddy of 40K) so various details of the art have changed a bit here and there.
1.  Commissar:  Needs moar skulls.  Seriously!  Study the imagery of 40K, and the winged skulls of the Emperor (symbols of his eternal life / death, read the backstory some time) are a big, big deal.  Yup, looks silly- kind've Waffen SS officers turned up to 11.  But it's how they should look.  Add some boxiness to the uniform shoulders; add a shoulder-board with braid, deepen the chest, and put a big mutha of a skull on the chest, either as a pendent or as a gilt emblem. 

Commissars should look a bit larger-than-life and according to canon are usually superior soldiers, as well as being officers, as they're often required to take command and fill a role something like a Captain or a Lieutenant in the Imperial Guard, but also are political officers who are responsible for enforcing the will of the Emperor via lethal force; imagine Schwarzenegger in that getup and you're about right.

One thing you could do that would really help with Commissars, in terms of the look, is building in bionic eyes or patches into their hats to replace an eye (don't ask why, but usually it's just one eye- guess it looks cooler).

Also important is their weaponry; they're about the only guys in the Imperial Guard (other than whatever special Guard stuff has since been added since I quit playing) that carry Bolt Pistols or Plasma Pistols, which are both considerably more powerful weapons than Lasguns, and, since they're often heirloom weapons, they're symbols of rank. 

While the officer class of the Imperial Guard is usually depicted as being nobility, Commissars are, by virtue of their special position outside the normal chain of command, both men (and occasionally women) who fight with the troops and are also expected to look and occasionally act as the hand of the Emperor, dispensing His justice.  Try to make them feel less like ordinary dudes, basically.

2.  Guard.  Basically, there's no such thing as a "standard Imperial Guard"; it's one of the running gags of the 40K universe.  Imperial guards are supposed to be standardized conventional infantry; however, every planet that raises units of them invariably adds a few special touches.  For example, some Guard units are ex-gang members from Hive Worlds (think: planet-covering cities), so they'll have a lot of tattoos, weird bionics, wear the dried ears of their enemies, and so forth.  Some carry very non-standard equipment; some even wear suits of powered armor.

For example, this is an Imperial Guard:

tumblr_ls17foNi8K1r33zbho1_500.jpg

But you're going for a stereotypical standard Guardsman, and that's fine.  To get him right, a few things need alteration. 

The first thing that hit me was the helmet.  The helmets of the Guard fit tightly; I know that's a bit of a pain on this engine but I'd bring the inner edge in quite a lot and try to structure it so the clipping isn't terribly obvious.

The second thing is the armor. 

The bottom edge of the chest / back plate needs to come down a bit; usually (but not always, lol) it pretty much comes down to the waist, but not over it (unlike modern body armor).  Check multiple references; you'll see that it's not standardized, but I personally think the full-chest look is a lot more, um, practical-looking:

images

Imperial_Guard_Infantryman_by_Duffield03.jpg

The shoulder pads aren't nearly thick enough, and should cover more of the front and back of the arm:

imperial_guard_lg.gif

Usually the tuck-in at the waist is more obvious, with a stronger flare where the greatcoat exits the belt, and the belt's usually brown.  Boots flare more at the tops, the pants aren't quite as baggy.  Just little crap here and there, basically.

Lastly, painting style:  moar contrast; paint in stronger AO, bring out the shapes a bit more.  They both feel a bit flat and bland atm; with good paint, normalmap and spec, they can really shine.

Thanks guys, especially Xenoargh for that extremely helpful critique.

More skulls it is then! I still need to add a sash and epaulets on the shoulders, I'll be sure to put skulls on those too. Boxiness to the shoulder sounds good but arn't their suppose to be epaulets instead of shoulder-boards? According to all the pictures and the 40k wiki they wear epaulets. I did notice that almost every commissar has only one real eye, which I feel is ridiculous. But I was thinking of including an eyepatch or bionic eye in the hat, my question is, won't the face customization of Warband make it hard to get the eye to fit right? Or does the helmet mold to the face?

For the Imperial Guardsmen I was going for a Cadian style(I actually had 'Cadian Style' in parenthesis next to the 'Imperial Guardsmen' in my first draft of the thread but I forgot to include it again  >.<). About the backplate, I'm hesitant to do that because I'll need to remap and paint some parts, so I'll probably make a variation that covers more of the body in the future. Believe me, it was extremely painful for me to model the armor so exposing, but I wanted to follow the majority of references as close as possible. It's still hard for me to believe that in Warhammer's proposed future, humans are sent to war with basically no armour. I'll definitely need more help on the painting, I'm really bad at that  :razz:

Again thanks so much for the critique, I may need help making those changes you mentioned, stick around?  :grin:

To be honest I believe the Cadians are more "uniform" with each other than other legions (with some individualistic stuff). Except maybe the Mordians (no individualistic things, at all.).

Would love to see some Catachan IG and some Tallarn.

Hey, I'm glad that was helpful; you're right, they use epaulets, my bad.  Anyhow, in terms of styling the shoulders, a lot of the illustrations show them with the padded-shoulder look- it gives them wider-looking shoulders and makes them more impressive.  Not too tricky, rigging-wise- those verts can get the same weighting as the shoulders, instead of being weighted heavily on the arms.  Then again, if you look at the really awesome illustrations, it's obvious that the artists exaggerated their proportions in general; 40K is not an anatomically-accurate universe, heh.

I  can't really do much other than offer (hopefully constructive and supportive) critique for this; I don't work on IP that I neither own nor have rights to redistribute without doing more than minor bending of EULAs, because of other things I do outside this place. 

Not that I'm saying it's not OK to do this, legally; Games Workshop's current mod policy is much cooler than it used to be, and they're not terribly likely to bother people making accurate representations of their 40K IP for Warband.  It's just a thing I can't do.  Just make sure to include the credit thingie / disclaimer they require in any release you do.  If you're not sure what I mean, look it up, IIRC it's easy to find via Google now.

You'll be wanting to include this in a .txt file :

40k, Adeptus Astartes, Battlefleet Gothic, Black Flame, Black Library, the Black Library logo, BL Publishing, Blood Angels, Bloodquest, Blood Bowl, the Blood Bowl logo, The Blood Bowl Spike Device, Cadian, Catachan, Chaos, the Chaos device, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Cityfight, City of the Damned, Codex, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Darkblade, Dark Eldar, Dark Future, Dawn of War, the Double-Headed/Imperial Eagle device, 'Eavy Metal, Eldar, Eldar symbol devices, Epic, Eye of Terror, Fanatic, the Fanatic logo, the Fanatic II logo, Fire Warrior, the Fire Warrior logo, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Genestealer, Golden Demon, Gorkamorka, Great Unclean One, GW, GWI, the GWI logo, the Hammer of Sigmar logo, Horned Rat logo, Inferno, Inquisitor, the Inquisitor logo, the Inquisitor device, Inquisitor:Conspiracies, Keeper of Secrets, Khemri, Khorne, the Khorne logo, Kroot, Lord of Change, Marauder, Mordheim, the Mordheim logo, Necromunda, Necromunda stencil logo, Necromunda Plate logo, Necron, Nurgle, the Nurgle logo, Ork, Ork skull devices, Sisters of Battle, Skaven, the Skaven symbol devices, Slaanesh, the Slaanesh logo, Space Hulk, Space Marine, Space Marine chapters, Space Marine chapter logos, Talisman, Tau, the Tau caste designations, Tomb Kings, Trio of Warriors, Twin Tailed Comet Logo, Tyranid, Tyrannid, Tzeentch, the Tzeentch logo, Ultramarines, Warhammer, Warhammer Historical, Warhammer Online, Warhammer 40k Device, Warhammer World logo, Warmaster, White Dwarf, the White Dwarf logo, and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Blood Bowl game, the Warhammer world, the Talisaman world, and the Warhammer 40,000 universe are either ®, TM and/or © Copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2011, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

Eiríkr Rauði said:

40k, Adeptus Astartes, Battlefleet Gothic, Black Flame, Black Library, the Black Library logo, BL Publishing, Blood Angels, Bloodquest, Blood Bowl, the Blood Bowl logo, The Blood Bowl Spike Device, Cadian, Catachan, Chaos, the Chaos device, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Cityfight, City of the Damned, Codex, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Darkblade, Dark Eldar, Dark Future, Dawn of War, the Double-Headed/Imperial Eagle device, 'Eavy Metal, Eldar, Eldar symbol devices, Epic, Eye of Terror, Fanatic, the Fanatic logo, the Fanatic II logo, Fire Warrior, the Fire Warrior logo, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Genestealer, Golden Demon, Gorkamorka, Great Unclean One, GW, GWI, the GWI logo, the Hammer of Sigmar logo, Horned Rat logo, Inferno, Inquisitor, the Inquisitor logo, the Inquisitor device, Inquisitor:Conspiracies, Keeper of Secrets, Khemri, Khorne, the Khorne logo, Kroot, Lord of Change, Marauder, Mordheim, the Mordheim logo, Necromunda, Necromunda stencil logo, Necromunda Plate logo, Necron, Nurgle, the Nurgle logo, Ork, Ork skull devices, Sisters of Battle, Skaven, the Skaven symbol devices, Slaanesh, the Slaanesh logo, Space Hulk, Space Marine, Space Marine chapters, Space Marine chapter logos, Talisman, Tau, the Tau caste designations, Tomb Kings, Trio of Warriors, Twin Tailed Comet Logo, Tyranid, Tyrannid, Tzeentch, the Tzeentch logo, Ultramarines, Warhammer, Warhammer Historical, Warhammer Online, Warhammer 40k Device, Warhammer World logo, Warmaster, White Dwarf, the White Dwarf logo, and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Blood Bowl game, the Warhammer world, the Talisaman world, and the Warhammer 40,000 universe are either ®, TM and/or © Copyright Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2011, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.
....Wow.

One thing also, when looking at it, is that from the picture of your model of the guardsman and some actual table top pieces is that, the table top pieces seem to have thicker looking armor.

Eiríkr Rauði said:

No, he technically doesn't have to....

Taking a short break from working on these, lots of other projects to work on. But continue to post suggestions, I'll be sure to consider them when I work on the items again.

Krieg stuff. If you can modify that WW1 osp most of your work is done for quite a bit of the items.
Grenadier
KriegGren.jpg
Sniper
death_korps_of_krieg_sniper_4_by_dollbutcher-d31k196.jpg
Average Soldier
tumblr_ll9qutDU9p1qjwy0no1_400.jpg

Really, Shredz OSP Lifeless files has a Mark 12 sniper rifle, and with some modification would look alot like the sniper in your pictures

Back
Top Bottom