It would be nice if the Devs added: Breathing, (more) Yelling, Ambient sounds & Death cries

Users who are viewing this thread

Greetings,
inspiration for this request
I had just finished the Series Game of Thrones for the first time ever & was intrigued on the "Battle of the Bastards" episode where two huge armies went at it and we as the viewers were able to see a close up of people fighting.
FrighteningSickBug-size_restricted.gif

The Current state of things
when fighting, the character does make "some" yelling noises when swinging, but what can really help the game become better is the usage of heavy breathing for ALL 'agents' (NPC, Player, etc.) as well as usage of ambient sounds, yelling, and death cries.

how does breathing make the game better?
when running, the character you play or any individual on the field should be breathing because its natural, especially if they run longer distances- maybe this can tie in with the Athletic perk that your breathing is not as loud or something aesthetically along those lines. when in a fight, it is somewhat awkward hearing silent movement and then a yell of a swing, if the heavy breathing idea is implemented this would easily mitigate the problem.

what do ambient sounds sound like?
I take this inspiration from Total War: Attila- When your soldiers are lined up and waiting they talk among each other in the ranks formed of various things (check your gear, trash talk, if I die do 'x' for my kin, sneezing, coughing, laughing, etc.) this gives each soldier in your party "life" and can make you feel like a band of brothers (or sisters if you use mods like I do haha). at the moment they stand and wait like statues, and I feel like if this can be fixed it will make the game really feel alive!

Death sounds?
I don't think I have to explain but the bloodier the sounds and more diverse, the more invested you become in battle ( I already feel bad seeing my troops die, this just gives it more 'OOMPH')

why yelling?
when charging into battle, it feels somewhat quiet for what they are about to do, adding various warcries charging into battle would just feel in short: badass.

Final thoughts

I LOVE how bannerlord already has individual voices that (at a mass) create HUGE and realistic war sounds, but if we can add these in as well, I'm sure it can up the factor of immersion! I know this wont be in the next update, but I want to atleast share my ideas with you and see where it goes.

maybe this will be implemented, maybe something better will come from this- I love this game and only want to see it become even better!

Thank you for reading, any comments, suggestions? I read them all!

they should also bring back the encampment feature back from warband but with a few extra additions.
For example that armies get slowed down after a set amount of ingame time if they don't rest in cities or encampment stance on the map. That way you would also get rid of chasing enemy armies for 6 months ingame time without a break.

Awesome suggestions OP !! This game needs little things like this to bring immersion. More horse noises, more steel on steel clangs variety. How about like at the beginning of battle and troops are standing still cause of ordered, once in a while a soldier farts loudly near by. haha

On the topic of sound, what’s the deal with the acoustics? Duel server sounds are like an echo chamber although the environment is outdoors. The mix needs to be adjusted.

Well I mentioned this before, but I want to be traumatized by a battle. Gore, screams for help, crawling away, being visually wounded, bleeding, etc. I want to be traumatized so badly, the doctors treating PTSD would just write in "bannerlord" as diagnosis

Hm. I can relate with the feeling of lachesism but I do hope some of that stays in the realm of mods, such as the decapitation mod. Personally, I’m more in line with op’s ideas. I don’t want to be chilled or think the npcs or players dying are suffering gruesome deaths and I’m okay with “cartoon” violence. I prefer how it is to be able to imagine they are getting knocked out or otherwise incapacitated like in Pokémon.

That said, a good soundscape would absolutely sell the “horror” feeling you’re talking about without needing the graphic depictions. Some of the current sounds do sound cartoonish or over the top, and actually the inverse, graphic depictions and cartoonish sound, would have an overall worse effect than the existing animations with excellent sound. Death rattles, exclamations or cries of fear, shock, or despair, wet stuff falling on the ground sounds, voices being cut short, and a large soundscape (not to be confused with an acoustic echo) would give you that ‘ptsd’ experience. It would probably be too intense for me though.

I really like the breathing idea, a quickening breath would do a lot to trick our brains and maybe properly scaled sounds over distance of struggle and a sprinkling of voices with mild terror and urgency being cut short would be enough to illicit an adrenal response. Synchronized ‘cheers’ in the beginning that others have mentioned would also raise some hairs.

The original doom did an excellent job with sound and the thought of some of them still terrifies me! Battlefield Bad Company 2 has some very dated graphics and it’s been years since I’ve played it but I still remember the sounds and they are what truly shocked me more than anything else. It didn’t sound like everything was happening right next to you, yet the soundscape was huge, it was loud, and you could hear proof of awful things happening in the distance, and it really was horrifying in the same way saving private ryan was. Here’s a link, it doesn’t have the horrible dying sounds very clear but you can get a sense of just how well done the soundscape is.

So if anyone wants to make some horror/realism mods for blord, the sound is for sure where to start. For the others who are curious about sound, check out foley artists!

Hm. I can relate with the feeling of lachesism but I do hope some of that stays in the realm of mods, such as the decapitation mod. Personally, I’m more in line with op’s ideas. I don’t want to be chilled or think the npcs or players dying are suffering gruesome deaths and I’m okay with “cartoon” violence. I prefer how it is to be able to imagine they are getting knocked out or otherwise incapacitated like in Pokémon.

That said, a good soundscape would absolutely sell the “horror” feeling you’re talking about without needing the graphic depictions. Some of the current sounds do sound cartoonish or over the top, and actually the inverse, graphic depictions and cartoonish sound, would have an overall worse effect than the existing animations with excellent sound. Death rattles, exclamations or cries of fear, shock, or despair, wet stuff falling on the ground sounds, voices being cut short, and a large soundscape (not to be confused with an acoustic echo) would give you that ‘ptsd’ experience. It would probably be too intense for me though.

I really like the breathing idea, a quickening breath would do a lot to trick our brains and maybe properly scaled sounds over distance of struggle and a sprinkling of voices with mild terror and urgency being cut short would be enough to illicit an adrenal response. Synchronized ‘cheers’ in the beginning that others have mentioned would also raise some hairs.

The original doom did an excellent job with sound and the thought of some of them still terrifies me! Battlefield Bad Company 2 has some very dated graphics and it’s been years since I’ve played it but I still remember the sounds and they are what truly shocked me more than anything else. It didn’t sound like everything was happening right next to you, yet the soundscape was huge, it was loud, and you could hear proof of awful things happening in the distance, and it really was horrifying in the same way saving private ryan was. Here’s a link, it doesn’t have the horrible dying sounds very clear but you can get a sense of just how well done the soundscape is.

So if anyone wants to make some horror/realism mods for blord, the sound is for sure where to start. For the others who are curious about sound, check out foley artists!

I agree with you on the fact that it's definitely not for everyone. To get around that, a simple gore setting would be sufficient. It could be added via mods, but on the other hand implementing injury mechanics/additional gore animations and sounds done by game devs ought to be more professional.
And yet all of this is cosmetic, and so much behind current things that need to be added/fixed, that it will only see light if a modder does it.

Well there are also super tiny things that are missing to get a ton more immersion.
Rotten and/or missing teeth
Character in cities with missing limps
Soldiers who are missing one or two fingers
Soldiers who have seen multiple battle should loose 1 or 2 fingers atleast
Headbands for head injuries
This game is all about war (atm) but it lacks every consequence to it.

Well there are also super tiny things that are missing to get a ton more immersion.
Rotten and/or missing teeth
Character in cities with missing limps
Soldiers who are missing one or two fingers
Soldiers who have seen multiple battle should loose 1 or 2 fingers atleast
Headbands for head injuries
This game is all about war (atm) but it lacks every consequence to it.

You really don't like fingers eh? xD +1 for idea

You really don't like fingers eh? xD +1 for idea
I do love fingers of all sorts, big, small, fat, thin, black, white. But you can't tell me you die of old age with all 10 fingers in a world like that. No way
But seriously, its such a tiny detail, but once you see that people miss 1-2 fingers. Or an eye or w/e... then idk, its those small details that give a huge chunk of immersion

I do love fingers of all sorts, big, small, fat, thin, black, white. But you can't tell me you die of old age with all 10 fingers in a world like that. No way
But seriously, its such a tiny detail, but once you see that people miss 1-2 fingers. Or an eye or w/e... then idk, its those small details that give a huge chunk of immersion

I agree.

they should also bring back the encampment feature back from warband but with a few extra additions.
For example that armies get slowed down after a set amount of ingame time if they don't rest in cities or encampment stance on the map. That way you would also get rid of chasing enemy armies for 6 months ingame time without a break.
If they did this I would want the option to turn it off. It sounds really cool, but after a few playthroughs it gets annoying. It's like the stamina system in VC. It sounded great that you could run longer and swing more often with more stamina but in reality you couldn't chase down anyone because the npc's didn't have this restriction.

Back
Top Bottom