It would be nice if the Devs added: Breathing, (more) Yelling, Ambient sounds & Death cries

Users who are viewing this thread

Totally agree with adding the noises, but they need to be tested for possible annoyance first. Some games add a particular sound that is just offensive to the ears. They have done all right with other sounds such as the inventory sounds, so there is reason for optimism. Also, more blood, lot's more blood. Severed limbs... we need to see more of these lying about. Also, the guys that are running away, they should be crying and screaming for their mothers.

Also, wounded guys lying about just moaning, holding some limb in their hands, or maybe extruding guts. If you leave them alone they become a prisoner, but if you finish them off you get their stuff. Oh, and guys running away whilst dragging their fallen comrades, trying to bring them to safety. We show players all the glorious parts of war, but I think the gritty stuff should be in there too. While warring in the game, we should also be reminded why war is so treacherous and atrocious in reality.

Bannerlord has bad sound design but it's all too easy to turn around and say "they need more sounds" or "it needs to sound more like X or Y film / show". I think the game already has enough noise-causing objects, much better is to make it so that (most of the time) the combination of sounds isn't boring or painful to listen to. Right now when two infantry lines clash it's both.

Skip to 2:00

YYYYYYYAAAHAHAHAHHAAAA
URR-HAHA
RRRHRHRHHRHRHRH

with no variation for like 3 minutes at a time. It's all low deep tones like someone's slamming a broken organ. Overall there needs to be:

1. More emphasis on situational background loops for combat rather than every troop creating their own sounds all the time.
2. Pretty much nothing in the lower mid tonal range (where the screams are now) so that the music has "space" and doesn't clash.
3. Absolutely no audible screams if the battle is above a certain size. In Rome 2 Total War (which also has this problem, for the record) some of the sound loops have guys screaming something above the crowd, you can't tell what it is but it's enough to make it seem more like an actual group of people rather than a generic loop of some gruff guys going "URRRRRRR"

Listen to this, and ignore the cringy foreground voice acting. Imagine if bannerlord sounded like this. Imagine if, during the boring standoffs between two melee lines, it wasn't just silence.

I prefer the silence before and after the fighting. Looters may yell randomly but maybe not a ‘professional’ army. Yelling is hard work. I think blord has pretty good battle sounds compared to total war. Maybe the grunts are a little over the top but it’s hard for me to really critique because the problem is the soundscape sounds too small. 300 men stomping forward in full kit shouldn’t sound like kittens playing in a box. The sounds of footsteps, armor and steel, and hoof beats, should definitely be exaggerated. Not so much for realism but for cinematic effect.

Last edited:
I prefer the silence before and after the fighting. Looters may yell randomly but maybe not a ‘professional’ army. Yelling is hard work.

Soldiers in the forward batallions of premodern battles would probably do more yelling than fighting. Being in melee combat is so traumatising and exhausting that two groups could usually only fight for a few minutes before they would be pulled back to psych themselves up again, usually by shouting and throwing insults.

There is textual evidence for most armies having long shouting matches between fighting, like greek hoplite phalanxes, Roman legionaries, most professional armies in the age of gunpowder, and even modern soldiers. There is a napoleonic wars source I remember seeing where russian officers were advised not to start shouting "URAAAAAA!!!" during combat because it would set off the entire army and there was no way to stop them, since the battle was so stressful and they were using the shouting as stress relief.

I see. True, good info, fighting is harder than yelling. I was surmising along the lines of, while fighting one might not be yelling.

Well I mentioned this before, but I want to be traumatized by a battle. Gore, screams for help, crawling away, being visually wounded, bleeding, etc. I want to be traumatized so badly, the doctors treating PTSD would just write in "bannerlord" as diagnosis

That's disgusting, you seem to be a bad person. As someone who loves Deadly Mutilation mod in Skyrim I only want lots of protruding guts, groaning, whimpering, cries, convolving bodies, gaping wounds and such in Bannerlord. But screams for help? Never. :mrgreen:

+1 To what Kentucky says.

Play these two videos at the same time

A little more love in this section wouldn't hurt. The problem I see is the current situation with the pandemic. If we didn't have this, I'm sure Ugurcan Orcun could gather a good number of football fans, record them on a field with ambient sound and then process the tracks digitally.

Last edited:
That's disgusting, you seem to be a bad person. As someone who loves Deadly Mutilation mod in Skyrim I only want lots of protruding guts, groaning, whimpering, cries, convolving bodies, gaping wounds and such in Bannerlord. But screams for help? Never. :mrgreen:
well thanks for the compliments, i'm only seeking "realism". I am somewhat sure if one would be hit with my 160 length battleaxe screams for help and mercy would be present. instead I get robotic pushing towards me regardless of the wounds I incur. one has to agree current battles are somewhat cartoonish and lack gore. but gore is not just guts spilled everywhere, it's more of a NPC decision mechanic, cause currently its very binary, either they attack you recklessly or run away (as if I am letting them go). there is nothing in between, no fear of attacking a particular enemy and changing focus on a weaker one, no regrouping if one was scared for a bit, no wounding mechanics and certainly no cries for mother mercy.

Back
Top Bottom