It has not been 8 years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Why do these need an excuse? They are not beholden to anyone to release the game sooner just because we wish it. Correct me if I'm wrong but did they ever make a commitment to release the game on a certain date and then later renege on it?

Think what you will about the game being early access after 8 years, but they didn't mislead anyone about what we were going to be getting.

Talesworld also warned all of us on the steam store page encouraging us to wait for full release if we want a finished game.

OP said "not been 8 years"
Guess what, no excuse, 8 years.

Last edited:
OP said "not been 8 years"
Guess what, no excuse, 8 years.

Unless you are an investor who gave money to Talesworld, why do you care, though? They could also go bankrupt or decide or get bought up which causes them to scrap the project. All possible. Instead we get an early access release of their attempt to finally bring this project home.

Unless you are an investor who gave money to Talesworld, why do you care, though? They could also go bankrupt or decide or get bought up which causes them to scrap the project. All possible. Instead we get an early access release of their attempt to finally bring this project home.
Let's see... I've pay my money for the game?!
Try to care about your money, man. Or your parents, doesn't matter, it's money, it matters.
And I see Early-Access as "oh ****, our studio has not had a major release since the Viking Conquest expansion 6 years ago. We better release something." And they threw this out there. Do you understand how much that'd hurt a company? I don't see them caring for the project, I see them caring for their investors bailing.
Sucking their **** for doing soddy working isn't gonna get you anything, start to act like a responsible consumer.

Well I love the game and I play it a lot, but I have to admit it doesn't worth €50 (45 on day one)

Will it worth €60 next year (or 2022?) when will it be final? Maybe, we will see about that.

I see it differently tho'. I pay them in order to finish the game. It's like a crowdfounding project, payed upfront.
But what their history tells me? They are incapable to make a finished product and rely on the moders to make it better, on top of that it takes a lot of time.

What do I expect? The game will have a decent playability in one year if not more, with the features that makes it Bannerlord and not Warband enhanced (the current state) unlocked and still bugged, but less bugged than today.

That's the reality whether we accept it or not.

PvP is really fun. I'm hooked on it.
The single player is just horribly unfinished. How do you not have voice actors doing the parts of the villagers etc?
The graphics are from 2010. Skyrim looks better and that came out 9 years ago.

Was this a money grab? Who knows but I feel the money is worth it just for the PvP.
I haven't played single player, I'm not going to ruin that part until they're done or modders fix their game.

LOL So true. I can only stab with mine, even at full gallop and using a lance that's marked as couchable. Even my KNIGHTS LANCE can't be couched. /sigh. *Picks up a Bastard Sword*
Iv has a lance in bannerlord you can couch. A little icon on the side of the screen pops up and you press x to couch it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, this is a hard sell to some people. A lot of people don't know much about software development, never mind game development. Any minor issue will be touted as great failings by some due to misunderstandings about how games are developed.

However it's also a good opportunity to teach people about how much work is put in to make games like Bannerlord!

I think at the root of this is also how much you pay for an early access piece of software. Charging 50 euro's/dollaridoo's/whathaveyou's for an early access project that has been hyped to hell and back and has a really non-transparent development process is either really naive or really intentional. Of course they had to work hard on a new engine, but that doesn't take away the fact that they still decided to release it, and still decided to charge close to an AAA title for their game. And let's also not pretend Taleworlds is the 2 man studio it once was. Taleworlds has plenty of people on their payroll. It's not "a small indie team working on a project close to their heart," it is also "a software development studio that has worked on a well received game for years and has plenty of experience in the field of software development."

It's not strange that people expected more from the game when it was released as early access; especially when a lot of the issues the game had on release day and the days after come down to just plain stupidity. The fact that the engine took so long to make is entirely irrelevant to the fact that a good portion of the items in the game were locked behind MP and inaccessible in the SP. You can't explain that away by handwaving and saying "early access" over and over like it is some sort of magic trick.

++
Such a good thread, i like how you guys put up some old screens to compare, and prove how things changed and slowed down the development.
It shows that Armagan and his team has true passion developing their games. I am 100% certain they are trying and will listen to us, but they need time.

The game is a big buggy mess now i cannot deny but i am happy that i could finally put my hands on it. It gives me the exact same feeling when i first tried M&B when it is version was around .632(?) Hard to remember.
Beside all of this, this is the best EA experience i had in a while.

I think at the root of this is also how much you pay for an early access piece of software. Charging 50 euro's/dollaridoo's/whathaveyou's for an early access project that has been hyped to hell and back and has a really non-transparent development process is either really naive or really intentional. Of course they had to work hard on a new engine, but that doesn't take away the fact that they still decided to release it, and still decided to charge close to an AAA title for their game. And let's also not pretend Taleworlds is the 2 man studio it once was. Taleworlds has plenty of people on their payroll. It's not "a small indie team working on a project close to their heart," it is also "a software development studio that has worked on a well received game for years and has plenty of experience in the field of software development."

It's not strange that people expected more from the game when it was released as early access; especially when a lot of the issues the game had on release day and the days after come down to just plain stupidity. The fact that the engine took so long to make is entirely irrelevant to the fact that a good portion of the items in the game were locked behind MP and inaccessible in the SP. You can't explain that away by handwaving and saying "early access" over and over like it is some sort of magic trick.

I agree with you regarding the issues that seem easily resolved, and the until recently opaque development!

The game was released with a discount of 10% from $49.99, €49.99, £39.99, and an additional 10% discount for people who own a previous Mount & Blade game. We don't know TaleWorlds' financial situation, but as you have pointed out, they are a big studio now with plenty of people on their payroll. Many people will readily accept the discounts for the opportunity to play the game earlier in a less than ideal state.

The game is largely playable, but there is clearly a lot of missing content, some obvious mistakes like the items that were unused in singleplayer, and there are many issues still to resolve. I can see how it could be disappointing for some people. However, TaleWorlds are releasing frequent patches, and there are some developer responses in threads stating their intentions to fix problems that people raise.

The intention of my first post is to say that there are many people who think that solely this incarnation of the game has been worked on for 8 years, which isn't the case. And that this is an opportunity for people to learn more about game development in a positive way.

Last edited:
Sorry but the game looks like it was rushed for a 3 years released and they couldn't even have the time to set path finding on npc's in siege, or to scrip them to not use the mounts and they climb on the walls on the horse trying to charge the enemy!

And I'm sorry when was the first trailer about siege released? 3 years ago??
If anyone wants to tell me it's normal that, in 3 years they didn't have the time to create the only mechanic based on which the main feature of the game will work, after releasing so many trailers about it, it will offend my intelligence.

I understand the argue "we like the combat and the battles" but...
But I don't care for now. I play it and wait for patches and I know it will not be fixed soon. I hope I'm wrong.

So... patience is key. I also want more weapons in the game, even made a thread about it and it's ignored. I also wanted in Warband and never got a proper medieval arsenal. I'm very disappointed about that.
What does it take to put more axes on the market? or create more models? I don't get it.
Where are the morningstars and the war hammers and the halberds, etc? And one Crossbow? That's it???

They don´t need to excuse anything. These arbitrary time limits consumers are setting for developers are part of the reason why we´re being flooded with unfinished titles dressed as full releases (Battlefield 5, Fallout 76, Breakpoint and so on). We know already know that time spent in development is a useless metric to gauge whether a game will be good or not (see The Witcher 3 and Duke Nukem Forever). Let the developers use the time they need whether it be 3 or 8 years. It´s ultimately better for us and the developers themselves.

This a hundred times over. The reality of the matter is that development time is a deadline for the Stockmarket and share holders. My Coworker owns like 500 Shares in whatever company owns Borderlands. He bought them as a long time fan, he was super excited about Borderlands 3.

The game sucked, in his own words - But as a share holder he was massively happy (hypocritically so) because the stocks he bought at like 80$ A piece are now something like 180$ each from all the sales.

Dude was heart broken about one of his favorite game franchises basically killing itself, but super happy about the money and just moved on to a new game series.

The mentality of "We support you, you owe us everything immediately" is so disgusting. They could have Abandoned Mount and Blade, they didn't. It was one of the first EA//Kickstarter games, and turned into a Gem people played for years (and evidently still play today) and I don't see why Bannerlord would end up any different.

I'm all for legitimate criticism, there are quite a few things that do not work, or are not yet implemented. There's no reason for all the posts demanding heads, refunds, or any of the other silly stuff though. It says right in the Steam shop. It's EA. It's incomplete, it's buggy, don't buy it if that's your issue, and if you still paid for it. That's your fault.

They didn't sell you a "Complete" game like Battlefield 5 said they did with an unfinished mess. They've been pretty transparent the whole way through. It's the consumer who had much higher expectations.

PvP is really fun. I'm hooked on it.
The single player is just horribly unfinished. How do you not have voice actors doing the parts of the villagers etc?
The graphics are from 2010. Skyrim looks better and that came out 9 years ago.

Was this a money grab? Who knows but I feel the money is worth it just for the PvP.
I haven't played single player, I'm not going to ruin that part until they're done or modders fix their game.
bannerlord has thousands of npcs on the same scene at the same time, of course the graphics aren’t going to be wonderful. But to say that the graphics absolutely suck is an overstatement, the graphics are actually quite beautiful, and in my opinion better then Skyrim.

bannerlord has thousands of npcs on the same scene at the same time, of course the graphics aren’t going to be wonderful. But to say that the graphics absolutely suck is an overstatement, the graphics are actually quite beautiful, and in my opinion better then Skyrim.
I didn't say they suck. I said they're from 2010, which is true.

I didn't say they suck. I said they're from 2010, which is true.
Did you play warband? Cause the graphics sucked, and yet it’s still played by millions of people. Now, of course it’s all up to personal preference, but if the games good, graphics don’t matter.
personnally, it does not look like a 2010 game. But again, personal preference I guess

bannerlord has thousands of npcs on the same scene at the same time, of course the graphics aren’t going to be wonderful.

I'm sick of hearing this myth. 3D artistry and optimisation have very little to do with each other. You don't make a game run faster by making it look worse. Sure you can turn the graphics settings down in a game, but there is a big difference between that and claiming that bannerlord looks bad just because it has a lot of stuff on screen.

I agree with you regarding the issues that seem easily resolved, and the until recently opaque development!

The game was released with a discount of 10% from $49.99, €49.99, £39.99, and an additional 10% discount for people who own a previous Mount & Blade game. We don't know TaleWorlds' financial situation, but as you have pointed out, they are a big studio now with plenty of people on their payroll. Many people will readily accept the discounts for the opportunity to play the game earlier in a less than ideal state.

The game is largely playable, but there is clearly a lot of missing content, some obvious mistakes like the items that were unused in singleplayer, and there are many issues still to resolve. I can see how it could be disappointing for some people. However, TaleWorlds are releasing frequent patches, and there are some developer responses in threads stating their intentions to fix problems that people raise.

The intention of my first post is to say that there are many people who think that solely this incarnation of the game has been worked on for 8 years, which isn't the case. And that this is an opportunity for people to learn more about game development in a positive way.

Thank you for explaining. I definitely agree to a certain level. Unfortunately, the discounts only amounted to €10,- off my total. That said, they definitely didn't need to offer the discount and I am grateful for it.. where it hurts is that even with the discount to €40,- I still feel like I paid too much for the game in the state it is in now. I mostly play M&B for the SP, so to see how neglected the SP is/appears irked me a little bit. I've played MP for a bit now and while I'm also a little annoyed by the really bad performance on siege (the only mode I'll be playing since I prefer many players in 1 game) I think there is potential there for a €50,- title to be worth purchasing. It's just really really not there yet and it will not be there yet in the foreseeable future.

As a SP player, though, even €50,- is a tough sell for the state of the SP campaign and while I'm sure they are working on stuff, the fact that something as stupid as ''we can't use all the items in the game because.. reasons'' was an issue kind of also signals that, well, they probably didn't test SP very well. This leads me to believe that we shouldn't expect too many changes in the SP campaign as it stands now, which is unfortunate. It's not a campaign worth playing at all.

8 years.. 3 years.. 1 year.. it makes little difference to me at this point. Whether it has been 8 years in the making or 3, the state of the SP campaign is laughable for both of those numbers imo.

Back
Top Bottom