It has been 355 days since the release of this game and Siege battles still do not work

Users who are viewing this thread

Since the launch of this game the siege battles have been on the back burner of the development process for this game. Siege towers are useless, defending AI just stand behind the gate and dont do anything, and archers cant stand where they are supposed to. Devs.....I'm begging you, please fix the Siege Battles.

Realistic Battle Mod has improved sieges more in the past year than any official update. I've just been hoping that they are working on a big overhaul of sieges because it's insane how nothing has changed in a year.

At this point, and with the current pace of meaningful improvements... I think it might be better for the fans if they stopped development on the game altogether, so modders could fix stuff for them without having their mods break all the time.

At this point, and with the current pace of meaningful improvements... I think it might be better for the fans if they stopped development on the game altogether, so modders could fix stuff for them without having their mods break all the time.
Yea if they gave full development ability to modders I think they could develop the game better and faster than the current devs.

There is a lot of jank with sieges, but at the same time I haven't had the same amount of issues with them some people seem too. Assuming I don't knock the walls down and I'm following the ram in I can't think of any time the defenders didn't end up getting hit from my troops coming up the ladders and hitting them from both sides. The stationary guards at the main gate was pretty comical that let me slide around them and just whap away but I sieged a city last night on 1.5.8 for the first time and when we broke the gate they actually came forward and pushed my troops clean out to where I was fighting next to the ram lol, nice surprise and I about got downed before they simply got overwhelmed.

It seems like there are definitely issues with routed troops trying to go down and blocking ladders and towers so something in the ai that commits them once they are on the way up could be a thing. Would also be nice if there was a check that made the ai fill the top of siege towers before lowering the gate instead of one guy doing it and getting insta slaughtered. But all in all I guess I have just been weirdly lucky in never failing a siege due to alot of the issues I've read.

Edit for eating some words; Just sieged Rhemtoil castle, between Seonon and Marunath, Battanian culture castle held by Sturgia at the time if that's relevant and at least on the left of the gate ladder there were two units just staring at each other at the base, I shot the recruit just to see and the other kept on standing then I went back to the gate. After that was breached and we chopped the inner door they rushed out which is still a nice change but they overdid it and fighting outside the walls fully exposed to archers and onagers isn't ideal for the defenders, Responding more is a improvement but maybe they need a threshold they wont push past like the inner or outer gate.

Last edited:
They work a hell of a lot better. I remember getting such intense intense stutters around the gates that were more like freezes down to 0 fps for about 5 seconds, over and over in the first builds. I mean they're obviously not in a great place right now, but I think its easy to forget that they actually have improved the past year. Probably because they still aren't yet the dynamic battles we were shown in the 2016 siege defense trailer.

They work a hell of a lot better. I remember getting such intense intense stutters around the gates that were more like freezes down to 0 fps for about 5 seconds, over and over in the first builds. I mean they're obviously not in a great place right now, but I think its easy to forget that they actually have improved the past year. Probably because they still aren't yet the dynamic battles we were shown in the 2016 siege defense trailer.
This is not how I would wish us to define progress. Moving from 0.2 fps to 20 fps of still utter stupidity.

This is not how I would wish us to define progress. Moving from 0.2 fps to 20 fps of still utter stupidity.
You may consider adjusting your graphic settings or the expectations of your hardware. If you are capping out at 20 fps in a recent build your specs might be the issue.

The last major update we got regarding sieges was the upcoming Keep battles, but we have had no mention of it in the latest updates and siege towers and ladders are sill pointless to use. Defenders still swarm the ramps and when the tower is pushed to the wall 1 guy is able to drop the ramp. This needs to be improved substantially as Siege Battles are one of the best aspects of medieval battles.

I've recently been having a problem that after the outer gate is destroyed the men stand around and don't take out the second gate.
I don't use towers but often only one ladder is used while the one next to it is empty.
It seems like it getting worse not better, I'm using 1.5.8.

Listen, credit where credit is due. They actually climb the ladders now. I just had 1/3 of my miltia retreat and actually block a stairway so the garrison couldn't get up onto the wall to defend it.

Also, if this is going to be a monthly thing, at least try adding something constructive. Like, the siege towers should be full of men before dropping the bridge, or that there should be more tower landings on each of the maps so the defenders are dispersed etc..

The problem with sieges lies in the battle scene itself. Some of them work correctly and some of them are simply defective.

A siege on Revyl works pretty well. Soldiers climb the ladders and the battering ram crew will break down the inner gate by hand. It was very slick when I sieged it a week ago. There are arrow barrels available on offense and defense.

Legeta and Rhotae are a mess. The archers deploy in one large clump. No one wants to climb the ladders and the battering ram crew does not break down the inner gate. I had to do so myself. I believe they are also the same scene.

There are two castles north east of the Battanian highlands, Flintolg Castle and Uthelaim Castle. This two castles are easy to siege as NO ONE DEFENDS THE WALLS. The defenders all stand around in a large clump in the center of the castle. The two battle scenes are identical. The ladders do seem to work correctly.

Your experience in sieges will vary greatly based on what you attack. Taleworlds needs to do a QA pass on all sieges. I believe that some of them were rushed together before early access. One third of all sieges seem to work most of the time. The rest of them are a mixed bag of badness.

By all means, add arrow barrels to ALL sieges on offense and defense. The battle scenes that have them, like Revyl, are very cool.

Back
Top Bottom