Istanbul? - Konstantinopolis? - Byzantium?

Users who are viewing this thread

past of before the counquest of istanbul isn't important for me. just call it istanbul, i don't care who called it istanbul firstly.

Don Doggy said:
After reading this thread I want to jam a screwdriver into my brain through my nose. Actually I feel like that every time ancalimon posts anything.

why jam it into your brain when you could do yourself, and the whole world, a favour by sticking it into ancalimon's brain?

admittedly, judging by the evidence presented in his threads, that would be quite a feat and may require some form of magnification

ancalimon said:
SootShade said:
Yeah, people were obviously considering about what they were standing on before they actually decided how to say that they are were standing...

You don't need any random bull**** to explain something as simple as standing.

I'm not saying I accept these things. These are obviously what Turks thought in the past.
Because clearly it's more important to use a word to express on what you are doing something, rather than what exactly you are doing?

I like the name Constaniople more than Istanbul. I don;t really care for Greek and Turkish nationalism.

Don Doggy said:
After reading this thread I want to jam a screwdriver into my brain through my nose. Actually I feel like that every time ancalimon posts anything.

Likewise. 

Anyway, the most proper term would probably be Konstantinoplis, because that's when the city was at it's height. 

Bolkonsky said:
Kleidophoros said:
Historically what?
The proper historical name? 
Depends on what you are talkin about but goin with the earliest* name would be proper which is Byzantium in this case.
*Lygos is the earliest name for Istanbul but its a small settlement, doesn't cover a significant part of modern city. Constantinapolis is the 5th or 6th name used for the city; not proper.

Incredible.. It seems like I'm walking on a path that is hidden by layers of dust and dirt.

pol2.gif

"POL" today in Turkish means "an iron or a wood pole that's nailed on the ground to tie animals"
"TABAN" means "Ground"

"POL" I think was a word which meant "strong ground", "strong foundation" "sturdy ground" .  "POLIS" definitely is related to this. What's even more surprising is that in some Turkic dialects it's called "EDEN" which is usually known as Heaven which is also related to "ASILI: HANGED TO HEAVEN" As you know I've been talking about how a city is hanged to Heaven according to ancient Turks. It's no surprise that old maps named Turkestan as "EDEN"

The Ancient Greeks took the Sumerian God Enki (EA) and called the god "POSEIDON". That should be POEDEN or POLEDEN

PO: Strong-eternal-inert-immutable
EDEN: ground, Heaven, the one who does
If it's not EDEN it could also be "AYDIN" which should mean: bright, wise, illuminating

see also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aidan  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81ed_%28given_name%29 (Celtic Sun God)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odin

or it's simply PO-DAN  :  POTENGRI  :  ODEN

pol5.gif

I think Turks called Earth "PO TENGRI" which should mean "eternal, Earth, ground, Heaven Tengri". Also I think when people talked about the KorGöz (Sun, everbright eye) and/or KörGöz (Moon, blind eye) they used "PO" as some kind of adjective.

Now
etr%25C3%25BCsk-harita.png

The Chinese recorded that Turks had a secret underground cave West of Ötüken Mountains named PO-TENGNING-LI

Could these be related as well? : Land of Etruscans "PO River", "PO Plains"  & also  POlonia

Now..

POLAT a given Turkic name and POLATLI is the name of a village in Turkey is another word for "steel" in all Turkic dialects.

This means: The word "POL" meaning "an iron or a wood pole that's nailed on the ground to tie animals" is definitely related to "steel".

AT: means horse. Turks had a pole in front of their homes which was used to tie (BAĞ, BAĞLA "pretty similar to how we pronounce POL") horses.
Turks also called the POLE star "DEMİR KAZIK: Iron Pole" and "GÖĞÜN DİREĞİ: Pole of the Sky" and "KUTSAL AT KAZIĞI:Holy Horse Pole". They thought it was hanged to Earth with an iron pole and two horses were tied, walking around the star.

POLYÜS means "the pole" in Turkic.

POLARIS? The star is named in Turkic.  :wink:  (AR: not horizontal, it has a shape, it's bright, it's high)

POLIS?  it's a Turkic word. Durable, eternal, hanged to heaven, inert, uniform, stationary, relativistic.
POLIS is also related to:  KOL: arm  KOLON: Collumn, pillar, foundation, support.. (KOL:arm ON: universal, eternal) It's cognate to  "reinforcement, assistance, base, etc.."  thus "POLICE" seems like a turkic word as well. "KOLLUK"

What I don't understand is why Turks called "FISH:BALIK"  while also Turks (who were expelled?) called "CITY:BALIK" as well.

What's eternal, durable, hanged to heaven, relativistic, inert, stationary about "fish" ?

Also why do we call "HONEY:BAL"  Did the Turks learn to build cities by looking at how bees built their hives?

ancalimon said:
Incredible.. It seems like I'm walking on a path that is hidden by layers of dust and dirt.

You do understand that sounding dramatic doesn't make your bull**** less bull****ty right?

Oh sorry, forgot you were ancalimon, nevermind what I just said.

Sooo...poles are Turkish?

Oh, and for the record, the Turks weren't the only ones capable of making the "po" syllable with their mouths. 

Bolkonsky said:
Sooo...poles are Turkish?

Oh, and for the record, the Turks weren't the only ones capable of making the "po" syllable with their mouths.

As I said before many of the Europeans were noble soldiers of the Turks who rebelled a couple of thousand years ago. They went to Europe and Asia and tamed the people; Together with Turkic leaders

Surprise. It means things in Turkic. Can't you understand? Turkic is the meeting point of languages.

Back
Top Bottom