Resolved Issue with text chat not displaying properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Salutations,

I have run into an unusual problem which I believe does not affect many people, based on what I have seen in multiplayer. I have not been able to send any text messages either to teammates or opponents in multiplayer (or even have "Testing" messages display in the multiplayer main menu at all). I can open both the (Team) and (All), and type into it, but when I press Enter to post the message it instead shows me something about font colour or some such. The message I can see is slightly different based on whether I was typing into (Team) or (All), but in either case it is not relevant and is probably not visible to anyone else as no one in-game has responded to such, whereas they were definitely capable of sending messages in chat based on tactical communication among my other teammates.
I wanted to post a screen capture of how it appears to me, but since this does not seem possible the text that shows up is the following:
For team chat: <FONT COLOUR="(weird code, I think it's just the color's code)">(Team)(my name)<FONT> - it then cuts off and I cannot scroll past this point in the message horizontally - I can scroll up and down normally but the line is cut off by the chat window and the text does not wrap.
For all chat it's the same except the code is different (likely reflecting the different colour) and it says (All) instead.

I thought maybe uninstalling and reinstalling would solve the issue, but the issue remains. I would like to know how to solve this problem if I can do so on my end, as communication is kind of important in most multiplayer game modes.

Last edited:
Salutations!

I have figured out what the problem was - certain punctuation marks at the start of a Steam name (such as the > in >DINKY<Barbar) cause this issue. I have changed my steam name to no longer have this punctuation character at the start, and the chat worked normally. After leaving the game and changing the name back, the issue returned. As such I can confirm that this is indeed how this happens, and how to avoid it. Those with clan or other group tag incorporated into their names should be advised that some punctuation characters (I did not test them all) will cause issues with the chat displaying.

Thank you!

I apologize for the delay! I have recently tested this and the issue was still appearing when I added the > and < to my Steam name back. As such for now I will continue using the profile name without these punctuation marks.
So in short the issue remains, but the workaround still works.

Back
Top Bottom