Captain Isle of Deriad

Users who are viewing this thread

isleofderiad.png

Please leave all map-related feedback for Isle of Deriad in this thread.

minimap_isle_of_deriad.jpg

Last edited:
This map usually devolves into an infantry rush through the middle, it would be nice to see some more obstacles and stuff in the middle to slow down the advance, and flatten out the ground so archers can actually have a chance to shoot people coming in. Would like to see some more access around A for dominating the map from that position, right now it's actually quite difficult to line up archers to shoot down the hill which just defeats the purpose of taking a hill.

Might be more interesting only allowing bridge access to C as well, the teams can rush to take the safe point of C where they can create a chokepoint but they'll risk being shot and harrassed while doing so and will have to fight for B anyways or the enemy can force them out with B and A taken.

@Mabons is absolutely right. this map is always a fight in the middle. More interesting than the city map but not particularly good. Control of B is too vital. That is to say its too difficult to break out of either point without controlling B. Moving down from A appears to be easier than coming out of C but there really is no reason for either. Its always best to take shields and shocks and overwhelm the enemy immediately at B. Perhaps make the middle longer and wider so cav and archers have more room to maneuver?

+1 no tactical in this map, just a brawl in the middle.

Not necessarily what I meant because there is tactics but it heavily favours that brawl in the middle to decide who gets B as that is the flag that dominates the map. Going all A means your enemy takes B and C and forces C as the last flag(if they wait to take it at the last second) and vice versa for C.
Ok so we take A or C, and rush straight to B after, but they can see this coming and set up defence quickly.
So you’ve got to take B first no matter what or your fighting into a defensive enemy.

Not necessarily what I meant because there is tactics but it heavily favours that brawl in the middle to decide who gets B as that is the flag that dominates the map. Going all A means your enemy takes B and C and forces C as the last flag(if they wait to take it at the last second) and vice versa for C.
Ok so we take A or C, and rush straight to B after, but they can see this coming and set up defence quickly.
So you’ve got to take B first no matter what or your fighting into a defensive enemy.
It's less of a brawl then Streets but yeah too quickly devolves. As always I think this is due to scale. The bigger the map the more time archers and cavalry have to position; shield bearers have to form lines and shock troops have to take cover. When it comes to captains - bigger is almost always better.

Kudos to the map designer though - atmospherically and aesthetically they nailed this map. Looks & sounds stunning.

This map's playable area is too small. Several objects / terrain should be removed or adjusted so that more open space is available. For example the A flag area is way way way too small. Additionally the flags should be moved farther apart so as to utilize more of the maps terrain, rather than forcing players into a small and narrow battlefield.

This map's playable area is too small. Several objects / terrain should be removed or adjusted so that more open space is available. For example the A flag area is way way way too small. Additionally the flags should be moved farther apart so as to utilize more of the maps terrain, rather than forcing players into a small and narrow battlefield.
Agreed.

I'd also like them slightly flatten the area between the two spawns, so that archers have at least some use before the inevitable brawl around B/A channel.

Maybe raise the spawn areas? That might do it.

It is a gorgeous map, just a bit under utilised as it's all so close

A map where it's almost impossible to play as archers (even pre-1.5). The map is simply too small and closed in. The idea of C being in a castle is great, but maybe B and A should be more open, so the one controlling the last flag doesn't just get to bunker in and make the last stand a melee fest. Only viable tactics of winning with a weaker melee faction is to lure the enemy into a better spot for a melee (choke, point for archers to shoot from) but any team with a bit more competence won't get drawn into a situation like this, thus, it almost always ends up being a melee fight. The only "viable" archer faction would be khuzait, because it's horse archers can harass the other team while they camp on a flag, but then countering horse archers in captain is just a matter of taking cavalry to drive it off, which forces both teams to take 2 cav to counter/countercounter the other team.

C has 3 small choke points, one being very defensively advantageous to infantry as they can only be attacked or fired upon from two directions. A has one big checkpoint right on the flag. All you need to do to prevent cavalry from passing through A is to move to the center and charge your infantry and they will usually catch and overwhelm horsemen. I think a start would be making the ruins and houses smaller so they do not block as much line of sight which would make archers and cavalry more flexible near spawn areas. I liked Mabons' idea for C only having 1 access point but it would need a counter balance for cavalry by possibly making the mid-grounds (B) or A less obstructed.

I'm a bit confused because the old version and the snow version are both in rotation. Since the snow version is a direct improvement, it doesn't seem like we need the original anymore.

On the snow version: I really like the changes to the A/B area. This helps out archers a lot, and due to the map size being small with somewhat restricted sightlines, shock troops should still be strong if played correctly. Also, cav can still harass them from most angles.

For those who haven't seen it yet, it looks like this:

VtImqK4.png

There are hills starting near both spawns that lead up to A flag, creating a bowl around B. There are also some rocks on the hills, offering some minor protection to archers standing there.

Snow Deriad is definitely the better Deriad, I really like the direction the team took with adjusting the terrain on this map to make it more open and viable for archers. Great work!

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you like the changes which comes with winter version. Old version of Isle of Deriad removed from rotation at the moment. We will add it later with the improvements.

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you like the changes which comes with winter version. Old version of Isle of Deriad removed from rotation at the moment. We will add it later with the improvements.
Is this gonna be the standard for the existing maps in the future, where if you add a new "skin" to it, you're gonna have the older skin in rotation as well? Are we gonna have multiple seasons for every map? I think it would bring some much needed variety to the MP, even if just graphical, and honestly I wouldn't mind MINOR changes to the layouts either, although things like the changes to the Deriad map on the snow version are much superior and should of course be kept for all iterations.

Is this gonna be the standard for the existing maps in the future, where if you add a new "skin" to it, you're gonna have the older skin in rotation as well? Are we gonna have multiple seasons for every map? I think it would bring some much needed variety to the MP, even if just graphical, and honestly I wouldn't mind MINOR changes to the layouts either, although things like the changes to the Deriad map on the snow version are much superior and should of course be kept for all iterations.
Fall colors on Druimor Forest :love:

About one AI will always get caught if you walk a certain way as team 1, in two different spots.
Below A flag:
pnD1j5gyj
Right next to A Flag:
po952WbAj

Last edited:
Can we get rid of the nighttime version of this map? Near-pitch black conditions is basically unplayable in a game where you need to pay attention to your enemy's animations in order to defend against their attacks.

There is an easily accessed and useful map glitch between A and B flag that should have a barrier, both sides are accessible but this one is really easy to jump so a lot of people know it
pm2R7y7Gj
pmZhEJ28j

Back
Top Bottom