is WFAS worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

I'd blame TaleWorlds. I was looking at the Steam information and NOWHERE does it say that this was developed by a third party. How could I have known it was something else?

I knew I should have listened to myself when I was suspicious about it being less than Warband but noooo, some other forum said it's because Paradox Interactive was reducing its pricing for a lot of games (like Magicka for $10)....

I should have listened to myself...

I checked the character sheet and even "Firearms" is in the "Crossbows" section.

.... =/

What people fail to understand is that this game was actually made in between Mount and Blade and Warband.  It was later updated to the Warband engine but the core game remained the same.  Most people were expecting another step forward in the series but in actuality it is somewhat of a half step back, because it was originally made between the two titles.

I for one like this game.  I like period of time in which the game takes place in and I like the fact that it takes place in real world setting... not saying Calradia is bad or anything. But I mean c'mon, its 15 dollars and has more re-playability then most of the garbage that EA pumps out.

However if you want to get it. Wait til after a patch comes out (tomorrow perhaps) as there is a rather significant bug present.

I was really let down, and I don't think it's worth it. It honestly feels like a mod and I really can't imagine it has taken very long to do.

I do enjoy the new recruitment system, and I some like the shooting thing.

But really now, I've bought pretty much the same game 3 times now. I could say okay to it with warband because it made some pretty major improvements. But this? Less factions, no character bagground, horrible bugs, odd item balancing, and honestly the gun thing really ruins the battles sometimes.

I actually think the game is in many aspects worse htan warbands. This is the first game I've bought in quite a few years that I've been very disapointed with.

If you saw the cash value for this game sitting on the ground, covered with dog mess would you pick it up?  I wouldn't maybe some would and give it a quick rinse and wash and count themselves a winner.

Thats my poor metaphor for this game.  Its got the potential to be worth something, but there's some cleaning and polishing to be done.

Or in less obscure terms, its horribly buggy missions are sometimes borked, troop trees/training don't work without a third party workround and textures are distinctly meh.

I don't hate it, but I'm gonna take a short holiday from it until its fixed.

The new multiplayer mode makes it very fun for me - it reflects the best part of Mount & Blade single player.  To be perfectly honest, though, I would have rather had that mode implemented with the warband balance / units / etc.  then instead of adding new buggy content, just updating the bot A.I. to work better with the new mode, then add a lot of multiplayer-only content...  you know, just to give a defibrillator shock to the community with some new bells and whistles to keep the veteran players around.  The whole mod... the content of it... is way - way - way unfinished.  It really should have been tested better... and I too have lost some faith in Tale Worlds.  Still, I am no where near as disappointed in this title as just about all of the titles released by EA for instance.

Yeah as a long time M&B fan (not as long as some...basically since shortly after the first M&B release), I found this installment very disappointing. I have no interest in non-co-op multiplayer (Deathmatch and Team DM are extremely boring to me) so for me it's all about the singleplayer. And this game is so far below Warband in the SP department, it really does feel like a cheap mod. The graphics blow compared to Warband (textures scream "this is a mod!"), the map is boring as sin (yes I know it's based on a real place, that doesn't make it fun!), the balance is way off (I'm not talking about the guns...they are fine. I'm talking the economics), and pretty much all the character that Warband had is gone.

Just to make sure I wasn't misremembering, I went back and started playing a new guy in Warband. Sure enough, way more fun. Though honestly, I was missing the guns.

When someone who is competent takes hold of this game and fixes it, this game will surely be an awesome game :grin:. Someone said it's worth buying cause it pays 0ff in the long run, that is true :smile:

Coy said:
I personally found it very dissapointing. The melee combat was extremely sluggish and as a result made multiplayer quite lackluster. I think the muskets were well done considering everything. The lower armor value equipment looks good I think (such as the jacket with the powder bells) but the higher level armor looks like ****e. If you don't believe me put on full swedish infantry armor and honestly tell me it looks good.

I only played maybe 20 minutes of SP (considering I don't want to be playing as some bulky bearded man) but what I did play I found less enjoyable than Warband's single player campaign.

Ultimately I think it is up to opinion. But in my opinion WFaS was not even worth the $13 I payed for it. Bug fixes and patches may help, but realeasing an unfinished product was a real let down and really made me lose faith in TW.

Heh, swedish have **** armor. But they seem to also have access to scottish troops.
I don't think the heavy armor looks stupid. I think it looks better than m&bw armor.

It was 13 dollars, guys. Think what else in this life you've spent 13 dollars on. It's like a movie ticket. A few drinks at a bar. A bad dinner.

Point is that a lot of people here are crying like mommy and daddy aren't going to buy them another game this month. Sure this game isn't the next evolution in M&B, but I appreciate it for what it is. For pure dollar vs. time played, its a great bargain, especially when considering a lot of the alternatives.

Sure, some of the mods out there might be deeper, or even better games. But if you haven't donated to those projects then you don't get to call WFAS a rip off.

Danger Moose said:
Sure, some of the mods out there might be deeper, or even better games. But if you haven't donated to those projects then you don't get to call WFAS a rip off.
Most mods you cannot donate to. In fact, it would be a breach of copyright with the game-maker. I don't follow the logic?

Do I need to cite the numerous examples of cease and desist letters served to modders using references from the Warcraft universe?

Regardless, I still don't follow the logic of the argument...mods are free, you don't give them money, so now you are NOT ripped off for giving this money even though you are disappointed?

Think about it this way you could buy WFaS of you could buy Call of Duty: first strike.
They cost the same amount of money.

Untold said:
If TaleWorlds isn't responsible then which one of these developers should we be complaining at? Snowberry Connection, Sich Studio, TaleWorlds, CD Projekt
CD project is polish publisher like Paradox. Why would you be complaining to them if they didn't publish your version?
Snowberry Connection is an international fund for financing & production of games from independent teams.

I believe modders put more time into making mods than the creators of Fire and Sword. There are very basic stuff that they could have changed !! stone textures from mountandblade alpha, pirate grunt, dialogue boxes and MUSIC god dam it! why is there still old warband or mountandblade music in this game?!

i agree almost all music is from m&b and warband and a few that is part of WFAS, but it's like the most lamest OST i ever heard in my life. i'm playing mp and i hear some banjo music with some low pitch flute, thats so lame!

Caba`drin said:
Do I need to cite the numerous examples of cease and desist letters served to modders using references from the Warcraft universe?

Regardless, I still don't follow the logic of the argument...mods are free, you don't give them money, so now you are NOT ripped off for giving this money even though you are disappointed?

Because obviously they're the kind of person who thinks everything in life should be free. It feels to me like a lot of people are put off simply by the fact that they had to pay for something that they considered little more than a shallow mod.

Was purchasing "With Fire and Sword" worth it?

As of right now, the short answer is no -- the game is not worth the money compared to other similarly-priced games (or even cheaper ones) and, in fact, there are better mods for Warband out there with similar themes. 

...However...

I think the idea of having a renaissance-based Mount & Blade might be interesting -- if done correctly -- though a serious consideration for new additions is needed.  I'm talking about new terrain styles, obstacles, customizable options, and substance relative to the time period, like ships, carriages, stage coaches, explorable locales, etc.  I'd also like to see new gadgets that were either invented or utilized around this time period, such as sword-breakers, whips, or fireworks. 

New locales would also be good -- explorable places like forests, mines, or ruins could be randomly generated to give players a chance to ambush political enemies, arrange secret meetings, etc. 

Finally, there were a number of political events -- from masquerade balls, to plays, to other forms of entertainment -- that could add an interesting twist to what Warband called "feasts." 

I know that is sound like a lot... but when you're charging as much money for the game as titles like "Call of Duty" and "Total War" you have to be willing to put this much work into the quality of the product.  Right now the game is frankly less innovative than many mods I've seen -- and a great deal more expensive.  It's time to start thinking of ways to give players what they're paying for. 

Back
Top Bottom