Is this mod insane, or is it just me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Momaw

Knight
1.) Archers are ridiculously deadly.  My first two battles in N.E. resulted in arbitrary random deaths by archer:  the first time I got hit for 90 damage, the second time for 105 damage.  Both were hits in the head from a range where I didn't even realize I was under attack.  Random arbitrary deaths suck: game design 101  (yes, I had a helmet; "only" a spiked helm, not a lordly heavy reinforced adamantine sallet helm).

2.) Some new weapons are just ridiculous in general.  Halberd.  Hey, let's take a poleaxe, make it twice as fast, and do 50% more damage!  Seax.  Let's make a long knife that does as much damage as a good cut and thrust sword, but is faster and lighter!

3.) Bandits are ridiculously powerful.  My army of mercenary arbalestiers, crossbowmen, and  veteran spearmen was minced by mountain bandits; I think my men got 6 kills, and suffered 60 casualties.  Bandits are guys who have been living away form civilization, eating roots they dig out of the ground and maintaining their weapons with a rock.

4.) Arbalests are not guns.  It looks and sounds silly. You also can't see where your projectile is going in flight, so it's impossible to tell why your target didn't get hit.  Also, regular crossbows are now crap: even with a crossbows skill of 240,  I can't hit anybody at a distance where I might get more than one shot off.

5.) Troop tree is so massive that I have no idea what anybody is going to be carrying, let alone how powerful they are in relation to other units. Easily solved by making a nice diagram.

In general, I get the impression that this mod was designed for, and balanced against, level 62 ultra-heavy-cavalry players who play the game on 1/2 or 1/4 damage.  Having ultra-elite troops is all well and good, but the fact that they're so damn common means that common troops are effectively invisible and useless, leaving all the killing on the player's plate.  Pity that I'm not actually playing ultra-heavy-cav: I'm a leader, I have leader type skills, and I'm not on the front lines.  When my "veteran" army evaporates in front of an equally army of ultra-elite troops,....

Oh well.  I doubt anybody cares, I just thought I'd give some examples why this mod makes a very poor first impression.

get knights to kill for you,
Get khergits to hunt for the survivours
get yourself for terrorist tactics....
dodge the bullets

I play this game on full damage as a leader-type, same as you.

I'm surprised your mercs couldn't beat the mountain bandits, but then again, as you say, the game does stil lfavour heavy cavalry heavily. it's fairly simple to solo a mob of 20-30 ruthless bandits with a charger or two on your side.

The hardest part of this mod is tarting off, once you have your first 100-man army it's fairly easy in my view.

Get some archers/crossbowman and hold your position until they come close enough from your line, if you shoot it also helps (when the enemy is distant you should aim higher) and sent the infantary charge. If they are recruits, some probably will die, so give them a trainement to the 2nd tier.

You shouldn't fight mercenaries, to a begginer army they are really strong.

Momaw said:
1.) Archers are ridiculously deadly.  My first two battles in N.E. resulted in arbitrary random deaths by archer:  the first time I got hit for 90 damage, the second time for 105 damage.  Both were hits in the head from a range where I didn't even realize I was under attack.  Random arbitrary deaths suck: game design 101  (yes, I had a helmet; "only" a spiked helm, not a lordly heavy reinforced adamantine sallet helm).

2.) Some new weapons are just ridiculous in general.  Halberd.  Hey, let's take a poleaxe, make it twice as fast, and do 50% more damage!  Seax.  Let's make a long knife that does as much damage as a good cut and thrust sword, but is faster and lighter!

3.) Bandits are ridiculously powerful.  My army of mercenary arbalestiers, crossbowmen, and  veteran spearmen was minced by mountain bandits; I think my men got 6 kills, and suffered 60 casualties.  Bandits are guys who have been living away form civilization, eating roots they dig out of the ground and maintaining their weapons with a rock.

4.) Arbalests are not guns.  It looks and sounds silly. You also can't see where your projectile is going in flight, so it's impossible to tell why your target didn't get hit.  Also, regular crossbows are now crap: even with a crossbows skill of 240,  I can't hit anybody at a distance where I might get more than one shot off.

5.) Troop tree is so massive that I have no idea what anybody is going to be carrying, let alone how powerful they are in relation to other units. Easily solved by making a nice diagram.

In general, I get the impression that this mod was designed for, and balanced against, level 62 ultra-heavy-cavalry players who play the game on 1/2 or 1/4 damage.  Having ultra-elite troops is all well and good, but the fact that they're so damn common means that common troops are effectively invisible and useless, leaving all the killing on the player's plate.  Pity that I'm not actually playing ultra-heavy-cav: I'm a leader, I have leader type skills, and I'm not on the front lines.  When my "veteran" army evaporates in front of an equally army of ultra-elite troops,....

Oh well.  I doubt anybody cares, I just thought I'd give some examples why this mod makes a very poor first impression.

All I can say is, that this mod adds realism by making it harder for the player to start out,
but gradually you will see that once you have a decent fighting force and decent fighting skills of your own, you will start to complain
about how easy it is to win 120 vs 300 battles with few casualties, like many others have complained.
This is mainly due to the fact that once you have about 30-50 highest tier troops, the game gets easy.

The mod is still at an early stage so some stuff are going to be balanced(in the next patch, there will be an overhaul on training top-tier troops)
However, I think the mod is still fun as it is, and all you need to do train good troops and not be over confident to attack another lord's party until you have some 80 good decent troops. And only go siege a castle if you have over 120 troops(some do it with less the first time)

edit: I also just read that higher level troops now do more damage to lower level troops, so  level 20 versus a level 6 can deal good damage

No need for that, Iron. I'm going to remove your post.

1) I don't remember what it said.

2) I haven't been able to work on it for ages and I handle items.

3) That's extremely strange, since you should have killed them ridiculously easily.

4) That was a mistake that occurred when I was working with only the text files. I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but Jinnai transplanted it into items.py, and I haven't had a computer, again.

5) Troop trees ARE being changed soon. They will be split or something like that. Troops will be changed as well. Remember, you were the people who asked that Kingdoms get more elite units and less regulars.

Also, if you can't deal with bandits using the best archers of each faction, you'll really be enjoying some new features in the future. :lol:

Momaw said:
Unlucky. I've been playing various versions for months, and the latest version for 140 in-gme days and never had that happen. Maybe you should move more. In any battle with ranged weapons, standing out in the open is like having a target on your face. Move, or seek cover. Learn and adapt, rather than ask for it to be made easier for you.

Momaw said:
I can't really comment on this, except to say the knives are generally much shorter than swords, so it's a swings/roundabout type decision.

Momaw said:
I don't think I've ever been beaten by mountain bandits, except if I try to solo them early on, and I am not an Uber player. Clearly if you fancy yourself a leader, you are a not very good leader. Your choice of troops is poor, and/or your tactics dont work. So change those things.

Momaw said:
Can't comment on this either, since I seldom use crossbows, except if I get stuck with one by default at the start of the game. And I ditch them as soon as I get a decent sword/spear. So you could be 100% spot on here.

Momaw said:
So why don't you do that, make a diagram, rather than complain. Look at your troops, note weaponry and ability. Write down, and when they upgrade, repeat.

Momaw said:
Your strategies and tactics and choices don't work. Instead of changing them, you want the game nerfed to suit your rigid playing style. Hire some mercenaries, knights and horsemen, instead of spearmen. Pick "charge!" at the start of the battle. Stop posing at the back giving orders that are getting your men slaughtered, and actually kill one or two foes yourself, and you'll probably fare a lot better.

Sorry if that seems harsh.

I am at the point where if i want to be able to make a kill nefore my forces kill all i will have to order them to dismount and ride after the enemy at start - if i dont do that they will kill all without me moving a finger - especially if i am not outnumbered......you need to change tactics mister.....

The one hit headshot is bleeding annoying.. I will concur with that. But the only ranged unit that needs nerfing is Ivory Archers IMHO. Honestly, mercenaries are throw away units, they are meant to be there to die until you can train up better units.

The Mercenary said:
No need for that, Iron. I'm going to remove your post.

1) I don't remember what it said.

2) I haven't been able to work on it for ages and I handle items.

3) That's extremely strange, since you should have killed them ridiculously easily.

4) That was a mistake that occurred when I was working with only the text files. I'm not exactly sure how it happened, but Jinnai transplanted it into items.py, and I haven't had a computer, again.

5) Troop trees ARE being changed soon. They will be split or something like that. Troops will be changed as well. Remember, you were the people who asked that Kingdoms get more elite units and less regulars.

Also, if you can't deal with bandits using the best archers of each faction, you'll really be enjoying some new features in the future. :lol:

I just love how Merc handles things XD Umm sadly I have to agree with other users here,
1. Dont stand in open field an smile at them and for sieges, FIRE BACK!
2. Some halberds were lightweight not all were excess heavy... an if you build your guy up with enough muscle he looks at the berd and says "what the hell, its uber light" haha (i know STR has nothing to do with it, its the AGI part :razz: ) Not my point though, some where designed for quick hits to end someones good day.
3. If you losing to bandits or the hungry ones (forgot what their name was) then my suggestion is GET BETTER UNITS, Ride in with more horses, make archers Volley, have others follow the horses. The horse units WERE more powerful than a man with a sword, now if u rush a Rhodok with horses say BUH BYE! They will get spear walled every damn time, which btw is realistic so TY Merc an Jinnai
4. Thats debatable.... Some arlabesters were designed to hit like a cannon, w/o a cannon ball... they aren't crossbows for kids ya know, those bastards packed a punch hence why their units were regarded as STAY THE **** AWAY units lol
5. OMG your ACTUALLY complaining about the troop tiers??? WTF man, it adds replay value! Hell run one way with a unit an if it dont work out, dont go that tier again....  Merc, Jinnai... again The more the merrier! makes things a little more strategic and adds fun so people like me know "oh hey look..... last tier... yay so soon? Oh great now im a God Army.... -_- so noooooo adding the length to get the powner of units makes it enjoyable an strategic to keep em alive :smile:

Firstly as per ranged deaths; you will have to learn to be careful! If you don't like the realism then drop the damage to player down. Above all else you can't safely charge an archer line on your own (as it should be!). NE strongly favours balanced armies. An army of pure knights is certainly incredible, but it is far more expensive, and far less effective at sieging, than a balanced army of 2/5 archer, 2/5 infantry, 1/5 mounted. Personally, I position my troops depending on the enemy at its tactics (defensive, all out charge, steady advance etc), then I lead my small band of cavalry to flank the enemy archer line. I then bring my archers into range of the enemy infantry formation before advancing my infantry quickly up normally in line formation, but against heavy cavalry in square formation, before charging my cavalry into the enemy archers. By the time the archers are disrupted and attempting to melee my cavalry my infantry have been able to safely, and out of enemy ranged fire, adance up to engage the remnants of their infantry. To me, at least, it feels far more satisfying and fun than a boring charge of 50 heavy knights, and rarely do I take many casualties thanks to disrupting the enemy ranges units. If you still can' handle bandits with, frankly, the superb quality of mercenaries then I suggest you try battle sizer 2!

As for the arbalest I do agree mostly, but as merc has said it i an unintentional bug. The speed of crossbows, however, is better and more realistic in my opinion, and the ramped up damage of them more than compensates (masterwork siege crossbow does base damage of 70!).

As for the troop trees, it is pretty obvious what a "Two handed swordsman" or a "Knight-Lord" or a "Partisan" does. The size of them can only be a benefit; you certainly do not need to follow all possible paths for your own army, and the increased number of tiers means it takes longer for recruits to reach the higher tiers. Notice, too, that some of the upgrades have the same cost as the previous tier representing the greater experience of the troop etc. This is the first stage to Merc's aim of restricting the number of higher tiers; a Knight-Captain will, soon, be more of a special unit than a Knight, in spite of its identical cost.

Final thing; learn to use the new, and brilliant, tactical option added by NE. Spearwalls, formations and morale add much more than they may sound.

Actually, charging through archer lines is what I do best (But then again, I am level 39,full uncheated lordly armor, and can eat multiple arrows to the head and still sip from my horn of ale while cutting down those men with long ranged poking sticks)

DamienZharkoff said:
Actually, charging through archer lines is what I do best (But then again, I am level 39,full uncheated lordly armor, and can eat multiple arrows to the head and still sip from my horn of ale while cutting down those men with long ranged poking sticks)
hehe indeed, but I don't think the op could :razz: In fact, my current character has 10 riding (just because I wanted to see how fast is fast!) so I often ride a heavy courser; I can cover the hundred odd metres that I am under fire for in about 3 seconds  :twisted: My horse is normally dropped on the second or third pass, which is intentional as fighting on foot is more deadly, so I whip out my halbard and gut the archer line.

He has a bit of a point with the new weapons. A few of the old weapons could use some rebalancing. At the same time though, Seaxes/halberds/arbalists even longswords were rather a step above your typical sword or knife. I just wish that you could add the Fransisca throwing axe (A weapon that could be thrown, or used to hack away at people), but that aside: Guess you just can't please everyone *Shrug*

ash12181987 said:
He has a bit of a point with the new weapons. A few of the old weapons could use some rebalancing. At the same time though, Seaxes/halberds/arbalists even longswords were rather a step above your typical sword or knife. I just wish that you could add the Fransisca throwing axe (A weapon that could be thrown, or used to hack away at people), but that aside: Guess you just can't please everyone *Shrug*

the main problem with the dual function weapon (ranged+melee etc) is that engine is not built for this, I believe. I have heard of similar problems with people trying to incorporate bayonets on muskets etc.

As far as weapons with a double function, the first thought that came to mind was the 1h/2h weapons, would it be possible to do some sort of variation on that in order to get a weapon with multiple functions? would it be possible to make a weapon take up multiple weapon slots at once to represent bigger bulkier weapons? and as you swap weapons each slot could represent a one of its 2 functions?

Mini Marine said:
As far as weapons with a double function, the first thought that came to mind was the 1h/2h weapons, would it be possible to do some sort of variation on that in order to get a weapon with multiple functions? would it be possible to make a weapon take up multiple weapon slots at once to represent bigger bulkier weapons? and as you swap weapons each slot could represent a one of its 2 functions?

Nope.
Nope.
And nope.  But only because of the second nope.

If we could change out the inventory of agents I could do this.  But there's no way to do that.  And there's no way to force a single item to take up two slots, keeping them together at all times like you suggest.  :???:  Not being able to alter agent inventories after they've spawned is something that's really bothering some of the things I want to implement at the moment.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, in very special cases it would be possible to do something like this only if you completely control all the items going onto a troop, like in tournaments.  Then you could force the two types of the same weapon into the 2 weapon slots for any of the troops, but it overwrites whatever was in those two slots for the duration of the battle.  And it has to do with the entry in the spawn list that troop came from... so if you tried to do that in a field battle, for instance, you'd end up replacing the weapons of almost every unit on one of the two sides...  So it could be done for very special and specific missions, but not in general...

Back
Top Bottom