Is there proper way to loose arrows simultaneously?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jansuk

Recruit
Currently if you told archers to hold fire they but their bows away and equip swords.

Is there any way or mods coming to that you can separately command archers to only hold fire but still pick their targets with bows until i command to loose? It would be cool to command and fire like that :cool:

There shouldn't be. For a very good reason explained in this Lindybeige video from a distant past when he didn't make hour-long rants! I spared you the rest of the vid, it starts at the proper timemark.

There shouldn't be. For a very good reason explained in this Lindybeige video from a distant past when he didn't make hour-long rants! I spared you the rest of the vid, it starts at the proper timemark.

Yeah i was aware of that but it could be that they still keep they bow in their hands and eyeball their targets. Not equip swords if i say hold fire and enemy is still 100meters away? And when i say loose or fire at will. They still going to fire very much together and faster compared to first holster their swords -> pick bows -> pick target and loose

I think you’re more getting into the idea of formations of archers loosing volleys at formations of the enemy rather than each seeking targets individually. I have no idea what the historicity is there, but I suspect it’d need to be programmed very differently. Formations in Mount and Blade games don’t really work much like they would in real life, it’s more like an ‘every man for himself simulator’.

I think you’re more getting into the idea of formations of archers loosing volleys at formations of the enemy rather than each seeking targets individually. I have no idea what the historicity is there, but I suspect it’d need to be programmed very differently. Formations in Mount and Blade games don’t really work much like they would in real life, it’s more like an ‘every man for himself simulator’.

Most archer units in history didn't shoot at individual target they just shoot at same distance and arrows were killing randomly fighters running under them. The whole archers trainng was about shooting at the same distance (especialy since most archer units were just peasants that got their bow from lord).

It's only a game, I mean :
We could have whatever we would like to have, there is no historical consistency at all...
There's no point speaking about historical evidence of this or that, archers should be able to shoot volleys and that's all...

it would be fun and it would add some sort of strategic value more than historical value...

I SUPPORT THE VOLLEY FIRE FOR ARCHERS ! :smile:

Most archer units in history didn't shoot at individual target they just shoot at same distance and arrows were killing randomly fighters running under them. The whole archers trainng was about shooting at the same distance (especialy since most archer units were just peasants that got their bow from lord).

I suspected as much

Guys. I don't need to know how did you fight as a archers in middle ages. Can you focus the "problem" here:

Why they have to equip swords when i told them to hold fire and enemy is still very far away? Only to holster their swords and again equip bows when i told them to loose arrows; or fire at will?

Last edited:
Agreed, they should at least keep their bow at the ready until we command them to fire. If you want to switch them to melee then just have a command that tells Archers to use Melee instead? Unless that's already in... if that's the case then Archers should not be switching to melee when they're told to hold fire. They should be At the Ready.

That is how most massed bowmen/crossbows worked but steppe archers tended to pick targets individually unless doing launches of flight arrows from away or English longbowmen when the distance got under 100 yards did aim individually just as Bannerlord does (mostly because rear ranks of ranged soldiers in a formation can't see/get the angle to shoot anything at close ranges). The best archers were positioned at the front of a formation where they had the strongest bows and best aim to pick individual targets and get off 1 or 2 devastating volley before it was melee or the enemy was retreating due to the volley.

The weapons switch happens pretty fast in game... just adjust your timing to call fire at will a second or two earlier and you get the result you want.

I really don't think archer should be auto switching to melee just because you tell them to hold fire.... Not only does it make volley firing difficult.. it also makes their response time really bad if you want to conserve ammo and then quickly react to an enemy advance

I don't think we need anything. Just like in real life, volley fire was handled with orders. In Fire and Sword, you had to do the same thing. Order your troops to Hold Fire. Wait until they reloaded. When all of the guns were up, you'd order Fire At Will. Wait until they had all discharged, then order Hold Fire. Repeat.

Since each of those orders are only a quick 2-tap on the keyboard, I'd rather not introduce the potential for glitches or bugs by creating a third QoL mode that essentially saves only one input.

I don't think we need anything. Just like in real life, volley fire was handled with orders. In Fire and Sword, you had to do the same thing. Order your troops to Hold Fire. Wait until they reloaded. When all of the guns were up, you'd order Fire At Will. Wait until they had all discharged, then order Hold Fire. Repeat.

Since each of those orders are only a quick 2-tap on the keyboard, I'd rather not introduce the potential for glitches or bugs by creating a third QoL mode that essentially saves only one input.
wtf are you even talking about?

Well if not a separate command to "Hold fire" and "Use melee weapons". They could still keep their main weapons: bows in their hands when commanded to hold fire IF enemy is still like +10 meters away. There is already system that they will automatically equip swords if enemy is already too close no matter if player has given any commands for that.

Why is there even hold fire function then? They already automatically equip sword or other close combat weapons when needed?

Current system is just impractical, slow and makes no sense at all for me.

Problem is that in your example, using orders for your musketeers would have them put away their muskets and draw their blades when told to hold fire

wtf are you even talking about?

Well if not a separate command to "Hold fire" and "Use melee weapons". They could still keep their main weapons: bows in their hands when commanded to hold fire IF enemy is still like +10 meters away. There is already system that they will automatically equip swords if enemy is already too close no matter if player has given any commands for that.

Why is there even hold fire function then? They already automatically equip sword or other close combat weapons when needed?

Current system is just impractical, slow and makes no sense at all for me.
Problem is that in your example, using orders for your musketeers would have them put away their muskets and draw their blades when told to hold fire

!? ?

Huh???

No, the way the system in the past worked (for Fire and Sword at least), was that you ordered your troops to "Hold Fire"...not "Switch to melee weapons". Two separate orders. They would load their muskets and stand still. When the enemy was in range, they would aim their weapons. When you ordered "Fire at Will", they would discharge their weapons in a volley, then immediately begin reloading them. Order "Hold Fire" again, and the system would repeat.

Honestly, I don't think I ever tried the same thing in Warband, as I never really felt the need. I'd rather have my troops shoot whomever they can, as most arrows don't do all that much damage anyway. Better to have them maximise the fire rate and damage, imo. I've only got a handful of archers in my party at the moment, but I'll fiddle with things later on and see how it goes.

!? ?

Huh???

No, the way the system in the past worked (for Fire and Sword at least), was that you ordered your troops to "Hold Fire"...not "Switch to melee weapons". Two separate orders. They would load their muskets and stand still. When the enemy was in range, they would aim their weapons. When you ordered "Fire at Will", they would discharge their weapons in a volley, then immediately begin reloading them. Order "Hold Fire" again, and the system would repeat.

Honestly, I don't think I ever tried the same thing in Warband, as I never really felt the need. I'd rather have my troops shoot whomever they can, as most arrows don't do all that much damage anyway. Better to have them maximise the fire rate and damage, imo. I've only got a handful of archers in my party at the moment, but I'll fiddle with things later on and see how it goes.
Oh absoutely :smile: It did work like that in warband + fire and sword, but in bannerlord they equip their sidearms

I don't think we need anything.
I'd rather have my troops shoot whomever they can, as most arrows don't do all that much damage anyway. Better to have them maximise the fire rate and damage, imo
So i'm curious. Are you just wandering around threads were other players are suggesting some features. Only to tell that you don't think you need this function even if it's not affecting your gaming at all?

Last edited:
Oh absoutely :smile: It did work like that in warband + fire and sword, but in bannerlord they equip their sidearms

Yes they do. Just tested it, and it does seem that any sort of Hold Fire will immediately switch to melee weapons. So this is working differently than in the past games. (Or at least what I'm remembering. I know for an absolute fact it was very possible -- and extremely effective -- to fire by volley in F&S. I really can't remember ever even trying it in Warband. But I do know there was a separate "Switch to melee" command in both of the older games.)

I guess it would be cool to have a "Volley, on my command!" option. Then, we just tap the same key again every time we want them to loose. Still, I'd vouch to say the damage output will be worse than when they just fire at will. (But who knows. If you have enough of them, maybe they could work in a big hit to morale or something to offset the damage?)

Back
Top Bottom