Is there no way to force troops in Bannerlord to use spears?

Users who are viewing this thread

As we know AI troops in Bannerlord prefer to use onehanded and two handed weapon when fighting other infantry. This has created a problem where Menavlion and pike wielding infantry units seldom use their main weapons. This is just silly.

So my question is, is there a way to force the AI to use spears and polearms? Is there a line of code somewhere that can be modified to change this? I know the AI in its current state isn't smart enough to make efficient use of polearms but I like having the option.

What I did a mod of mine was to just remove the other weapons from the troops. As an example, I gave battania archers. All the tiers have a bow and arrows. The first two tiers have any of the following; 1h, spear, or shield. Tier 3 has 1h, and shield. Final and fourth tier have spear only. This means that my final tier archers are also spearmen, which is awesome. I can withstand small cavalry charges by making the men hold arrows.

I don't think there is any other way right now to handle what they use, except with bow and melee.

EDIT:

You can download my "BattaniaHasArchers" mod from the nexus and check what I did with the Battanian ranged tree. You have to be precise, since the game does not overwrite native files with mod files for some reason, but instead combines them. This means that any changes you make to a troop will become a part of the "choose from this random set of equipment" list, rather than making the changes the new norm. Since I'm a bit bored, if you want, I can mod this for you. If it's enough to mod the menavlion troop only it shouldn't take me too long.

Upvote 0
Maybe in future updates we might have that but apparently there is no official solution to it and its simply so annoying that troops only equip their one handed and two handed weapons in the most needed situtation and simply lose their all meaning.

Upvote 0
Maybe in future updates we might have that but apparently there is no official solution to it and its simply so annoying that troops only equip their one handed and two handed weapons in the most needed situtation and simply lose their all meaning.
I was reading the new beta patch notes and it said something about weapons, so maybe they tweaked it a little? But it's hard to make a units AI realize when it's in danger from cavs and when it's not, with hundreds of troops running around. Maybe if the unit were to be targeted only by cav im melee, they would take out their spears or something.

Upvote 1
A way is formation like shield wall that force units to use shield and stand tight. So like a pike line or pike wall can help with initial tactical phase. I think a lot of guys already have solutions of mods regard this aspect.

But for moment to moment decisions it's abit deeper than simple fix like formation. Which btw, I think polearm related units performs pretty good in native, in recent patches. I was like many times the guy I'm charging at already swinging it, in the chaos-after-impact phase also.

Upvote 0
I got actually exactly oposite problem in RBM. I recently changed damage of all weapons in RBM to more reflect available experimental data, so spears ended up with similiar raw damage as swords and axes. Problem is that in combination with recent vanilla patches units always prefer spears and even clunky lances over swords, axes and often even maces! Anyone knows which part of code is responsible for this?

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom